PDA

View Full Version : Unable to see metallic flake

The Critic
11-17-2011, 03:36 AM
My Prius is the Winter Gray Metallic color. It currently has a coat of DP Poli-Coat that was topped with Collinite 915.

The clear coat is very shiny, but I cannot see any of the metallic sparkles at all. I know they exist because a few months ago I polished my hood with M105/M205 in preparation for a clear bra install, and the flake was very apparent after polishing with M205.

What could be the problem? Should I polish the paint? Or is it due to the LSP I am using?

Thanks.

PPLd
11-17-2011, 04:44 AM
polishing and oils make ur flakes pop
aged, oxidized surface mute ur flakes, as well as some LSPs.
i m not sure if 915 hide flakes but u may want to clay and polish ur car, put a good coat of oil then seal it.

Mike Phillips
11-17-2011, 07:35 AM
I know they exist because a few months ago I polished my hood with M105/M205 in preparation for a clear bra install, and the flake was very apparent after polishing with M205.

Here's how to troubleshoot...

If you're certain you saw the metallic flake after polishing with M205 but no longer see it after application of waxes/sealants, simply place a tape line down on the hood or trunk lid and then only polish one side using the M205. The M205 will remove whatever's left on the paint and get you down to where you saw the flake.

Now remove the tape line and look at both sides to see if there's a difference.

:)

The Critic
11-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Here's how to troubleshoot...

If you're certain you saw the metallic flake after polishing with M205 but no longer see it after application of waxes/sealants, simply place a tape line down on the hood or trunk lid and then only polish one side using the M205. The M205 will remove whatever's left on the paint and get you down to where you saw the flake.

Now remove the tape line and look at both sides to see if there's a difference.

:)

Thanks, I will try that.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

BuckeyeR/T
11-21-2011, 07:34 AM
I can tell you from my experience with #915 that flakes pop.