PDA

View Full Version : What polish to buy...

BanditSRT
02-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Hey guys. This is my first post so I figured I'd make it a good one. I'm STOKED about detail fest this saturday and I want to buy some new polish. I've currently been using PB SSR1 and 2.5 on my 99 Corvette and it did an okay job. I just dusts too much for my liking. I've heard a lot of good about Menzerna polishes but I want to buy from Autogeek.

As most know, the clearcoat on Vettes is a pain to work with when using a PC (which I have). I'm leaning towards Optimum compound and Polish but was looking to hear from you guys. How does the DP or Pinnacle swirl stuff compare? Thanks!

BanditSRT

Whitethunder46
02-19-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm very happy with my OC. I have the complete XMT line, but wanted something slightly stronger than XMT #3, and OC filled that perfectly.

sparkie
02-19-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm very happy with my OC. I have the complete XMT line, but wanted something slightly stronger than XMT #3, and OC filled that perfectly.
You said it!:iagree: Whitethunder46 is correct!
BanditSRT, welcome to AG.

ScottB
02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Optimum or XMT would be the next choice ...

Nuke33
02-19-2007, 04:35 PM
I like Optimum

BanditSRT
02-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming! Would OC be good enough or would I need to step up to OHC because of how hard the clear is? My paint is is pretty good shape with only minimal swirls since I last polished it in August.

quantim0
02-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I started with XMT line and switched to Optimum. Optimum is much cheaper to use and there are only 2 polishes. I find it easier to pick between 2 polishes and 3 pad colors, then 3 polishes and 3 pad colors. I haven't found something that OC and OP cannot tackle.

See you Saturday!

Surfer
02-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Some people have used OHC witha PC but its designed more for Rotary use and is very abbrassive so it will leave marring to be cleared up. OC/OP are targeted more for the rotary as well I believe but work great on the PC. If OC and cutting pad don't remove what you want, time for rotary:D.

I like Optimum, long work times, no dusting, and OC most of the time will finish down LSP ready unlike other abbrassive polishes/compounds. And I have the old versions, the new stuff is even more agressive but has the same qualities as before.

BILL
02-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Some people have used OHC witha PC but its designed more for Rotary use and is very abbrassive so it will leave marring to be cleared up. OC/OP are targeted more for the rotary as well I believe but work great on the PC. If OC and cutting pad don't remove what you want, time for rotary:D.

I like Optimum, long work times, no dusting, and OC most of the time will finish down LSP ready unlike other abbrassive polishes/compounds. And I have the old versions, the new stuff is even more agressive but has the same qualities as before.

QUESTION... what about PINN ADVANCED SWIRL REMOVER with a rotary and orange pad for mild swirls and marring??

Surfer
02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
QUESTION... what about PINN ADVANCED SWIRL REMOVER with a rotary and orange pad for mild swirls and marring??Never used it, ask Scott or Justin, they might have with the rotary.

supercharged
02-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Xmt.

BILL
02-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Never used it, ask Scott or Justin, they might have with the rotary.

SCOTT!!!!!, JUSTIN!!!!!, ;)

justin_murphy
02-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Never used it, ask Scott or Justin, they might have with the rotary.

I've used the old formula with a rotary and liked it. Used it with the PC too. Did really well. I just received the NEW formula which is supposed to have more and better abrasives in it. I will be doing my truck with Advance Swirl Remover and Final Finishing Polish this week. Can't wait!

Highly recommend the Twins.

BILL
02-20-2007, 08:05 AM
I've used the old formula with a rotary and liked it. Used it with the PC too. Did really well. I just received the NEW formula which is supposed to have more and better abrasives in it. I will be doing my truck with Advance Swirl Remover and Final Finishing Polish this week. Can't wait!

Highly recommend the Twins.

Thanks .......never knew they have a new formula......

This polish is really good
Optimum Polish is a swirl remover, finishing polish & paint cleaner in one for the optimum shine! swirl remover polish, fine grade polish, final (http://www.autogeek.net/opt400.html)