PDA

View Full Version : Wax Reviews

Pages : [1] 2 3

BlackCoupe
05-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Anybody got a link to independent wax reviews? I am looking for something that might compare waxes from several standpoints, including their hardness--resistance to letting things through to cause swirls or resistance to chips from sand/pebbles on the highway.

ScottB
05-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Anybody got a link to independent wax reviews? I am looking for something that might compare waaxes from several standpoints, including their hardness--resistance to letting things through to cause swirls or resistance to chips from sand.

that would be very interesting. I have a copy of the Guru Report from several years back but somewhat flawed. Actually graded on ease to get (imagine that fitting into rating). It wasnt a bad read, but I would love something on waxes in a more consumer reports chart kinda way.

pogo123
05-06-2006, 03:29 PM
There are several inherent problems in reviewing wax since durability is really difficult to measure, and looks are so subjective. Maybe that's why they ended up measuring ease to get? :D

kellyinkc
08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Did you all see the Consumer Reports in the July issue? BlackMagic was rated #1
P21S was #20 :confused::confused:

FloridaNative
08-12-2006, 08:04 PM

You're kidding? Wow! I find that hard to believe. Although I think Consumer Reports would tend to give a higher rating to a product that is easier to find for most people. Still surprising though.

kellyinkc
08-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Yep. I'll take a pic of the article and post tomorrow.

Surfer
08-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Ok, I'm pry the only one on here with the Black Magic wax lol. Just happened to walk past it one day in teh store, think it was like 3.99 or something. Used it on my sisters truck and for the price was pretty decent, looked similar to NXT and durability seem so-so (just like NXT). I'll stick with my AutoGeek sealents and waxes though, no comparison;)

Any of the those reports like CR I don't hold any faith in. Just like the automags do, their compairson test are usually flawed. Like with the C6 Z06 comparison where it whupped on the F-car and P-car yet got 3rd place, it was a performance test, who gives a crap about the interior or firm ride LOL. I'm a Viper guy, I don't even want cup holders, give me a raw brutal performance machine lol.

dengood1
08-12-2006, 09:30 PM

BAH:eek: Black Magic=crap!

supercharged
08-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Black Magic is a real dust magnet!

emaxxman
08-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, I personally don't find Consumer Reports to be all that flawed. You may not agree with them but that does not mean they are flawed.

For example: which is the better car, a Honda Accord or a BMW M5? At first glance, most people would say the M5 is a vastly better car. Now factor in initial purchase cost, maintenance, reliability, cost of usage. Now which is the better car?

Now, is a $3 wax that is easily found, easily applied/removed, but lasts only 1 week better or worse than a $70 wax that is slightly less easy to purchase, easily applied/removed, and lasts several weeks?

I would challenge anyone to prove that the tests are flawed. I would however agree that the criteria for what makes a wax good or bad is completely subjective and may not agree with the enthusiasts such as us.

joe.p
08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Black Magic is a real dust magnet!
I find the same problem with using Carnaubas but the warmth of a quality wax wins me over evertime..

abrcrombe
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Well IMO what you are saying is that the Accord and the $3 wax isn't exactly better, but cheaper. For some, that is what is most important. It all depends on what you are looking for.

emaxxman
08-12-2006, 10:50 PM
For some, that is what is most important. It all depends on what you are looking for.

Nope, not at all. What I am saying is that performance isn't the only criteria for what makes something a highly rated product AND that critieria is simply not inline with what enthusiasts have in mind.

For some, that is what is most important. It all depends on what you are looking for.

For me, it's not so much high or low cost but does the cost of the product give me a reasonable return on investment...cars or wax. Would anyone buy an M5 if its price only gave you slightly better performance than an Accord? Motor Trend recently had a great review of the CTS-v vs. an Audi RS4. The RS4 fared better but was almost $24k more. The CTS-v was a great performer but not as great as the more expensive RS4. So which is the better product?

For the enthusiast, a 100% increase in price for an extra 10%-25% in performance is acceptable. Just look at all the users who gladly choose Souveran over Natty's. There's nothing wrong with that but it doesn't imply that mag reviews are flawed.

joe.p
08-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Well, I personally don't find Consumer Reports to be all that flawed. You may not agree with them but that does not mean they are flawed.

For example: which is the better car, a Honda Accord or a BMW M5? At first glance, most people would say the M5 is a vastly better car. Now factor in initial purchase cost, maintenance, reliability, cost of usage. Now which is the better car?

Now, is a $3 wax that is easily found, easily applied/removed, but lasts only 1 week better or worse than a $70 wax that is slightly less easy to purchase, easily applied/removed, and lasts several weeks?

I would challenge anyone to prove that the tests are flawed. I would however agree that the criteria for what makes a wax good or bad is completely subjective and may not agree with the enthusiasts such as us.I beleive they go with whats popular with the mainstream. I also heard this with many autoparts stores that carry Turtle Wax over other products. I seen a guy come into Sears almost broke his neck coming in to see if they stock TW Authenic Ice, sometimes i wonder what and if theres a big difference in boutique products we use. I think the vast majority dont care only people like us who have been educated by visiting forums who see the before/after pics of what the products are cappable of doing...

sparkie
08-12-2006, 11:52 PM
I beleive they go with whats popular with the mainstream. I also heard this with many autoparts stores that carry Turtle Wax over other products. I seen a guy come into Sears almost broke his neck coming in to see if they stock TW Authenic Ice, sometimes i wonder what and if theres a big difference in boutique products we use. I think the vast majority dont care only people like us who have been educated by visiting forums who see the before/after pics of what the products are cappable of doing...

Speaking of Turtle Wax, don't they make Zymol?