PDA

View Full Version : Spray Wax vs Quick Detailer

Waxy
11-14-2011, 10:49 PM
What's the difference between a spray wax, & a quick detail spray? They both add shine/gloss, & protection.

For example Mequiars claim:
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax features Meguiars Hydrophobic Polymer Technology to give your vehicle’s paint unparalleled protection and gloss.
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer bridges the gap between washing and waxing with a unique hydrophobic formula that repels water, withstands multiple car washes, and adds additional protection to the finish.

Rsurfer
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
What's the difference between a spray wax, & a quick detail spray? They both add shine/gloss, & protection.

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax features Meguiars Hydrophobic Polymer Technology to give your vehicle’s paint unparalleled protection and gloss.
Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer bridges the gap between washing and waxing with a unique hydrophobic formula that repels water, withstands multiple car washes, and adds additional protection to the finish.

A spray wax normally does not clean, but protects only. A quick detailer cleans light dust and adds a little protection. Most QD's will only last for a few days. You should not use a spray wax on a slightly dirty car.

RFulmer
11-14-2011, 10:55 PM
A spray wax will add more protection than a QD. I don't think of QD's as much protection at all. I use them for drying aids or a touch up after a drive.

Danube
01-13-2012, 06:03 AM
I wouldn't compare the two in terms of protection. UQW yes, but not sure about the QD.

PPLd
01-13-2012, 06:11 AM

I found that Meguiar's UQW has a very good filling ability to hide swirl marks.
Also, I have tried to use UQW to remove minor dust and water spots that dried during washing.

I have both but UQW is all I use now.

BobbyG
01-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Quick Detailers have the ability to dissolve and remove light contaminates from the finish leaving it clean and shinny. Some have "gloss enhancers" but I think most of the shine comes from the sealant or wax already there.

Spray wax doesn't clean and will remove only light dust particles. The will temporarily seal in anything left but do add a layer of protection to boost the longevity of the sealant or wax..

My take on it anyway...

Mike Phillips
01-13-2012, 07:06 AM
A spray wax normally does not clean, but protects only. A quick detailer cleans light dust and adds a little protection. Most QD's will only last for a few days. You should not use a spray wax on a slightly dirty car.

Perfect explanation and also a tip I'm planning on sharing in a segment we're taping today on Dave's 1955 Classic Chevy Truck. Won't know for sure till I see the condition of the paint on his truck but that's what's penciled in for his segment.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1325/3PossibleCarsforTVShow004.jpg

:)

glen e
01-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Quick Detailers have the ability to dissolve and remove light contaminates from the finish leaving it clean and shinny. Some have "gloss enhancers" but I think most of the shine comes from the sealant or wax already there.

Spray wax doesn't clean and will remove only light dust particles. The will temporarily seal in anything left but do add a layer of protection to boost the longevity of the sealant or wax..

My take on it anyway...

agreed and QD is kinda of an all purpose lube/solution for other things - I use it as a lubricant sometimes when I've compounded the surface dry and want some additional work time, or to clean up a spill, remove bird droppings or hand prints where I've leaned on the car, kinda like a "super water" for detailing.

Megs Quik wax and DG Aquawax (love this!) right after I wash, just want to enhance gloss and extend the LSP a bit....

KneeDragr
01-13-2012, 07:37 AM
My usage is...

Clean Car -> Spray Wax

Dirty Car -> Quick Detailer

Another thing I use Quick Detailer for is on the nose of my Corvette before every drive. The nose tends to attract a lot of bugs on the backroads I drive on, so my adding the QD before driving they slide right off with a soaking wet microfiber towel after returning.

ScottB
01-13-2012, 09:13 PM
lately as more products come out certainly it appears to blur the line between the two. I still call most qd'ers+

BlackRam
12-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Bump

After I dry my truck with a synthetic chamois after washing, I use Megs D155 Last Touch. I then either use Megs Ultimate Quik Wax (the spray) or whatever wax i am using. Is it necessary to use the D155 before the Spray wax? I find sometime I get water spotting after drying so the QD fixes that, but i then end up having to use the D155 after the spray or regular wax.....in short it adds more time to an already long process.

PiPUK
12-26-2013, 05:38 AM
The boundaries are significantly blurred with QDs. Certainly our experience is that the prices now charged with many QDs means that our niche customers (the ones who aren't trying to break you over a couple of cents!) can have some pretty special products for QDs. I cannot speak for all bit we have budget QDs which lubricate and clean a bit and leave a good shine, we have QDs which then add a bit of protection and you can get weeks of beading out of them and then we have QDs which will outperform many spray sealants. Again, I cannot comment for others but I know that some of the products our customers sell, if used on a monthly basis, would totally eliminate the need for any additional wax or sealant step.

As noted elsewhere with regards to the newer sealant type products, you can do an awful lot with the modern technologies!

HateSwirls
12-26-2013, 06:48 AM
I have both.
Use the spray wax after a full wash and QD for removing light dust and finger prints.
QD is much easier to work with, less buffing.

Spray wax helps protect your LSP IMO.

jankerson
12-26-2013, 07:47 AM
I use M135, M34 and D156.

M135, Mirror Glaze Synthetic Spray detailer.

D156, Detailers Express Spray Wax.

Then I also use M34 Finial Inspection.

I use M135 a lot and it really adds to the shine.

I use D156 as a drying aid, spray on while the car is still wet and then dry. Leaves an awesome finish.

Jaretr1
12-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Forgive me if I missed it, but there are spray waxes that are not just "booster" waxes, but offer stand alone protection. There are also lots of spray waxes that act more as a booster.

While quick detailers often do add some protection, they are more designed as a method to remove light dust and because of their great lubricity, work well as clay lubricants.

I have been using XMT Final Finish quick detailer as a drying aid every time I wash my car. As I wipe down the final water spots, I spritz the qd over and wipe down and it leave a slick spot free finish and also aids in preventing any scratches as it adds lubricity to the cloth.

I use XMT Spray Wax about once a month to boost the protection already on the car. They both work the same, wipe on and wipe off.

I have used Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax and it works well. Megs NXT Spray wax though was HORRENDOUS!!! It needed to dry to a haze and then was very difficult to remove.