PDA

View Full Version : Hello, newb has 2 questions...

Drew888
02-18-2007, 12:31 PM
First off I found the site months ago, with recommendations I purchased a PC and went to work. I'd like to thank you all for that.

Very pleased with my first time results, but...where I should have gone back and forth I made small circles and in the right light you can tell (swirlmarks...micromaring?). I need to fix this, but (ok maybe a two part question) I also need to know how to maintain what I have done.

I use a QD all the time and wash every two weeks, so which of my products can I use oh say...once every month or so? Can I assume that some of you do more to maintain your finnish other than a full detail, wash & QD, then months later another full. I'm missing an intermediary step right?

Second, I hear about removing wax with one type of towel and buffing with another. What is buffing? If the wax is removed there is another step?

My very first order I purchased and used these:

Poorboys:
SSR1
SSR2.5
QW +
Spray & Gloss
DP Sealant
DP XMT Finishing Glaxe
Natty's Paste Wax
PC & microfiber...

I later found I prefer Eagle One Wipe & Shine over the Poorboys because of the sprayer. Much better application control with the Eagle One.

Vinylex for exterior trim works well. Although, I'm up for suggestions here as I'd like something that last longer than 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again for the assist!

-Drew

ScottB
02-18-2007, 01:44 PM
You really wanna try to get away from circles on everything detail related, from washing, to drying, to buffing. Use straight patterns for most, and also use vertical patterns with buffing overlapping the back and forth motions. Following a regular polish with a lighter polish and lighter pad will usually help remove micromarring.

As for qd'er's -- well I like to consider them as two. One for quick cleanups, and others for adding some protection or addtl gloss and pop. My favorites are FK425, Quikshine, Soveran Spray Wax, and Duragloss 921. All add more than just a quick wipe.

Finally as to the towels, most have a different nap or different characteristics based upon what you are doing.

Washing --- looking for heavy loop to pull dirt up and away from surface
Drying --- waffle weaves, these little blocks that trap the water in towel
polishing -- Indigo offers very small texture, kinda unsmooth, to pull polish off
qd'ing --- usually the fluffiest towels are used, quick wipe and pull any dust up

Nuke33
02-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Dont for get to post pictures thats the most important part!

ltoman
02-18-2007, 05:04 PM
Hello and welcome!
My only suggestion for you is to try Meguiar's Trim Detailer in the spray can.
We used it on our older van, which has a grey back bumper and trim (the car is dark green.) Not only did it make it look much better, there was no work and it lasted weeks, even when washed. They don't have it at AG, but you can get get it at Kragen or PepB's, - one of 'em is where I got it. Wish AG would carry it!
Bought Stoner's Trim Shine, but haven't used it yet.
Mg's left a nice sheen, not shiney or drippy.
There is my .02 cents!
Good luck!
Lauren :-)

trhland
02-18-2007, 05:54 PM
i noticed alot of you guys say poilshing the paint . does anyone use a compound first? i dont hear compounding much on this site. is that because compounding can also mean polishing?

ScottB
02-18-2007, 07:40 PM
compounding is polishing, compound is just the most abrasive polish made. Not normally needed unless finish is in dire need of help. (polishes range from finishing to compound based upon abrasiveness or cutting ability)

trhland
02-18-2007, 08:12 PM
i only have one type of polish .i f i polish with a meduim cutting pad and that doesnt take out the scratches should i move up to a stronger cutting pad and the same polish?or go to the compound?

Drew888
02-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Ok, I'll kill the circles, what about the intermediary step? Is there such a thing? Do you say 3wks out just arbitrarily decide to ...lay down a coat of polish followed with a coat of wax and call it a day? Just wax, or just wash and qd until 6+ months goes by and do another full?

Curious as to what your detail schedule looks like say...out 6 mo. to a year. Just wanting my crappy paint (oh yes, doubt a worse oem paint can be found. A 2002 Subaru WRX) to look it's best and last as long as possible before the next full detail is needed.

My first product choice was ok?

I just tried the Poorboys spray and shine again and now spending more time with it, it is clearly a superior product...I just hate the sprayer. Is there one that gives more control? Either it's a very fine mist with a very wide pattern or it's a straight stream w/nothing in between.

I will take some pics this weekend when the weather clears up a bit.

Killrwheels, for a small avatar it's clear your vette looks great!

ScottB
02-21-2007, 05:44 PM
I wash twice weekly .... Wednesday and Saturdays. (always use qd'er+)

I detail monthly --- interior included, underhood, undercarriage, wheels

I prep with clay/polish/seal/wax --- about every 3-4 months

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Vette_001.jpg

supercharged
02-22-2007, 03:43 AM
First off I found the site months ago, with recommendations I purchased a PC and went to work. I'd like to thank you all for that.

Very pleased with my first time results, but...where I should have gone back and forth I made small circles and in the right light you can tell (swirlmarks...micromaring?). I need to fix this, but (ok maybe a two part question) I also need to know how to maintain what I have done.

I use a QD all the time and wash every two weeks, so which of my products can I use oh say...once every month or so? Can I assume that some of you do more to maintain your finnish other than a full detail, wash & QD, then months later another full. I'm missing an intermediary step right?

Second, I hear about removing wax with one type of towel and buffing with another. What is buffing? If the wax is removed there is another step?

My very first order I purchased and used these:

Poorboys:
SSR1
SSR2.5
QW +
Spray & Gloss
DP Sealant
DP XMT Finishing Glaxe
Natty's Paste Wax
PC & microfiber...

I later found I prefer Eagle One Wipe & Shine over the Poorboys because of the sprayer. Much better application control with the Eagle One.

Vinylex for exterior trim works well. Although, I'm up for suggestions here as I'd like something that last longer than 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again for the assist!

-Drew
I like 303 on exterior trim.

Nica
02-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I wash twice weekly .... Wednesday and Saturdays. (always use qd'er+)

I detail monthly --- interior included, underhood, undercarriage, wheels

I prep with clay/polish/seal/wax --- about every 3-4 months

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/Vette_001.jpg

Thanks for sharing Killer I was wondering the same thing about how often to detail my vehicles.

I like your schedule but one thing I've never used (well there are lots of things I have never used) is the QD. I think I'll have to purchase a bottle just to try it out.

Oh yea your car looks so WET and deep wow!! Very nice :awesome: :awesome: