PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Infiniti G35 help with Bugs and Bumper Hell

Louie_Blu
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Actually this is more like 2 Questions, but first off this Infinity has chips on the hood and it looks like they never washed the bugs of the bumper.

Today at the car lot the regular detail guy washed the car then I clayed it, I have the right color from Dr. Colorchip BTW, so I proceeded to use Megs Ultimate Compound on the bumper to see if that would help and it did a little and then I wiped off that section I was working on with Isopropyl Alcohol and tried to put some Dr. Colorchip in and over the etchings and other areas that looked deep, although even after Compounding the surface still felt rough, I went ahead and used the sealact and it looked better but not like I wanted too also alot of the paint that I put on was coming off I did wait about 15 min before using the Sealact.

I had an Idea so I went to another section of the bumper and since I do Headlights I had a 3000 Trizact Disc, I sprayed the area with water and took at it with my Griot's 3 inch Polisher
and the Trizact, after a few passes on that section it looked better but dull so I hit it with an Orange pad and the Megs Ultimate Compound, this actually looked better then the Dr.Colorchip and felt smoother.
what I would like to know is if any of you Pro's out there can tell me what else can I do to make this Bumper better the Owner is really hoping I can do wonders lol,

My Other Question is: the Dr.Colorchip wasn't adhering to the chips on the hood that well The car was washed but not by me , but I did Clay the Hood and when the hood was completely Dry I began with the DR.C and I waited about 15 min then used the Sealact to blend it in but it looks like it was just taking the paint I put in right back off, Dont know where I went wrong, I did Notice that while putting on the Sealact it took a long time to blend or remove the excess paint I went in a circular motion Lightly and it took a long time just to get the excess off or blend, Some Chips where white and some other chips where dark like a dark brown, Please help lol Feed back please

Flash Gordon
11-18-2011, 07:35 PM
I would like to know is if any of you Pro's out there can tell me what else can I do to make this Bumper better the Owner is really hoping I can do wonders lol,

Nothing but a full bumper respray is going to help you. There is probally a bumper repair person in your town. If not, maybe you should look into that

Good to see you back posting Louie_Blu. I always look forward to see what you've been up to

Louie_Blu
11-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Nothing but a full bumper respray is going to help you. There is probally a bumper repair person in your town. If not, maybe you should look into that

Good to see you back posting Louie_Blu. I always look forward to see what you've been up to
I appreciate that Flash, I have been so busy with this One Dealership Just doing headlights just now in the last week I picked up 2 Detail Jobs and just bought a Porter Cable 7424 excited yes because its good money but a lot of work, I kinda feel I should slow down but its kinda like job security for me lol,

as far as that bumper is concerned I think tomorrow I will keep doing the Trizact thing with the compound it really seemed to make it look and feel better, what gets me was the lil chips on the hood why didnt they adhere when I was using the Sealact are Infinity's that much trouble? lol sheesh

Jons6.7
11-18-2011, 08:31 PM
What I have found with the DR Color stuff is that you really have to put on thin coats so its easy to remove the overages then do another layer. If I try to fill in the chip in one pass I get that same thing like I end up removing it all trying to get it cleaned up. Or it could be I just suck at it. Worth a shot anyway.

Louie_Blu
11-18-2011, 08:55 PM
What I have found with the DR Color stuff is that you really have to put on thin coats so its easy to remove the overages then do another layer. If I try to fill in the chip in one pass I get that same thing like I end up removing it all trying to get it cleaned up. Or it could be I just suck at it. Worth a shot anyway.

I will try that tomorrow worth a shot thanks Jons :props:

Minja
11-25-2011, 12:35 AM
So how'd it go? I just got some dr color in too. Haven tried it put yet.

Louie_Blu
11-26-2011, 08:25 PM
So how'd it go? I just got some dr color in too. Haven tried it put yet.
well the bumper looks a lot better major improvement and yes it really does require redoing after that paint dries, some chips just take one but on that bumper it took a lot more as far as the hood is concerned I wiped down the hood with IPA and the paint did adhere much much better thanks to the advice from Garry Dean, and thanks to you all on this thread for all your help:dblthumb2: