PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Detailer's Toolset

pmartnz
11-20-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm new to the exterior detailing world. I used to only wash my car, spray some tire shine, maybe wax and meticulously detail the inside (first of course) . I would periodically pay for a full detailing service.

I've made a decision to take care of my cars myself. I'm cordially inviting you to share and provide some guidance in investing in "The Perfect Detailer's Toolset".

The idea is to invest in the proper equipment & accessories from the beginning.

Thanks in advance!

mwoolfso
11-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Welcome. I think you will find that based on your personal preferences you perfect toolset will be somewhat unique from others. Of course with a lot of similarities. There are great products depending on you budget and mix preferences for durability, shine, and level of effort required. If you add to your request some of these preferences it may help. There are hundreds of products out there just on AG alone.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

phantom
11-20-2011, 12:24 PM
I am just like PMARTNZ. I took better care of my cars than most folks. I had interest in buffing and when I saw a "detailer" teaching a new employee on a customer's car I said to myself if that guy is going to to this for the first time on a customer's car than I can do it. I bought a Cyclo and a Griot's 3" one year ago. XMT 360 has worked very well for me this year on two of our vehicles.

tw33k2514
11-20-2011, 01:05 PM
If we are talking tools, then you should not be without these....

2x 5 gallon bucket
2x grit guard
Quality wash mitt
Good hose
Pressure washer or at least a good spray head.
Dozen or so quality microfibers ( rolled edge)
Couple drying towels
Wheel brushes
Hand applicators
Dual action polisher
Large selection of pads
Air compressor

Those are the things I use on an exterior detail. I'm sure I forgot some too.

Ron Atchison
11-20-2011, 01:17 PM
doh I can see where a hose could be important. Forgot that on my original post.

Shane731
11-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Get Mike Phillip's book "The Art of Detailing" and read it beginning to end, then evaluate your goals and determine what you want to accomplish and how much money and effort you are willing to expend.

Mike Phillips' The Art of Detailing Paperback Book (http://www.autogeek.net/art-of-detailing-paperback-book.html)

Ron Atchison
11-20-2011, 01:33 PM
The OP has two threads going this is what I posted to the other one.
Lost the links on the copy and paste.:buffing:

Well if we are going to build the perfect tool set then I will start off with getting it clean and build from there. This should be fun spending someone elses money! Open ended questions about what I should buy on here is never a good thing lol.
2 5 gal buckets
2 grit guards
The Grit Guard, grit guard insert, bucket grate, car wash bucket grid,
Quality wash mit/sponge
Sheepskin Wash Mitt
Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge, big blue wash sponge, lake country sponge, lake country grout sponge, car wash, shampoo
Quality car wash soap. Meguiars is good for OTC.
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner 64 oz. - A moisturizing car wash & conditioning soap to lubricate and clean your vehicle.
Wheel cleaner (too many choices here)
Best wheel cleaner?
APC
Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus
Wheel brush
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush,
Tire brush
Mothers Contoured Tire Brush mimics the shape of your car's tires to clean the rubber effectively. Use Mothers Tire & Rubber Cleaner with the
Tire & Wheel Brushes
WW MF towel
The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best
WW MF glass towel
The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber.
Glass cleaner(stoners)
Stoner Invisible Glass Pump Spray: Non-aerosol formula cleans automotive glass to crystal clarity! clean glass, windshield cleaner, window cleaner,
Assortment of multipurpose MF towels
Blue All Purpose Microfiber Towels 6 Pack: Bulk pricing on all purpose microfiber detailing towel.

Well thats a start. This list should grow pretty fast.

Jaddie
11-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Dear Friends

What's the air compressor for? Drying?

tw33k2514
11-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Dear Friends

What's the air compressor for? Drying?

Cleaning pads on the fly, and blowing water out of crevices.

pmartnz
11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
The OP has two threads going this is what I posted to the other one.
Lost the links on the copy and paste.:buffing:

Well if we are going to build the perfect tool set then I will start off with getting it clean and build from there. This should be fun spending someone elses money! Open ended questions about what I should buy on here is never a good thing lol.
2 5 gal buckets
2 grit guards
The Grit Guard, grit guard insert, bucket grate, car wash bucket grid,
Quality wash mit/sponge
Sheepskin Wash Mitt
Lake Country Foam Car Wash Sponge, big blue wash sponge, lake country sponge, lake country grout sponge, car wash, shampoo
Quality car wash soap. Meguiars is good for OTC.
Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner 64 oz. - A moisturizing car wash & conditioning soap to lubricate and clean your vehicle.
Wheel cleaner (too many choices here)
Best wheel cleaner?
APC
Meguiars D103 All Purpose Cleaner Plus
Wheel brush
Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, auto detail brush, Wheel Brush, Tire Brush, Detailing Brush, Corvette brush, Mercedes brush, sport wheel brush,
Tire brush
Mothers Contoured Tire Brush mimics the shape of your car's tires to clean the rubber effectively. Use Mothers Tire & Rubber Cleaner with the
Tire & Wheel Brushes
WW MF towel
The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best
WW MF glass towel
The Cobra Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towel cleans & buffs glass to crystal clarity with the soft texture of genuine Cobra microfiber.
Glass cleaner(stoners)
Stoner Invisible Glass Pump Spray: Non-aerosol formula cleans automotive glass to crystal clarity! clean glass, windshield cleaner, window cleaner,
Assortment of multipurpose MF towels
Blue All Purpose Microfiber Towels 6 Pack: Bulk pricing on all purpose microfiber detailing towel.

Well thats a start. This list should grow pretty fast.

My bad, I thought I may have posted in the wrong forum, I wasnt sure...

Jaddie
11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Dear Ben

Thanks for answering my question.

CEE DOG
11-20-2011, 09:04 PM
The entire Ultima Line (except the detail spray)
Car Pro: wash mitt, Iron X, Tar X, CQuartz, Reload, and Eraser
Optimum: Power clean, car wash, ONR, poliseal, and Opticoat
Menzerna 85RD and WG TSR
And the typical tools people are going to point you towards.
Ok, I gave you enough stuff for 3 people but there's some great products to choose from there.