PDA

View Full Version : 3M coating like c-quart or opti-coat. Does it exists ?

Pages : [1] 2

DaC
11-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Guys a friend of mine is buying a new car here in Brazil and the guys at the dealer are offering a process saying it's a coating and that it uses 3M products....
As I understand 3M doesn't carry anything like that.... or does it ?
What would be the most advanced in paint protection (besides plastic film), that 3M carries ?
Perfect-it Paste wax ?

szjalo
11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I guess it's 3M's clear bra

DaC
11-18-2011, 01:15 PM
I guess it's 3M's clear bra

But it's not a plastic film..... so it can't be clear bra.... ;)

BMW
11-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I have seen a number of dealerships that supposedly apply a 3M paint protection that is warranted for 5 years...(not a film)

Marketed under 3M's Scotchguard brand...here is the marketing copy:

Scotchgard™ Paint Protector

Safeguards your car’s exterior finish

Creates a chemical bond that helps protect paint surfaces from bugs‚ tree sap‚ bird droppings‚ etc.
Helps protect the paint’s finish from premature fading and weathering and can help you get top dollar for your trade-in.

DaC
11-18-2011, 01:43 PM
I have seen a number of dealerships that supposedly apply a 3M paint protection that is warranted for 5 years...(not a film)

Marketed under 3M's Scotchguard brand...here is the marketing copy:

Scotchgard™ Paint Protector

Safeguards your car’s exterior finish

Creates a chemical bond that helps protect paint surfaces from bugs‚ tree sap‚ bird droppings‚ etc.
Helps protect the paint’s finish from premature fading and weathering and can help you get top dollar for your trade-in.

I tried to search for it but I only could find the scotchguard film protection...

opie_7afe
11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
i have seen the scotchguard paint protectant once before, do i remember where i seen it, no i websurf way too much!, my feeling is its either a light nano coating, or its just a over exaggerated paint sealant that dealers can charge an extra 500-1000$ for and need to get it topped up every so often, but that is just my guess.i honestly would tell him "save the money you would spend on the 3m product being applied, and i will polish it and put opti-coat on it for a lesser fee" thats what i would do as opti-coat atleast has some solid reviews/durability testing done to it.

BMW
11-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I tried to search for it but I only could find the scotchguard film protection...

Do a google search, but double quote the term "Scotchgard Paint Protector"

"Scotchgard Paint Protector" - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1920&bih=1017&q=%22Scotchgard+Paint+Protector%22&gbv=2&oq=%22Scotchgard+Paint+Protector%22)

If you don't quote it...google will assume a synonym for 'protector' and replaces it with 'protection'

Google thinks it is smarter than the user...which I find incredibly annoying...

DaC
11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
i have seen the scotchguard paint protectant once before, do i remember where i seen it, no i websurf way too much!, my feeling is its either a light nano coating, or its just a over exaggerated paint sealant that dealers can charge an extra 500-1000$ for and need to get it topped up every so often, but that is just my guess.i honestly would tell him "save the money you would spend on the 3m product being applied, and i will polish it and put opti-coat on it for a lesser fee" thats what i would do as opti-coat atleast has some solid reviews/durability testing done to it.

Wow... it seems to be so obscure... i mean... it if isn't vastly know neither put on their website I tend to think it's just dealer BS over something not as good as they claim to be....

I told my friend not to spend money with it, that I would wax his car with collinite #885 or Klasse for free.... =]

He asked the dealer the product name from 3M that he uses for protection and he didn't disclosed it..... just told "well.. it's special line from 3M products for paint protection.... but I won't tell you the name..."

Kaban
11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Why don't they disclose the information?

PAR Detailing
11-18-2011, 02:35 PM
It's the Scotchgard paint protection product. I have actually used this stuff and have a bottle in my garage right now. I am still wanting to try it on a long-term test subject vehicle like others have done with OPTi coat and cquartz. The product is not foolproof. A local dealership had me polish out a guys car because bird poop etched the paint and he had had the Scotchgard applied. The car was eight months old and it was still shedding water when I washed it but the bird poop still etched the paint. It was a black car. They had me polish it because the body shop was going to charge $2700 to repair it. I was able to fix the problem a whole lot cheaper than that

DaC
11-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Why don't they disclose the information?

I wish I knew.... but they really don't gave any reason for that...

It's the Scotchgard paint protection product. I have actually used this stuff and have a bottle in my garage right now. I am still wanting to try it on a long-term test subject vehicle like others have done with OPTi coat and cquartz. The product is not foolproof. A local dealership had me polish out a guys car because bird poop etched the paint and he had had the Scotchgard applied. The car was eight months old and it was still shedding water when I washed it but the bird poop still etched the paint. It was a black car. They had me polish it because the body shop was going to charge $2700 to repair it. I was able to fix the problem a whole lot cheaper than that

Could please link me to this product page ?!? :dblthumb2: :dblthumb2:

Or maybe take some pictures from the bottle ? =]]]]

opie_7afe
11-18-2011, 03:14 PM
if a dealer wont disclose it then they are hiding something, or not even using 3m product. i would straight up tell the dealer" do not wash my car, you wash my car and i will not buy it and take my business elsewhere, because i do not feel like paying a competent detailer to fix your crappy work"

DaC
11-18-2011, 03:32 PM
if a dealer wont disclose it then they are hiding something, or not even using 3m product. i would straight up tell the dealer" do not wash my car, you wash my car and i will not buy it and take my business elsewhere, because i do not feel like paying a competent detailer to fix your crappy work"

LoL Matt.... yeah... I agree.... thankfully I already took my friend out from this idea...
The risk of a generic unknown dealer person touching his brand new car to polish it and probably messing,unnecessarily, with it was enough... :dblthumb2:

But I'm still curious on this scotchgard product..... it's a film ? it's a paint sealant ? it's a coating ?

BMW
11-18-2011, 03:42 PM
LoL Matt.... yeah... I agree.... thankfully I already took my friend out from this idea...
The risk of a generic unknown dealer person touching his brand new car to polish it and probably messing,unnecessarily, with it was enough... :dblthumb2:

But I'm still curious on this scotchgard product..... it's a film ? it's a paint sealant ? it's a coating ?

The pitch I have heard about it...is that it is a coating not unlike CQuartz maybe even thicker and closer to Opti-Seal. But, my hesitation would always be the poor treatment that some dealer detailers give (Dealer Installed Swirls) and factory orange peel that would be sealed in by the coating.

DaC
11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
The pitch I have heard about it...is that it is a coating not unlike CQuartz maybe even thicker and closer to Opti-Seal. But, my hesitation would always be the poor treatment that some dealer detailers give (Dealer Installed Swirls) and factory orange peel that would be sealed in by the coating.

well... here in Brazil the dealer is offering this something (which I don't know what it is because they won't tell), for around $280.00 included leather seat nourishment + polishing...... but only 1 year warranty
If this stuff, whatever it's.... is as good or better than opti-seal then I would say they wouldn't be charging only $280.00 with all the extras and giving only a 1-year warranty...

My shot is that they'll at max clay the car (if at all) and wax with 3M Perfect-it Show Car Paste wax.....