PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage 3 or Porter Cable 7424 with 3.5" backing plate?

pmartnz
11-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I've been carefully considering the tools I would like in my arsenal for detailing those smaller areas. Which would provide more support in this area?

Griot's Garage 3 or Porter Cable 7424 with 3.5" backing plate?

Using the same pad and polishing material on the same panel. Would I benefit using one setup over the other? Why?

Ease of use
Power
Flexibility
Control
Durability

Much thanks in advance!!!

Paul

mjlinane
11-19-2011, 08:56 PM
PC is more powerful and flexible. More of a general purpose polisher.

VISITOR
11-19-2011, 09:16 PM
GG6 with a 3.5" & 5" DA backing plate...

pmartnz
11-19-2011, 09:30 PM
I've been carefully considering the tools I would like in my arsenal for detailing those smaller areas. Which would provide more support in this area?

Griot's Garage 3 or Porter Cable 7424 with 3.5" backing plate?

Using the same pad and polishing material on the same panel. Would I benefit using one setup over the other? Why?

Ease of use
Power
Flexibility
Control
Durability

Much thanks in advance!!!

Paul

-----------

I think i can better phrase my question... If money was no object. ;)

If you had the option to own a porter cable 7424 would it be foolish to invest in a Griot's Garage 3" when the 3.5" backplate is available?

Is there a case where the GG3 would out perform the PC w/3.5" plate?

Thanks Again...

mjlinane
11-19-2011, 09:35 PM
You can always get a 2.75" (rotary) BP and use a DA adapter on a full size DA unit. At that point, there is no particular advantage to the GG3.

Money no object, I'd have both - along with many other things ;)

armorrig
11-19-2011, 09:44 PM
You can always get a 2.75" (rotary) BP and use a DA adapter on a full size DA unit. At that point, there is no particular advantage to the GG3.

Money no object, I'd have both - along with many other things ;)

I'm also thinking about this option since I already have a 2.75 rotary BP as well as the DA adapter and I have a question.

Would it be ok to use this together with the rotary extension just to have more space between the DA and the pad for better visibility of the working area, instead of having the full size of the DA on top of the diameter of the pad? No extra stress on the 5/16 threads of the DA having the longer extension?

toycar18
11-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Griots Garage has quite a bit of power for its size. It is convenient to have a dedicated small buffer.

You can use both 3" pads and 4" pads with it.

With a 3.5" backing plate you will probably want to use 4" pads. I often find the 3" pads more convenient but all cars and situations are different.

It is only 1-2 tanks of gas

mjlinane
11-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Yes. Mike had a post on something like this earlier this week.

armorrig
11-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Yes. Mike had a post on something like this earlier this week.

not sure which post and I wouldn't know what term to search for. If you have the link handy, would you please post it?

Thank you.

edit: found the post.

It was mainly for a rotary using the extension. But found some info from Shiny Lil Detlr about it being less than ideal on the 6" DA.

toycar18
11-19-2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/42947-trend-small-buffing-pads.html

Here is a quote from THE MASTER Mike Phillips:

Let me experiment with the Griot's 3" pad on a Griot's 6" polisher.

It's going to be very tippy, so be aware of that, I'm not sure what the performance will be like since the pad will be oscillating, not simply rotating like a rotary buffer would do.

The Porter Cable is also going to be similar to the Griots 6" so it may be tippy as well.

pmartnz
11-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Griots Garage has quite a bit of power for its size. It is convenient to have a dedicated small buffer.

You can use both 3" pads and 4" pads with it.

With a 3.5" backing plate you will probably want to use 4" pads. I often find the 3" pads more convenient but all cars and situations are different.

It is only 1-2 tanks of gas

That being the case, could the GG3 be the best option for 3 &/or 4 inch pads?

toycar18
11-19-2011, 10:53 PM
I think so IMO.

But there are plenty of experts on this forum that might have good advice as well.

I don't think there are any smaller DA buffers like the CG3.

mjlinane
11-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Could you do it? Maybe. PC (or GG6 or Megs) would do it better.

toycar18
11-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Check this out

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/22065-griot-s-garage-3-mini-polisher-extreme-demo-warning.html

pmartnz
11-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you all for your input, It has been very informative.

;)