PDA

View Full Version : tips for removing spider web marks from car cover

robert1955
11-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Michael :
thanks again for answering my previous question on priming a DA pad.
Know that I have that information also in your book. I have a black single Stage Mercedes-Benz with orginal paint. The paint is glossy but in the sun it shows on the hood and top sides of the front fenders spider webs. Do you think a White pad is the answer with a swirl remover? Should I use two pads. which manufacture makes the best pads for a DA. I know this is not an easy question You show many pads in you book and I want to make sure I use the finish quality I can buy. Should a finish pad be use with a final polish. How do I know what a final polish is or is it a Glaze?

I come from a time in 1970 when I purchased my first Sioux rotary polisher . I still have two of the 1200's restored when kimberly brothers was around doing the repairs. I have a new Nokia I like it but have not used It and a retired De Walt variable speed . I do not care to use them any more but figure when I am gone their may be a use buy someone or they may become collectable like the old Black & Decker's of the 1950s.

It was not until I joined the ICA international Car wash Association in the late 1970s and attended my first detail seminars that I learned about chemicals , but they never showed us any technique about how to use our Rotary machines. later in the 1990 when I was a member of the Southern California Auto Detailers Association did we have meeting in OC and get into specifics. But again not technique for our machines.

Thank you so much for writing this book. this is my second reading so I am trying to go slower to catch the points I missed and high lite them. Hope you do not mine my questions. I also hope you come out with some new DVDs to replace your old videos . I was going to buy them but I do not own a VHS machine . For mee watching someone do something highlighted waht they write. So I look forward to some DVD's
soon.
Bob Geco

Bob Geco

Mike Phillips
11-17-2011, 12:05 PM
I have a black single Stage Mercedes-Benz with original paint. T

he paint is glossy but in the sun it shows on the hood and top sides of the front fenders spider webs. Do you think a White pad is the answer with a swirl remover?

Black single stage paint tends to be the softest paint there is due to the pigment making the resin softer versus harder. This means it's real easy to polish out...

In most case a polishing pad is more than enough with a medium cut polish to obliterate the swirls. Then re-polish using a finishing pad and a fine cut polish.

What do you have for,

Tool
Pads
Polishes
Waxes

:)

Mike Phillips
11-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I also hope you come out with some new DVDs to replace your old videos .

I was going to buy them but I do not own a VHS machine .

Check this out...

Mike Phillips' Principles of Machine Polishing
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/824/AGSCGDVD001.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/24852-autogeek-show-car-garage-video.html)

:)