PDA

View Full Version : Using the pc gives my teenage son a BADLY swollen hand...why?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ltoman
02-18-2007, 12:42 PM
It does not take long either, but it takes a day or two for the swelling to go down.
He is in perfectly good health, he is a teenager - anyone have any ideas?
This seems to be something that only happens to him.
Feed back please Feed back please Thank you, all!!

Lauren:)

Surfer
02-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow, never heard that before. I've used it straight all day on speed 6 and besides some tingling from the vibration never had that happen. I would say something could be wrong with maybe your sons hand/wrist area that causes it to swell easily, theres a condition like that I beleive that's similar to people who bruise easily and sometiems their skin doesn't show the bruise.

How is he holding the machine? If he's using the handle take it off, the handle makes the machine almost wortless to use and shakes like a mutha lol. I hold the top motor section with the palm of my hand and usually guide it with my other hand.

ltoman
02-18-2007, 12:51 PM
i don't beieve he uses the handle - he holds it down from the top, like you.
weird, eh?

C&C2Detail
02-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Just a suggestion.....I had that problem when I first started detailing. I found that I was hyperextending my wrist from the way that I was holding the PC. I went and bought one of those neoprene wrist supports to wear when I buffed. That helped a lot. I think it trained me to hold it right b/c I don't have any trouble anymore and I don't wear support.

Gary Sword
02-18-2007, 01:21 PM
I never heard that before either.

ScottB
02-18-2007, 01:36 PM
could he be allergic to something you are using with the buffer. Does he wear gloves ?? polish ?? Foam ?? Maybe its something else but used in conjunction with it.

Jimmie
02-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Something to take a look at: Is he gripping it super tightly for too long a period of time. IMO on a scale of 1-10 a good grip pressure is a 5 or slightly less.

Nuke33
02-18-2007, 02:26 PM
thats really weired usaly you gust get tingley in your arm and if you use something like a palm sander with more vibration for like 5-6 hours its really bad

flatstick
02-18-2007, 02:46 PM
[QUOTE=Jimmie]Something to take a look at: Is he gripping it super tightly for too long a period of time. IMO on a scale of 1-10 a good grip pressure is a 5 or slightly less.

Bingo, we have a winner IMO. When I used to run a 100lb jackhammer all day you would see the new guys holding on for dear life. they would be in rough shape after only a couple of hours of using it. some guys would watch their forearm muscles blow up like a balloon. hold the PC like a woman, firm enough so she does not fall out of your arms but soft enough so she will not want to leave :D

Russecu
02-18-2007, 02:46 PM
That is funny. Hummmm Maybe like Killr said it could be a allergic reation or like mention it could be the way the pc could be putting strain on his hand. On a lighter note it could be where you two were fighting over who gets to use it next. Sounds like we know who won!

ltoman
02-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Definitely some important factors to consider here. Pressure. I think that has a lot to do with it. I am going to see next time he uses it. Maybe the wrist support too, in the meantime, and gloves. I do not think it is an allergy as his other hand is fine.
On the other hand, Russecu must be right - it was from fighting over it!!! hee heee
Thanks everyone. ANyone else thinks of something, chime right in! He is far too young for that.
Lauren

Bence
02-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Don't forget that it vibrates. Vibration, aka frequency load may be harmful if you are unfortunate enough and the frequencies of the PC disturb the natural frequency of the body. Sometimes a quartz watch can cause similar problems, sometimes the cause is another source. Resonant frequencies are very powerful; there are terrifying frequency weapons in existence too.

Surfer
02-18-2007, 04:12 PM
He could practice grabbing some boo****......................:D, grow a little strength:p

Most likely over gripping, can put a strain on the wrist, but damn he must have gripped hard as hell to get swollen. You want to hold it tight enough to control it but not so tight you strain your muscles.

ltoman
02-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Don't forget that it vibrates. Vibration, aka frequency load may be harmful if you are unfortunate enough and the frequencies of the PC disturb the natural frequency of the body. Sometimes a quartz watch can cause similar problems, sometimes the cause is another source. Resonant frequencies are very powerful; there are terrifying frequency weapons in existence too.

well, he hates watches, so i wouldnt know about that....
the vibration is obviously contributing....
i surely don't what the heck the problem is - only that it's consistent.
thank you!!!!

ltoman
02-18-2007, 04:57 PM
He could practice grabbing some boo****......................:D, grow a little strength:p

Surferdude,
He is teenage male - I don't want to know what he is grabbing!!! LOL
Anyway, you can't grip a b@@bie that hard - ouch!!!!
Hee hee lol

I think he has a death grip on it, so it does not feel like he is out of control.
Yikes.
Surfer, I was wondering when you would go there...
lol
hee hee
Lauren;)