PDA

View Full Version : Working Time and Finish Down Terminology

Detail_Dude
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Around and about (forgot exactly where), I recall reading a post indicating the Lake Country Hydro Tech pads - particularly used with a compound like Meg's 105 or Menzerna Power Finish - allow much longer working time and finish down very well with little or no haze left over.

While I am picking up a lot of the lingo, perhaps someone can let me know if i've got this right.

Does "allow much longer working time" mean the pad will last a lot longer without getting so gunked up or saturated that it will have to be replaced with a fresh one or cleaned (during a detail)?

Also, does "finish down very well with little or no haze left over" imply that after applying and removing (via wiping with MF) the condition will be so good that another 'finer' or 'jeweling' polish may not be necessary?

Learning every day gang :)

Thanks -

shoeless89
11-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Working time refers to how long you can work the polish without it drying out. So that means you can work the polish in one section for longer without having to re-moisten the pad/polish or add more polish.

Sometimes when using a product like Meguiar's M105 and even M205 of softer paints, you'll be left very light swirls or mico-marring. It will look like the paint just isn't as clear as it should be. So when they say finish down they do mean it will probably be LSP ready (not including polishing oil removal). If your finishing polish doesn't finish down as well as you would like you could try it with a less aggressive pad or use a lighter polish like a jeweling polish to finish up.

Hope that helps! :)

Detail_Dude
11-17-2011, 10:48 AM
That does help! Tx vm, Shawn. Appreciate the detailed reply.