PDA

View Full Version : Buffing pad types (not colors) - what is your flavor?

Detail_Dude
11-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Friends -

An enormous amount of reading educated me to the existince of a wide variety of buffing pad 'types', the most popular of which (although in no particular order) are:

- Flat
- CCS
- Hydrotech
- Cross Groove
- Hex

Yep, I realize there are a few different brands across these, ranging from Lake Country to Cobra, to Chemical Guys and Adams. I am also aware the Hydrotech pads are meant to be used with water-based products (e.g., Menzerna & Blackfire - probably others too) as opposed to silicone-based.

I also realize there are a range of colors with varying cuts for specific purposes.

Here come the questions....

Since I am new to detailng, I would like to know which of these is considered 'new' or at least 'recent' technology versus old-school.

What do you folks out there like and why?

Lastly (all good things come in 3's)...what's the concensus on using 5.5" pads (on my PC 7424XP) with only a 3.5" backing plate? A safe bet, or not advisable?

Thanks everyone!

-Jon

Flannigan
11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I would not use the 5.5" pads on your 3.5" backing plate. The pad won't have enough support and won't work the way it is intended. Either get a bigger BP or use smaller 4" pads.

I would say that the most recent pads from that list are the HT pads. However, since they came out, Meguiars and Optimum have ocme out with Microfiber pads that work great on DA machines. For cutting, I don't think you can beat a MF pad. They cut great, and finish pretty well too on most paints. That being said, the HT tangerine pads are some of the most versitile pads I have ever used. they cut almost as well as LC orange pads, and finish just like the black LC pads. You can use them for medium swirl removal or finishing depending on the polish you pair with them.

hope that helps.

05xrunner
11-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Low Profile HT pads and MF pads

silverfox
11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Speaking as a DA polisher user:

1) Cutting...Optimum or Meg's MF cutting pads

2) Polishing...Optimum or Megs MF cutting/polishing pads; Hydro Tech Tangerine foam

2) Finishing...Lake Country black, or LC Hydro Tech crimson foam. Some very hard paints respond nicely to Optimum or Meg's MF polishing/finishing pads.

You should have both foam and MF for both polishing and finishing...but for cutting, MF is here to stay!

Polishes are just as important to match up with these pads...so you have 1/2 the equation with pad selection.

Detail_Dude
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Low Profile HT pads and MF pads

Low profile..interesting. I woould have thought a thicker pad would be more conducive to better results with increased presssure (polishing, of course, not finishing).

Speaking as a DA polisher user:

2) Finishing...Lake Country black, or LC Hydro Tech crimson foam. Some very hard paints respond nicely to Optimum or Meg's MF polishing/finishing pads. .

Cool! I would have thought Lake Country Blue (in the foam category) for Finishing. Understood on teh HT Crimson.

I should check Meg's adn Optimum's MF pad offerings. Thanks for the info.

05xrunner
11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
thinker pads will just bog down your PC more and make it not spin and that means no correction..the low profiles have less mass so the machine can keep them spinning better and means they are doing their job

RaskyR1
11-21-2011, 11:02 AM
I would not use the 5.5" pads on your 3.5" backing plate. The pad won't have enough support and won't work the way it is intended. Either get a bigger BP or use smaller 4" pads.

I would say that the most recent pads from that list are the HT pads. However, since they came out, Meguiars and Optimum have ocme out with Microfiber pads that work great on DA machines. For cutting, I don't think you can beat a MF pad. They cut great, and finish pretty well too on most paints. That being said, the HT tangerine pads are some of the most versitile pads I have ever used. they cut almost as well as LC orange pads, and finish just like the black LC pads. You can use them for medium swirl removal or finishing depending on the polish you pair with them.

hope that helps.

What he said. :)

Detail_Dude
11-21-2011, 11:07 AM
That makes sense, especially since I noticed my bad habit of putting too much pressure on my PC as it is, causing vibration but not or very slow rotation. I put a little black line on the BP to monitor, of course.

Detail_Dude
11-21-2011, 11:47 AM

hope that helps.

Would you say I can use my existing backing plates (used for my foam LC's) with either Optimum or Meg's Microfiber pads?

How about polishes and glazes....is the popular lineup (Meg's, Menzerna, etc.) fine to use with the MF pads?

I have to order a couple and try them out for myself :) but like to know what teh GP thinks.

Flannigan
11-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Would you say I can use my existing backing plates (used for my foam LC's) with either Optimum or Meg's Microfiber pads?

How about polishes and glazes....is the popular lineup (Meg's, Menzerna, etc.) fine to use with the MF pads?

I have to order a couple and try them out for myself :) but like to know what teh GP thinks.
I wouldn't use that small of a backing plate with any pads over 4". I'm sure you won't damage anything, but you won't get the results your looking for.

As for products I've used M105, Megs Ultimate compound, and D301 on the Megs MF pads with great success. Haven't tried the opt cutting pads yet though.

Detail_Dude
11-21-2011, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't use that small of a backing plate with any pads over 4". I'm sure you won't damage anything, but you won't get the results your looking for.

Sorry man - forgot to mention I have both 5" and 3.5" backing plates. My question about using larger pads with a smaller BP was just an idea. I appreciate the advice not to do it. Tx vm.