PDA

View Full Version : My last for profit detail 2010 RX350

tuscarora dave
11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
I recently decided to get out of detailing for profit and thought I should share a few pics and a short video of the last for profit detail that I intended on doing. With daylight savings now in effect for the winter months there wasn't much time for photos so there are a few mid process photos and a short video of the finished paint work before I got to do the tires and wheels.

A little background on this vehicle.

When this client first bought this vehicle they brought it to me to wash, clay and apply a coat of paint sealant to prepare it for the winter last year. I applied a coat of Poorboy's World EX-P at that time. About a month or so ago I was working on a car that this client had purchased cheap from one of their customers. These guys own and operate an 8 bay service station that I do lots of work for. While working to clean up the beater that they had purchased to sell, I was informed that his wife's RX350 had been rear ended and sustained $10,000 worth of damage. They booked an appointment for me to come out and take care of any paint issues and apply something durable to carry the corrected finish through this winter.

I showed up on Saturday and washed the vehicle, clayed it and discussed with the owner just exactly what she expected from what I would do to it. She pointed out a lot of wash induced marring as well as some scuffs inflicted by careless people in the parking lot where she works. In addition to what she pointed out, I observed a lot of deep holograms installed by the body shop's buffer. The body shop did an awesome job at prepping and painting the vehicle and the wool pad finishing wasn't all that bad in comparison to what some body shops do.

After a few test sections, 1 on the factory paint and 1 on the repainted sections I determined that the same process/products would work for both. The process/products were as follows.

Wash: Meg's Gold Class Wash solution with chenille MF mitt.
Clay: Meg's Smooth Surface Clay with ONR as lube.
Compound: Meg's D-300 with Makita rotary using orange Poorboy's World 5.5" Variable Contact foam pad @ 1100 R.P.M.
Finish polish: Meg's M-205 with Flex 3401 using a white PRO 6" finishing foam pad @ speed 6.
Removal of polishing oils/finish inspection: complete wipedown with MF towels and Film Buster glass cleaner.
LSP: Opti-Coat 2.0
Tires and wheels: cleaned with ONR and topped with UTTG (not pictured or videoed)

With my limited photography skills and cheap point and shoot camera these 2 photos are the best I could do the capture the defects before compounding. The paint finish looked much worse in person.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/006-20.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/007-32.jpg

As stated above there wasn't much time for taking photos so the next 3 photos are after rotary compounding with the orange PB VC pad and D-300. I have no photos after finishing with the M-205 and finishing pad with the Flex 3401. All I have of the finished paintwork is the poor quality video that is to follow these next 3 photos. D-300 really finished well with just some slight holograms left behind.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/010-30.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/011-29.jpg
http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/012-21.jpg

Here's the video of the finished paint work. The sun had set at this point so you'll have to use your imagination based on the after compounding photos to determine what the finished sun shots would have looked like. I assure you that the finish was nothing short of spectacular. Sorry for the wheels and tires still being in a cruddy state during the video but I was racing against total darkness so there wasn't enough time for that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x7g3LfsdGY]2010 Lexus RX 350 - YouTube[/video]

While this was my last for profit detail, I do still have a few bartered for details on my schedule to get done so I'll try to get some before and after shots of those to share with the community. Thanks for looking, TD

TS656577
11-15-2011, 12:01 PM
looks good. may i ask why you're getting out of detailing?

shoeless89
11-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Great work Dave! Hope to talk to you soon!

tuscarora dave
11-15-2011, 12:38 PM
looks good. may i ask why you're getting out of detailing?
Basically in short I am just too tired to handle a full time job, run a detailing business and be effective at handling the rest of my life's work. I am looking for a local detailer that has similar skills as myself that I can refer my clients to as they call. I see you're in PA, where abouts are you and do you detail for a living or do you know any highly skilled detailers in the Harrisburg area?

alko
11-15-2011, 12:50 PM
Awesome work Dave! I plan on doing an ONR, paint sealant, and two layers of Collinite 915 on my fiance's 11' RX350.

Flash Gordon
11-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Looks better then new! Absolutely flawless!! Nice work Dave!!!

Giving up the business will give you more time for the forums

Take care of Jack & yourself and stay intouch

dad07
11-15-2011, 02:44 PM
very Good work as always Dave! The car looks awsome!

Garry Dean
11-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Nice work, Sir.

That was some heavy breathing in the video, lol.

TS656577
11-16-2011, 07:58 AM
Basically in short I am just too tired to handle a full time job, run a detailing business and be effective at handling the rest of my life's work. I am looking for a local detailer that has similar skills as myself that I can refer my clients to as they call. I see you're in PA, where abouts are you and do you detail for a living or do you know any highly skilled detailers in the Harrisburg area?

I'm starting my last year of engineering in the spring as well. So basically any car I get is a weekend deal. There is a guy in Lancaster, Barry Theal (on here), who does great work. Sadly, York doesn't have much in the way of people that care about their cars :| And the "detailing" people around here do some hack work.

tuscarora dave
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Great work Dave! Hope to talk to you soon!
Thanks Shawn, call anytime.

Awesome work Dave! I plan on doing an ONR, paint sealant, and two layers of Collinite 915 on my fiance's 11' RX350.
After the work is done you will like the #915 look It can be a bit tough to work with if you don't apply it thin enough.

Looks better then new! Absolutely flawless!! Nice work Dave!!!

Giving up the business will give you more time for the forums

Take care of Jack & yourself and stay intouch
Thanks Flash, Jack and I will be taking a 6 hour road trip for a grand Thanksgiving vacation where we will both be spoiled.

very Good work as always Dave! The car looks awsome!
Thanks Tim.

Nice work, Sir.

That was some heavy breathing in the video, lol.
Thanks Garry, that camera audio is really sensitive to such sounds. The Camel Wide Filters don't help either. I am seriously working on the willingness to give them up.

I'm starting my last year of engineering in the spring as well. So basically any car I get is a weekend deal. There is a guy in Lancaster, Barry Theal (on here), who does great work. Sadly, York doesn't have much in the way of people that care about their cars :| And the "detailing" people around here do some hack work.
I had the chance to meet with Barry and spend an afternoon at his shop. he is a super nice guy who is very talented and very humble. He and I have been trying to get together on a detailing project or two. This type of thing is what I do intend to do to keep the passion for detailing alive. Barry is the only local detailer that I can currently refer any of my customers to, but few will likely want to go to the Lancaster area. If you discover a high quality detailer in the more local area send me a PM please.

SonOfOC
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
Closing one door and opening many more!
Read many of you helpful comments through the years.
Good luck Dave! Drop in and keep in touch.