PDA

View Full Version : question about the foam gun

timaishu
11-21-2011, 12:58 AM
I have the autogeek foam gun. The one that hooks up to a hose.

I've used it a few times and Im starting to feel like its either an extra unnecessary step or I am doing an extra unnecessary step.

How do I properly use this thing?

Before. I would hose off the car with a garden sprayer to remove loose dirt. Then go one panel at a time with my sheepskin mit using the two bucket with grit guard method.

Now, I am starting with a the foam gun spray down with soap. I let it sit a minute, then swap out the gun with the garden sprayer. Spray off the soap. Clean one panel at a time with the sheep skin mit and two bucket with gritguard and then rinse that soap off again..

This is adding much more time to my detailing sessions and I dont feel like its the best way to go about it. I dont feel like its safe to spray the foam on the dry car to cleaning with the sheepskin mit without the rinse in between those steps.

Feed back please

slickooz
11-21-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't have a foam gun, but I have a cannon which does the same thing. It takes about extra 15-20 minutes to foam down the car twice. I would usually pressure wash most of the stuff off the car and then start foaming. After foaming I would pressure wash everything off and foam again. Then use two bucket method to wash. Its definitely time consuming but I been doing this so much that it feels normal.

umi000
11-21-2011, 03:15 AM
Use the foam gun as a complement to your soap solution bucket. Spray foam in the path of your wash mitt, so that you have a constant stream of fresh soap wherever your mitt touches the paint. This will help further minimize wash-induced marring.

BobbyG
11-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Use the foam gun as a complement to your soap solution bucket. Spray foam in the path of your wash mitt, so that you have a constant stream of fresh soap wherever your mitt touches the paint. This will help further minimize wash-induced marring.

This is exactly what it's meant to do......:props:

toycar18
11-21-2011, 09:12 AM
I only use it when my truck is really dirty.

I happen to agree with Umi000 and Bobby G

timaishu
11-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Ahhhhhhh.

So basically do what I was doing before (rinse with garden sprayer, wash with sheepskin pad + two bucket method) and using the sprayer as extra soap?

toycar18
11-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Yep...

Some people just use foam gun with a mitt instead of buckets.

timaishu
11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Interesting.

Thanks again guys!

HighLine
11-21-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree with umi000. There is actually a video somewhere on the forum thethe forum that states that. It help's prevent marring the paint and not only that it's much faster. Some people don't even use a bucket. You just do it the way you feel most comfortable.

timaishu
11-21-2011, 01:17 PM
I agree with umi000. There is actually a video somewhere on the forum thethe forum that states that. It help's prevent marring the paint and not only that it's much faster. Some people don't even use a bucket. You just do it the way you feel most comfortable.

You mean like only having a rinse bucket and rely on the foam gun for soap?

I like that idea.

Setec Astronomy
11-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Yes. I have been using the foam gun for years, and although I'm not convinced it's a revolution over the 2BM, I hose the car down with water first to remove any loose dirt and get the car wet (or as Slickooz suggests, you could pressure wash). Then foam it a section at a time (so you don't get soap drying on the car), and wash and rinse like you normally would (I use a rinse bucket with a grit guard).

So this way you lose your soap bucket, which is replaced by the foam gun. You might also want to invest in some quick-disconnects or a Y-splitter and two hoses to make it easier/quicker to go back and forth between your nozzle and the foam gun.

timaishu
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Yes. I have been using the foam gun for years, and although I'm not convinced it's a revolution over the 2BM, I hose the car down with water first to remove any loose dirt and get the car wet (or as Slickooz suggests, you could pressure wash). Then foam it a section at a time (so you don't get soap drying on the car), and wash and rinse like you normally would (I use a rinse bucket with a grit guard).

So this way you lose your soap bucket, which is replaced by the foam gun. You might also want to invest in some quick-disconnects or a Y-splitter and two hoses to make it easier/quicker to go back and forth between your nozzle and the foam gun.

PERFECT!

I will definitely try this. Im the MAN

HighLine
11-21-2011, 01:40 PM

I like that idea.
Yup. And try using Setec's idea about using the two hose or splitting. That would make things extremely faster.

DaHen
11-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks.
What a good idea. I'll havta try that the next time.