PDA

View Full Version : Used D151 today on a 2008 Jet Black BMW 528i.....Meh Results...

Rez90
11-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I have pics but they really didn't capture anything worth mentioning. The pics make the car look like a million bucks but in the right sunlight another story is told....

I did a one step polish and full exterior/interior detail on this car. I limited it to a one step because I was doing it as a favor for a friend as a Bday Present to her father for very little money.

Regardless...The paint was in BAD shape. swirls and scratches EVERYWHERE.

I used my Flex 3401 with a Tangerine HT pad with D151. It added very nice gloss and depth to the paint but as far as paint correction...i am very disappointed. Maybe 10-20%. the paint remained with swirls and scratches everywhere....just not as severe as before...

I'm not sure what to think about this product. It did save me some time as i didn't have to do a LSP at the end but i wonder if i used maybe Menz 203, HD UNO, or even Megs 105 on a white LC pad i would have gotten better results on the paint.

The owner was very happy regardless. Considering when he dropped it to me the color was so faded and dirty the car appeared to be almost a charcoal...

Feedback is appreciated....How do you guys achieve decent paint correction with D151?

rider9195
11-12-2011, 07:43 PM
What speed where you using your Flex on? You said the paint bad shape, so I am guessing either your technique wasn't perfect or the swirls were just really deep.

Rez90
11-12-2011, 07:44 PM
What speed where you using your Flex on? You said the paint bad shape, so I am guessing either your technique wasn't perfect or the swirls were just really deep.

3 to spread. 6 once i got going.:buffing:

Dr Oldz
11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
151 won't remove deeper swirls or scratches but it will take light to medium-light swirls out. A rotary is the best way to get maximum correction out of 151 but you risk holograms depending on ur skill level and paint properties. I find when using with a DA style polisher that using a lot of pressure the first 2 or 3 passes is very beneficial in correction with 151. If you pick too aggressive of a pad you also risk leaving marring behind.

Basically a test spot is key to see if the desired results are achieved. If not then changing ur process is in order.

rider9195
11-12-2011, 07:51 PM
I am guessing the Tang HT pad didn't have enough cut. Possibly you could of used a LC Orange or maybe the Cyan HT.

Rez90
11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I am guessing the Tang HT pad didn't have enough cut. Possibly you could of used a LC Orange or maybe the Cyan HT.

maybe...i tried using a Cyan pad but it left some marring. Should have tried an orange pad as i have a ton of them...

live and learn.

rider9195
11-12-2011, 07:56 PM
maybe...i tried using a Cyan pad but it left some marring. Should have tried an orange pad as i have a ton of them...

live and learn.

Very true. Jim has a good point of utilizing a test spot as well. Even though you hoped for better results, the customer is happy and that is important.

SonOfOC
11-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Unless paint is in good condition, I use D151 with a wool pad, before finishing with a foam pad.

If a 4 ply wool pad is too agrressive, then LC PFW also works great with D151.

WRAPT C5Z06
11-12-2011, 08:56 PM
D151 is worthless with a DA, even on moderate swirls. I tried it with a MF pad, and it left a ton of marring. D151 is used best with a rotary, wool, and good technique.

AeroCleanse
11-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Unless paint is in good condition, I use D151 with a wool pad, before finishing with a foam pad.

If a 4 ply wool pad is too agrressive, then LC PFW also works great with D151.

Rotary a wool pad and 151 is the way to go for defect removal. Then follow up with a foam pad on a DA to reduce the holograms.

sal329
11-13-2011, 01:13 PM
DA with Orange flat LC or yellow buff n shine pad, prime the pad as stated by Kevin Brown, Lots of pressure speed 6 then less pressure on your final 2 passes. I think 151 works great cuts better then I was thinking it was goin to. Search Kevin Brown method there are a lot of great tips using SMAT polishes

aerogt01
11-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Remember D151 may be one of the most aggressive AIO products here, but in the grand scheme of things it is still not THAT aggressive.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/23583-aggressiveness-order-smat-products-might-surprise-you.html

I have had good luck with D151 on a MF cutting pad, but have not tried it on a Tangerine HT. I have used D151 to clear up to hazing from a compounding step and that worked nicely. Sounds like if you wanted more correction you should have moved up to something more powerful. (EDIT: Either by varying the method of application or product used.)

Just my $0.02.