PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned

JBL
11-18-2011, 02:59 PM
So I'm getting the hang of detailing my car the proper way after years of tunnel washes and dirty towels.

As I get better though, I do notice that I miss things here and there. It's just a function of learning I guess, but what are things you've picked up over the years detailing cars?

For example: While I'm getting better with my technique using polishes and waxes, I still find things the next day like dried wax/polish around emblems and on the edges of things like doors and my hood.

Another one that I've actually overcome was the overuse of shiney tire dressing. While I'm more of a matte-finish guy now, I used to think that the glossy tire was the way to go...until I had to move my car. Then, I'd have sling all over the place. It took some trial and error with products and application, but I like where I'm at now.

What are some of the things that you more-seasoned guys do as a regular practice that some beginners may miss?

andrew b
11-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Wedge-shaped makeup sponges for the application of various dressings (usually for rubber seals, etc).

Cheap, easily found, make applying to smaller locations much easier..

tw33k2514
11-18-2011, 03:46 PM
I learned long ago that you always tape up the car. Take that to your grave.

OCDetails
11-18-2011, 04:16 PM
I learned that it really is best to start with the inside. You only have to shake your mats out and get dust all over your freshly waxed car once to learn that one.

opie_7afe
11-18-2011, 05:24 PM
tips i can offer are, when waxing pay close attention to around seams(emblems,trim,ect ect), when waxing dont over use product that can make it cake up in emblems even more( i start out with a X pattern on applicator then i dab the applicator on the panel and wax, then future panels i will use a small 1" line or 4 small dots on the pad and dab finish. for great cheap tire dressing applicators/trim dressing applicators i use the 1.50 "bone" sponges from walmart cut in thirds(outer portions i use for tires inner square i cut up for trim), i also have some foam paint brushes i use for small areas to apply dressing/protectant.a soft brush helps remove wax residue what i do is use a quick detail spray to soften up the crusted on wax and use the brush to remove it or a q-tip.

mclovin
11-18-2011, 06:32 PM
Tape the car. Remove emblems if possible. Try using an eraser and something small like a paint brush or even a q-tip to remove wax around the emblem and places that are difficult to get to.

Flash Gordon
11-18-2011, 07:51 PM
HD garden hoses blow. Go with the $20 Wal-Mart mid-grade special instead