PDA

View Full Version : anyone else have this problem?

Pages : [1] 2

Dugdug
11-16-2011, 11:57 PM
So I had to bring my liquid products inside. I usually keep everything in the back of my truck but I noticed one of my products froze and started separating :/ I haven't taken a look at what else may have been damaged yet. I hate having to unload all my stuff, that's the point of being mobile!!! lol

My girlfriends dad has a mobile resturant/office/home cleaning company. He has a lot of liquids and equipment in the back of his vans. At the end of the day, he leaves a simple space heater in the back of the van..... seems like a good idea.

Anyone else do this?

LSUFAN
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
it crossed my mind to put one in the trailer once or twice. But then again it gets a lot colder in KS than it dose here in LA. haha. i was always worried about the possibility of a fire from a faulty heater and thousands of dollars gone. i Just keep the 100 gallon tank full of water during the night and it seems to help keep the trailer just a bit warmer than the outside and haven't had anything freeze. not too sure if this helps but im sure someone has more input

Dugdug
11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
lol I'm from CA originally and I've been in KS for almost 2 years now but I didn't think of this till today lol

LSUFAN
11-17-2011, 12:34 AM
lol dont feel bad i never thought about it till the line from my tank to the pressure washer froze and i had to replace the pump. opps. was kinda cool pulling out a 3 foot round piece of ice out the line lol

tw33k2514
11-17-2011, 12:38 AM
It sucks but all my stuff gets takin in after use this time of year.

ryanmcg1
11-17-2011, 12:41 AM
lol I'm from CA originally and I've been in KS for almost 2 years now but I didn't think of this till today lol

Haha, LA is Louisiana. Sorry wasn't being rude just had a little laugh since I'm from LA too. LOL

Dugdug
11-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Haha, LA is Louisiana. Sorry wasn't being rude just had a little laugh since I'm from LA too. LOL

lol

BobbyG
11-17-2011, 07:19 AM
It sucks but all my stuff gets takin in after use this time of year.

Same here Ben.......The trip is longer now but my products total quite an investment and I'm not about to lose any of them due to laziness..........:props:

Flash Gordon
11-17-2011, 07:22 AM
lol...this is terrible...lol

BorisC
11-17-2011, 08:27 AM
I have alot of paints & polishes in a 50gal plastic tool box. I bought a 12v heater from HF 12V Heater w/ Fan (http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-rubberized-heater-with-fan-96144.html) to help warm stuff up when I forget to bring it in. I can just put it in the box to help warm things up. Haven't had to use it yet so we'll see. Obviously this won't work w/ full mobile units. Probably should get a fire extinguisher too, just in case. :)

Italian Iron
11-17-2011, 08:48 AM
I've had friends who swear by hanging a few 100 watt lightbulbs in their vans instead of using a heater..Seems that is enough to keep it decent in there without having to use a much more expensive and potentially dangerous (fire hazard) electric heater..
The bigger the area the more bulbs of course..
*** Also more friendly "GREEN" flourescent bulbs throw off a substantial amount of heat as well and use much less power,some as little as 13 watts versus 1,000 watts or more for electric heaters...10 bulbs could use as little as one 125 watt bulb and throw off quite a bit of heat..

Haven't actually tried this, i'm lucky enough to have a heated garage.

*Any input is always appreciated!!!

Ron Atchison
11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Planning! Some amount of planning is needed in the winter months just like you winterize your home you need to winterize your detailing supplies. Put your liquid products into smaller containers so you can transport them easier or only take with you what you are going to need that day. As far as freezing and damage to your products go, no it's not the best thing that can happen to them but I'm not so sure they are damaged beyond use if it does happen. I know from experience of working on a loading dock for a trucking company that the docks and semi trailers are not heated and it gets damn cold in northern Illinois in the winter. We had wind chill factors of 40 below last winter. So when you figure your stuff is in transit for a few days it may very well freeze before you ever get it.

mark58
11-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I've had friends who swear by hanging a few 100 watt lightbulbs in their vans instead of using a heater..Seems that is enough to keep it decent in there without having to use a much more expensive and potentially dangerous (fire hazard) electric heater..
The bigger the area the more bulbs of course..
*** Also more friendly "GREEN" flourescent bulbs throw off a substantial amount of heat as well and use much less power,some as little as 13 watts versus 1,000 watts or more for electric heaters...10 bulbs could use as little as one 125 watt bulb and throw off quite a bit of heat..

Haven't actually tried this, i'm lucky enough to have a heated garage.

*Any input is always appreciated!!!

Electric heat is watts, so if you use fluorescent lights they will not consume much wattage as 100 watt bulbs. Using incandescent bulbs would be much safer then some open element electric heaters. Small ceramic heaters would also work , but they consume lots of power (up to 1500 watt).

BMW
11-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Electric heat is watts, so if you use fluorescent lights they will not consume much wattage as 100 watt bulbs. Using incandescent bulbs would be much safer then some open element electric heaters. Small ceramic heaters would also work , but they consume lots of power (up to 1500 watt).

I agree...the amount of heat put out is closely correlated with the watts consumed. Therefore using a lower wattage device would require multiple units to equal the heat output of a high wattage device. And given the fact that a fluorescent efficiency comes from the fact that more watts (energy) consumed is turned into light and not heat they make an even less efficient heater.

Always be careful with lamp fixtures...make sure they are rated for a 100 watt bulb...most are rated for 60 watt max and the excessive heat will cause premature failure and/or a fire hazard.

Ron Atchison
11-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Want to talk about heat from lights. Then use a halogen when your done looking for swirls for the day!