PDA

View Full Version : Will the Online Sales Tax bill affect AutoGeek?

Pages : [1] 2

ziggo99
11-16-2011, 06:39 PM
In the bill recently brought up by Sen. Durbin, it would require online retailers who do more than $500,000 in annual sales to charge sales tax to the consumer at the rate the consumer lives in. We already know FL residents pay sales tax on their orders, but what about the rest of us?

I can say that I want to stay on topic with this and not for it to become a political thread, but what happens happens. It hasn't had a debate or a vote, so don't freak out yet. I just want to know if this could cause us to pay more when we place our orders.

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2011, 06:45 PM
If you're trying to ask if PBMG does more than $500K in sales, I am pretty confident that they do an order of magnitude more than that.

Old Pirate
11-16-2011, 06:51 PM
The government has been trying this for many years and don't think it will fly with all the vendors on the net.

TornadoRed
11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
They have tried before but it always fails. Essentially the bill is requiring online sites like PBMG to be a tax collector for the state of Idaho (in my case). However, I believe I'm supposed to report all of my online purchases that don't collect Idaho sales tax on my state income tax form. This is why I don't make online purchases. The UPS guy just drops packages of detailing supplies at my doorstep so I use them.

LegacyGT
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
A few states already have 'use' taxes where you are supposed to report and pay tax on items that are shipped into and used in the state.

ScottB
11-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I suspect alot of new taxes (in general) are coming soon ...

SeaJay's
11-16-2011, 07:55 PM
Won't effect me much...I have to pay sales tax on everything I order for my business. Weather it be online or in the store. I have to claim how much I've ordered at the end of the year and pay the taxes on them. Don't know if this is just Mass or if it's like this every where else too.

DLaw
11-16-2011, 07:57 PM
They have tried before but it always fails. Essentially the bill is requiring online sites like PBMG to be a tax collector for the state of Idaho (in my case). However, I believe I'm supposed to report all of my online purchases that don't collect Idaho sales tax on my state income tax form. This is why I don't make online purchases. The UPS guy just drops packages of detailing supplies at my doorstep so I use them.

Too funny!! Thanks for the laugh. :dblthumb2:

Setec Astronomy
11-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Won't effect me much...I have to pay sales tax on everything I order for my business. Weather it be online or in the store. I have to claim how much I've ordered at the end of the year and pay the taxes on them. Don't know if this is just Mass or if it's like this every where else too.

Business use taxes are common and really a different topic than retail sales tax.

SameGuy
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM
New York State already has an "Amazon Tax." The state of New York decreed that any concern in NY that is an affiliate of Amazon.com constitutes a B&M presence for Amazon within the state of New York, and thus Amazon is required to collect NYS sales tax.

Jons6.7
11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
TornadoRed, we must have the same UPS guy, keeps dropping this detailing stuff off. Maybe is his way of saying my car needs a wash and wax a lot.

mwoolfso
11-17-2011, 08:21 AM

Rolling on the floor.....

loudog2
11-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Illinois has been trying this for years. That is why I don't need a sales history on the site. Please lose my purchase history!! They wanted us to tell them how much we bought from 2006 till last year on our returns and pay now. Or they would find oout and charge us the tax plus penalty.

jfelbab
11-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I wonder if this wouldn't drive a storefront off-shore to avoid the monumental task of tracking and collecting sales taxes which number in the thousands by county across the US.

Before you know it we will all be buying everything on-line from Asia. LOL

matthew87
11-17-2011, 09:48 AM
im from nj and i order from AG so i dont have to pay a sales tax. i can order from a place here in nj but then the have to pay a tax.