PDA

View Full Version : Ultima Paint Guard Plus Tips

Pages : [1] 2

CEE DOG
11-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi guys, I saw someone posting about UPGP and thought this might be helpful to them as they had some questions. It's copied from my article on L2D.

A lot of you have probably read this in different threads a number of times as a response from me to others questions. I get a pm with questions on these tips occasionally so I thought I would post this in it's own thread so I can send a link to anyone that asks in the future. :cheers:

My UPGP tips:

I love all the Ultima products I've used.

Ultima Paint prep plus works as a light polish but also leaves behind a primer for the UPGP. You do not have to use the UPPP. If you don't then you should clean the paint after polishing so the UPGP bonds properly.

Ultima Paint Guard Plus

UPGP is extremely easy to apply. The mistake people make is they apply too much. Apply the UPGP by hand and follow the directions! Below is my method which should not contradict the instructions you receive with the product.

1.-Shake the bottle.

2.-Take a clean microfiber applicator and spray 1 spray onto it to prime it.

3.-Spray it once more and do about a 3 SQ FT area.

4.-Apply in circular motions just making sure to overlap and cover the entire area. You are not polishing so no need to rub too hard or over and over. I always finish with straight lines from front to back of the panel. 3 SQ FT is an estimate. Another thing to look for is that your applicator is no longer leaving anything on the paint. But on certain colors and without really good lighting its sometimes hard to tell anyway. I basically make sure I do about 3 SQ FT. Then I'll wipe over to the side a bit where I know I haven't applied any to see if there is still anything coming off the pad. Fred gave me a tip that is a great idea. When you are no longer sure if anything is on the pad touch your clean window with it and you'll be able to see if there is still product on the applicator.

5.-If I don't see anything then its time for (1) more spritz to the applicator.

6.-Repeat until you get to the last panel. Now just walk away. Their may or may not be a slight film on the paint for a bit but it starts it's bonding process immediately. Now just DO NOT touch :) Wait 45 minutes and inspect. There should be no need to do anything else. This is not a product that you have to buff off. In the unlikely chance that their is a streak somewhere after 45 minutes of curing allow to cure longer (up to 12 hours) after that if a streak remains simply take some Ultima QD and spray and wipe the streak with a high quality MF towel.

Notes:

Even though on some colors or in some lighting it seems like you aren't putting anything on your paint just TRUST the product. It will come out great if you don't over apply. I didn't have any trouble at all even the first time but I have read some people apply too much. It is a little disconcerting not always being able to tell if you are putting anything on your paint.
You can place the second coat after 45 minutes. I have always waited 12 hours between coats but apparently the product has been modified and the cure is accelerated. I HIGHLY recommend applying 2 layers or more for noticeable better appearance and gloss. On my personal vehicle I place 3 layers of UPGP. One coat every 12 hours.

Update: it has been verified by Rick of Ultima that you can layer after 45 minutes instead of 12 hours in most environments.

DARK HORSE
11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Corey, you know I've read this before and it helped me out (great tips)! Thanks again for posting it. I'm sure it will be helpful to many others here as well!!

Flash Gordon
11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I'd like to try this stuff sometime. The 45 minute cure rate peaks my intrest

Thanks Cee Dog :righton:

Pats300zx
11-14-2011, 05:37 AM
Great tips Corey !!!!

Flannigan
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Great write up dog! You're tips are always helpful and spot on!

Becciasm
11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Update: it has been verified by Rick of Ultima that you can layer after 45 minutes instead of 12 hours in most environments.

This is very helpful for my winter prep coming up this weekend! Thanks for the update Corey.

Jaddie
11-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Dear Corey

When you are no longer sure if anything is on the pad touch your clean window with it and you'll be able to see if there is still product on the applicator.

That's the money tip right there!

Thank you so very, very much!

budinsc
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
i agree with corey. ultimas sealant is THE best and the easiest to to work with. i recently tried another one that was highly recommended on the forum. the results......absolutely no better using a split panel comparison and was a 2 step product so i learned a $42 lesson with double the effort. just remember NOT to put too much on!

budinsc

tw33k2514
11-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Great tips Corey. I never thought of testing for product on the window...

VW 91
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
What kind of durability can you get with 2 coats?

DaytonaJae
04-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Corey, Thanks for pointing me to your thread here. That helps me alot. I am expecting my shipment of UPGP today, so hope to try it this evening.

Free your mind... Trust the product... got it.

CEE DOG
04-24-2012, 09:55 AM
My pleasure Jae! You got it, "Free your mind" like the Matrix lol.

Pm sent

Rez90
04-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Bump for an outstanding product.

BookemDano
04-24-2012, 10:23 AM
My pleasure Jae! You got it, "Free your mind" like the Matrix lol.

Pm sent
Corey,

I just ordered UPGP last night based on your review. I've been using a Zaino protocol for years and decided to try an Ultima protocol. I'm thinking 1/2 of my Audi with Z2/Z5 + Z6/Z8 and the other 1/2 with UPGP + UWWP, for looks and durability.

My order also included UTTGP to compare against CarPro PERL.

Regards,

Dan.

Bergy
11-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Corey, could this go over Meg's Ultimate Polish directly, or would I need to use a cleaner like a light clay on the paint? Thanks... a newbie here, not sure about the paint cleaner comment.