PDA

View Full Version : Griot's Garage 6" ROP - OPM to speed settings

DaC
11-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi Guys I've searched the web and found a couple of answers on that matter, so I decided to e-mail Griot's asking about their current 6" ROP and here's the answer from their costumer service:

Thank you for contacting Griot's Garage with your product question. Speed setting for our 6" Random Orbital (http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/griots+garage+random+orbital.do?sortby=ourPicks) are:
1: 2,500 OPM
2: 3,360 OPM
3: 4,220 OPM
4: 5,080 OPM
5: 5,940 OPM
6: 6,800 OPM
These speed settings are approximate and will vary depending on the amount of pressure that is applied to the machine.
It's not that anyone has never posted it, but it's always good to hear from the company itself... :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
11-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Nice detective work...

And just to note..

For removing swirls the 5-6 setting
For polishing after the major correction step 4-5
For machine applying a wax 3-4

If using a one-step cleaner/wax then back to the same speed setting you would use if you're removing swirls.

The above are ranges, pad size/thickness and technique play a huge factor on the exact setting you use so experiment a little...

:)

DaC
11-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Nice detective work...

And just to note..

For removing swirls the 5-6 setting
For polishing after the major correction step 4-5
For machine applying a wax 3-4

If using a one-step cleaner/wax then back to the same speed setting you would use if you're removing swirls.

The above are ranges, pad size/thickness and technique play a huge factor on the exact setting you use so experiment a little...

:)

Thanks mike! It's always nice to have additional good information together...

And to complete, as Meg's MF system is a little different on speed settings, here it's:

4800 OPM to use the Cutting Pad + D300
3800 OPM to use the Polishing pad + D301

This would get us to Speed 4 to Cut and speed 2.5-3 to Polish/Wax with the Meg's MF system on the Griot's Garage 6" ROP. :dblthumb2:

armorrig
11-20-2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks mike! It's always nice to have additional good information together...

And to complete, as Meg's MF system is a little different on speed settings, here it's:

4800 OPM to use the Cutting Pad + D300
3800 OPM to use the Polishing pad + D301

This would get us to Speed 4 to Cut and speed 2.5-3 to Polish/Wax with the Meg's MF system on the Griot's Garage 6" ROP. :dblthumb2:

just the info I've needed clarified. Thanks. However, I wonder if speed 3.5 would be around or closer to 4800?

DaC
11-20-2011, 05:19 AM
just the info I've needed clarified. Thanks. However, I wonder if speed 3.5 would be around or closer to 4800?

well, it will be around 4650 OPM assuming the speed variation is kind of linear. But you always have to consider that when applying pressure to the machine this speed will tend to drop... So in my opinion it would be better to go to speed 4 because under pressure it will drop closer to 4800 opm while at 3.5 it could go just too far off and the circular pad rotation motion could also be compromised....

AdamsImport
03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the Info guys, I have been using the MF system with speed 6. Woops...