PDA

View Full Version : The More Coats Of Wax The Better????????

Pages : [1] 2 3

trhland
02-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Is It True The More Coats Of Wax The Better?? I Know Applying 2 Coats Is Better For Protection And Gloss But What About Like 50 Coats?? Is That To Much ? Is It Good To Use A Solvent Based Wax Once And A While To Strip Off The Wax To Start Fresh. Is It Bad To Keep Waxing The Same Paint Is To Much Wax Bad?

ltoman
02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Is It True The More Coats Of Wax The Better?? I Know Applying 2 Coats Is Better For Protection And Gloss But What About Like 50 Coats?? Is That To Much ? Is It Good To Use A Solvent Based Wax Once And A While To Strip Off The Wax To Start Fresh. Is It Bad To Keep Waxing The Same Paint Is To Much Wax Bad?

I would like to know too - how many coats within what period of time is good?
(Caranubas and others. I use the caranubas, personally.)
Anyone?
Good question, Tom and Samantha!:) Feed back please

trhland
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM
I would like to know too - how many coats within what period of time is good?
(Caranubas and others. I use the caranubas, personally.)
Anyone?
Good question, Tom and Samantha!:) Feed back please i talked to a detailer down the road the other day and he said hes got like a hundred coats on his truck .he said more is better but id rather find out from you guys im sure you guys know more then him ya know

quantim0
02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Most people seem to agree that after 2-3 coats you aren't going to gain much. You might gain a little depth, but the cost of wax and time spend applying vs. the gain would not make it worthwhile.

ltoman
02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Most people seem to agree that after 2-3 coats you aren't going to gain much. You might gain a little depth, but the cost of wax and time spend applying vs. the gain would not make it worthwhile.

within what period of time? a month? 6 months?

Nuke33
02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I dont see how it would hurt to apple once a week.... Only thing it might hurt is your wallet

trhland
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
within what period of time? a month? 6 months?not sure he waxes every week he says.

sparkie
02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
You need to wax about every 2 months are so IMO.

ltoman
02-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I dont see how it would hurt to apple once a week.... Only thing it might hurt is your wallet

the Vette AND AG already hurt my wallet, are you kidding??
hee hee
lol

Dieseldan
02-19-2007, 07:10 PM
just make sure the wax is a pure wax with no cleaners, if so you are not actually layering anything :-)

I will be layering souveran this summer

P1et
02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I have read that anything more than 3 layers is just a bit silly.

quantim0
02-19-2007, 07:17 PM
I think you need to separate the layers by about 24 hours. I do two coats once a month.

wytstang
02-20-2007, 12:29 AM
I apply as needed (slickness and beading diminish) as far as more the better I don't agree with that. With each layer you are applying a thin optically clear coat of wax, however the more you layer the more it becomes less clear. Think of 10 pieces of clear glass stacked together, if they are clear you should see the other side crystal clear. Well it's not you lose some of the clarity with more and more sheets of glass (I work with glass for a living). Further more most waxes are yellow in color and although not yellow when applied super thin coats, the more you layer the more its original tint becomes more apparent. I have no proof to back this up this is just *my opinion*

Jimmie
02-20-2007, 01:00 AM
This is just one mans opinion but it has been my belief for a long time. Granted anything over two coats is probably not cost effective, but I don't get the results that I like until I get to five (5) coats. I just keep waxing weekly after a wash. After five coats it looks like you could climb into the paint. Only do one coat per week (Souveran).

supercharged
02-20-2007, 03:10 AM
2 coats, maybe 3 at the most will be effective. Everything else - you are wasting product.