PDA

View Full Version : Help me make sure I understand about sealants...

spike
11-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to know...if you are using a sealant like WG DGPS or Klasse, do you always have to use some kind of paint cleaner/polish/AIO before applying the sealant? Do you always need some kind of cleaner step so that the sealant will bond to the paint effectively?

If that is the case, then I see how applying sealants is definitely more time-consuming than just slapping on a coat of wax and going on with your day. I love the durability of sealants, but you could save time using just a wax for your LSP and skipping the paint cleaner/AIO step.

Just wondering about your thoughts on this...

:)

mjlinane
11-13-2011, 12:42 PM
To get maximum durability out of either a wax or sealant, it needs to bond directly with the paint. A paint cleanser or compatible AIO ensures you have that.

CEE DOG
11-13-2011, 01:29 PM
It all depends not the condition of the vehicle and what you want to accomplish.

If you don't polish the vehicle a paint cleaner will help regardless of if you finish with wax or sealant.

If talking only about the bond with the paint and durability then, again removing all oils is going to allow the wax or sealant to better bond. However many have solvent in them that will remove some amount of oils as you apply.

You can use a product like CarPro Eraser to clean the paint prior to your LSP. Or you can wash the car with a stripping shampoo prior to lsp. Or you can use a paint cleaner compatible with your lsp. Or you can simply remove the polish oils with a polish removal type mf towel as best you can before LSP. Personally I use one of the first three methods before my LSP.

Another option is using a water based polish during your polish step or one that is compatible with the lsp in the same line.

Now if you are to apply a coating it's a whole nother ball of wax. You must be sure to have absolutely no oils on the surface if you want to get the benefit of amazing durability with a coating.

FUNX650
11-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to know...if you are using a sealant like WG DGPS or Klasse, do you always have to use some kind of paint cleaner/polish/AIO before applying the sealant? Do you always need some kind of cleaner step so that the sealant will bond to the paint effectively?

If that is the case, then I see how applying sealants is definitely more time-consuming than just slapping on a coat of wax and going on with your day. I love the durability of sealants, but you could save time using just a wax for your LSP and skipping the paint cleaner/AIO step.

Just wondering about your thoughts on this...

In a nut-shell:

Per: Mike Phillips Articles (See highlighted below)

What you're inquiring about, IMO, falls into the category of:

Synergistic Chemical Compatibility

Within this category lies:

-Miscible/immiscible concept
-Staying within/using one manufacturers line (brand)
-Personal Preference
-Following car care forums members' recommendations
-But I digress

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31186-miscible-immiscible-wax-paint-sealant-bonding.html

I wish to add:

Coatings seem to be in a different league than waxes/sealants.

But, I'd bet that there is probably an accepted understanding that, to again follow the manufacturers recommendations, would be a "best practice" procedure.

Hope this helps.
I know Mike Phillips' articles have that effect on me!

Bob

spike
11-13-2011, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't even know that the article on this topic even existed!! But of course I should have known that Mike had this topic covered. I think I now have a better understanding of it all. Go by the manufacturer's instructions, because the products were designed to be used that way, synergistically. Totally makes sense now! And cutting corners by not prepping the paint the right way won't give you the desired results.

:dblthumb2:

spike
11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
OK, so now I have another question...say I used Klasse AIO, then 2 coats of SG 24 hrs apart to allow for proper curing time. Then a month or two goes by, and I want to apply another coat of SG. Do I need to use the AIO again, then apply the SG? or would it bond properly because not much time has elapsed for the paint to get too dirty?

Same scenario with WG DGPS...after a month or two elapsed, would I need to clean the paint again, with say WG FG, then apply the coat of DGPS? Or is it OK to just go ahead with the DGPS alone without a prep step?

I know these questions really depend on the condition of the paint on the car, etc...but in general, would this idea work?

Interested to see from your personal experience what works.

:props:

umi000
11-14-2011, 10:34 AM
In general, it should be fine to just wash the car, then apply your sealant - no need to do the paint cleaner step (which will also strip away any previous sealant layers). As long as you haven't applied anything else on top of it, it should bond to itself ok. Of course, if too long has elapsed, it's always best to apply to a clean surface, to ensure better bonding and durability.