PDA

View Full Version : Hand Wand Self Serve Car Washes For the Winter

Pages : [1] 2

Bacon
11-12-2011, 02:51 PM
With winter around the corner, washing the car will be limited to the HAND WAND SPRAY CAR WASHES...does anyone know if the soap/forming cycle strips the wax (like Dawn does).

I planned on soaping/foaming the car, washing with a microfiber mit, than rinsing and hoping that my Fall Protection Sealant (Opti-Seal--->Optimum Spray Wax) will survive.

any thoughts greatly welcomed...thanks!

mjlinane
11-12-2011, 02:54 PM
IDK. Can you rinseless (with warm water)?

FUNX650
11-12-2011, 03:15 PM
With winter around the corner, washing the car will be limited to the HAND WAND SPRAY CAR WASHES...does anyone know if the soap/forming cycle strips the wax (like Dawn does).

I planned on soaping/foaming the car, washing with a microfiber mit, than rinsing and hoping that my Fall Protection Sealant (Opti-Seal--->Optimum Spray Wax) will survive.

any thoughts greatly welcomed...thanks!

Some self-serve car washes may have "better" chemicals, including water, than others. Usually, though, most of the soap-chemicals utilized at car washes (of any type) can be detrimental to waxes, IMO.

-What I do...I will take my own buckets, car wash shampoo. wash mitt.
-Then...I'll use their rinse-only-water to initially pressure spray down the vehicle with the wand; and, then fill-up my buckets...one with shampoo solution, the other one with rinse water.
-Proceed with washing/rinsing...two bucket method
-Final rinse with a rinse-only-wand-water sheeting method.
-Dry vehicle.
-Check the "brass-area" every so often for signs of freezing. :D

-It's nice to find a self-serve bay with operable overhead doors to help keep out the elements.

-Some folks will take their own water supply.

-Sometimes it's just too daggone cold, too.

Removal of: Salt/slush/other-winter-road-crud, as soon as humanly possible, is the goal that I aim for.

-Other AGO forum members will surely chime in with their own methods.

:)

Bob

MI Mike
11-12-2011, 03:20 PM
I have found that each car wash place uses different soap solutions. Some will strip your wax off quickly. My preferred method is to take a bucket (5-gal.) with my own soap, spray the vehicle then use the soap to get as much of the old dirt off then spray it good then take it home for a ONR wipe down. Sometimes if not too dirty ONR will be all thats needed till it gets above freezing that you can wash without freezing.

shoeless89
11-12-2011, 04:53 PM
If you have a garage I would go to the do-it-yourself car wash, spray as much debris off your car as possible with just the water then drive home and do an ONR or someother rinseless wash.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

FUNX650
11-12-2011, 06:13 PM
If you have a garage I would go to the do-it-yourself car wash, spray as much debris off your car as possible with just the water then drive home and do an ONR or someother rinseless wash.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk

Good ideas. :xyxthumbs: But, the OP (Bacon) originally stated:

....."washing the car will be limited to the HAND WAND SPRAY CAR WASHES".

That's why I didn't include what you have suggested in my earlier reply. Perhaps Bacon will take them under consideration though.

Thanks for your post!

:)

Bob

slickooz
11-12-2011, 09:03 PM
Why not just by a power washer and maybe a foam cannon?

tw33k2514
11-12-2011, 09:13 PM
I wait for a non peak hour and bring my buckets to the self wash. I wash it like I do in my driveway. Even hand dry it lol.

slickooz
11-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Why people bring their cars to the self wash bays, if they going bring buckets? Why not do it in your own drive way?

Going there just for the pressure washer?

tw33k2514
11-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Why people bring their cars to the self wash bays, if they going bring buckets? Why not do it in your own drive way?

Going there just for the pressure washer?

Because the driveway is full of snow and slush, and it's cold and windy usually. It's just nicer to be in a covered space with no wind and snow. And the pressure washer is nice too since mine is put away for the winter.

slickooz
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Oh, I just never thought of washing my car when their snow on road. I only wash it when all the snow had melted and roads are dry.

+1 for wind coverage.

Chris's FX4
11-12-2011, 09:47 PM
Because the driveway is full of snow and slush, and it's cold and windy usually. It's just nicer to be in a covered space with no wind and snow. And the pressure washer is nice too since mine is put away for the winter.

Plus you don't have to worry about your driveway freezing over afterwards.

Kristopher1129
11-12-2011, 09:53 PM
I usually will spray off heavy stuff like slush, or built up snow in wheel wells. Then I head to a very close touchless wash...except I bring some of my own prep chemicals. I'll spray the wheel wells, use some wheel cleaner, and APC trouble spots. I'll bring it through the touchless, then bring it inside my shop for an ONR wash.

The touchless is to just remove MOST of the crap. Usually does a pretty decent job. Only problem is...when I drive away, sometimes it freezes up pretty quick. But, that's why I make sure my wood stove is going at the shop before I even leave. It thaws out real quick.

Dan Metzler
11-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Here is a good thread by Jacob from Autolavish.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/32048-way-properly-wash-your-vehicle-cold-climates.html

Jimmie
11-13-2011, 01:27 AM
It's rare that we will be below freezing all day. Here is what I've been doing for three months, and will continue through winter. Wash at the spray wash with "rinse" setting only (no soap). Drive back to the apartment. Most of the water is gone, but some remains. Waterless wash, and dry.