PDA

View Full Version : Swirls

Pages : [1] 2

The Critic
11-13-2011, 05:18 AM
My DD is a new Prius with the Winter Gray Metallic paint. I have been fairly good about washing it with ONR or the two-bucket method and keeping a coat of wax or sealant on the car at all times.

However, after 4 months and at least 20 washes, I'm starting to see light to moderate swirling under certain lighting conditions.

I use a wash mitt from Chemical guys, some cobra microfiber towels, and a pack of Costco microfiber towels for my detailing. The wash mitt is about 2 years old but is washed after each use in the washing machine. The Costco microfiber towels feel rather rough to the touch, but are clean-- could those be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Bunky
11-13-2011, 06:45 AM
...could those be the problem?

It may be but you need to look at your entire process.

You can try the CD test with the towels/mitt - wipe the the towel or mitt on a blank CD/DVD to see if it scratches it. CD's are softer than paint so it can pinpoint a bad towel.

It is often as much about technique washing and waxing.

For example, when you wash with ONR do you ever see dirt on your drying towel?

What kind of applicator do you use to apply the sealant?

Flash Gordon
11-13-2011, 08:05 AM
After 20 hand washes, you can count on inducing a certain amount of swirls. Sounds like its time for another correction after your next wash :autowash:

I like this font!!! Good Morning everyone!!! :cruisin:

buddhadog
11-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Most of the Pruis Ive seen have super soft paint . Maybe Try a gentler touch or a blow dry instead.

Personally I wouldnt trust a ONR for this kind soft paint . You could just go back to regular washes.

The Critic
11-13-2011, 02:23 PM
It may be but you need to look at your entire process.

You can try the CD test with the towels/mitt - wipe the the towel or mitt on a blank CD/DVD to see if it scratches it. CD's are softer than paint so it can pinpoint a bad towel.

It is often as much about technique washing and waxing.

For example, when you wash with ONR do you ever see dirt on your drying towel?

What kind of applicator do you use to apply the sealant?
No dirt on the cobra guzzler waffle weave that I use for drying. I also wash this towel at least weekly in the washing machine. I have noticed, however, that the towel is nowhere near as soft as it was when new.

I did use some collinite 915 recently that required some serious elbow grease to remove, which I think may have contributed to the swirls.

I have been using those orange foam applicators for application that I also wash regularly and have not had any problems there.

Most of the Pruis Ive seen have super soft paint . Maybe Try a gentler touch or a blow dry instead.

Personally I wouldnt trust a ONR for this kind soft paint . You could just go back to regular washes.

That's what I am starting to think as well. But I live in an apt with a garage with no hose. I drive a lot and like to ONR wash twice a week. Visiting the coin-op to pressure wash the car before each ONR wash would be a bit expensive.

VR8
11-13-2011, 03:29 PM
No dirt on the cobra guzzler waffle weave that I use for drying. I also wash this towel at least weekly in the washing machine. I have noticed, however, that the towel is nowhere near as soft as it was when new.

Do you wash with a grainular detergent or liquid? And do you dry the towels in the dryer?

Grainular detergents can leave behind residue on your towels and drying them in the dryer will take away some of their absorbency.

To me, these are just things to live with. You're going to see some swirls on your daily driver no matter how careful. Hopefully with best practices during washing, you'll only need a light polish to recoup your swirlfree finish once or twice a year.

The Critic
11-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Do you wash with a grainular detergent or liquid? And do you dry the towels in the dryer?

Grainular detergents can leave behind residue on your towels and drying them in the dryer will take away some of their absorbency.

To me, these are just things to live with. You're going to see some swirls on your daily driver no matter how careful. Hopefully with best practices during washing, you'll only need a light polish to recoup your swirlfree finish once or twice a year.
Liquid, though good point about granular detergent. I hadn't thought about that.

RTexasF
11-13-2011, 05:27 PM
After 20 hand washes, you can count on inducing a certain amount of swirls. Sounds like its time for another correction after your next wash

I agree with Flash. A finish can only stay "perfect" for so long and it is a daily driver after all. It doesn't matter how careful you are or what products you use the more you touch the paint the quicker the little imperfections show themselves. Live with it.

mwtaco
11-13-2011, 08:39 PM
I agree with Flash. A finish can only stay "perfect" for so long and it is a daily driver after all. It doesn't matter how careful you are or what products you use the more you touch the paint the quicker the little imperfections show themselves. Live with it.

agree. if you go OCD on a daily driver, you'll go nuts. in the big picture its a losing war. i will win the little battles with an occasional light polish and good wash technique. no surprise to see occasional swirls. (though paint has held up really well and i havent really noticed any). i will never give up my addiction to rinseless washing.

i have used those costco yellow mf for buffing my black truck. had no issues with them. dont use them as much because i bought some gray/black thick vroom target towels for buffing and they are my favorite. love em.

i use the guzzler for drying. wash it after each use and havent had issue with them.

i use dp mf cleaner to wash my mf's, wash media, and all applicators.

these are my experiences and of course depending on the condition of your equipment, ymmv.

The Critic
11-14-2011, 02:21 AM
Thanks guys.

I guess I'll just wax more often to cover up the swirls. ;) Gotta do something with those 2 tubs of DP max wax that I just ordered with the B1G1 special. :p

Also got a quart of Optimum Polish II to try out. So, perhaps I will go ahead and purchase new mf towels, polish the paint, and start over anew.

I should also add that currently, after 20+ washes, the paint is still extremely shiny and the swirls are only slightly visible under a few select lighting conditions. I guess that is pretty good since 5-6 of those washes were automatic :o, and the car sees mostly highway driving and has 15k on it in just 4 months.

KneeDragr
11-14-2011, 09:52 AM
I guess that is pretty good since 5-6 of those washes were automatic :o, and the car sees mostly highway driving and has 15k on it in just 4 months.

5-6 automatic washes will do more damage than 20 hand washes.

Also, I lived in an Apt with no hose outlet for a while in my 20s. What I did was get an adapter that screws a hose into the kitchen sink, then just run the hose out through the garage. If you dont live on the 1st floor you could always drop the hose it out the window. The water pressure wasnt that great, but with the right nozzle you will be fine.

buddhadog
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys.

I guess I'll just wax more often to cover up the swirls. ;) Gotta do something with those 2 tubs of DP max wax that I just ordered with the B1G1 special. :p

Also got a quart of Optimum Polish II to try out. So, perhaps I will go ahead and purchase new mf towels, polish the paint, and start over anew.

I should also add that currently, after 20+ washes, the paint is still extremely shiny and the swirls are only slightly visible under a few select lighting conditions. I guess that is pretty good since 5-6 of those washes were automatic :o, and the car sees mostly highway driving and has 15k on it in just 4 months.You didnt mention that !:bash:Thats where your swirls are probably from!:nomore:

Flash Gordon
11-14-2011, 11:46 AM
You didnt mention that !:bash:Thats where your swirls are probably from!:nomore:

:iagree: It's not so much the brushes as it is the funk that they pick-up off of previous cars. If you get tar trapped in the brush, you have BIG problems

The Critic
11-14-2011, 02:28 PM
:iagree: It's not so much the brushes as it is the funk that they pick-up off of previous cars. If you get tar trapped in the brush, you have BIG problems

Funny thing is is that I know the swirls are from me due to the pattern of them.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Flash Gordon
11-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Funny thing is is that I know the swirls are from me due to the pattern of them.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

IDK if thats something I would advertise ^

Blame it on Swirl-a-World like everyone else :bolt: