PDA

View Full Version : Technique: Pet Hair Removal

Pages : [1] 2

justin_murphy
02-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I've combinesd several techiniques here. I get a few pet hair infested vehicles and hate them. So, I've came up with a process that seems to really work for me.

Here's the steps....

Items needed:
Snuggle Fabric Softener 10:1
(It's anti-static properties help to release the hairs from the carpets fibers. The scent will actually help to destroy odor since it has anti-bacterial agents.)
All Purpose Cleaner
(Mixed for carpet cleaning.)
Powerfull Vacuum
(I use the Ridgid 4050.)
A pair of BLUE thick rubber gloves
(These can be found in just about any house hold cleaning section. To me, this is the key tool.)

Techiniques used:

Vacuum the area first. This will remove any loose hair and surface dirt. Wetting surface dirt first can make a situation worse!

Wet area down with the Snuggle mix. You don't have to drench it.....just a good wetting.
Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Now it gets fun. As fun as it can for this job. Turn your vacuum on and sit the nozzle close to the area to be worked. With one hand, rub the carpet with some pressure in a sweeping motion towards your body. The hair should pile up. Suck it away into the vac.
I now wet the area with an APC (or Woolite mix) for shampooing. I'm not going to get into how to shampoo. This is assuming you know how.

Stand back and look at your work.The test area......
(2004 Toyota Sequoyah cargo area. Carries 2 German Shepherds.)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/random%20personal/Pictures015.jpg

The area under the hair removing technique described above.....
(Snuggle mix already applied.)
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/random%20personal/Pictures029.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/random%20personal/Pictures030.jpg

One half of the area de-haired and shampoo'd. Hopefully you can tell which side!
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/random%20personal/Pictures032.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a127/justin30513/random%20personal/Pictures031.jpg

Driven Auto Detail
02-18-2007, 10:13 AM
Awesome write-up Justin! I'm saving all of your "how to guides" so I can utilize them when the time comes. My wife & I are going to get a dog this summer so this will come in real handy.

:cheers:

justin_murphy
02-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Awesome write-up Justin! I'm saving all of your "how to guides" so I can utilize them when the time comes. My wife & I are going to get a dog this summer so this will come in real handy.

:cheers:

I'm thinking of publishing a Car Cleaning Tip Book.....
"Murphy's Laws of Auto Detailing."

Murphy is my last name. Would any of you buy it? How much should it be priced for?

It would be about 150 pages with illustrations.

JSR
02-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Great tip Justin.
Our great white princess blows her coat twice a year. I won't even open the doors of the others mini-van dog bus. I will have to show her this. Not that she will do anything about it.

PhaRO
02-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I'll have to get the anti static stuff to try it out. Moistening the hair definately helps. I use a damp PVA sponge to pull the hair into piles. The rubber gloves would be nice for the tight areas and wouldn't rip like surgical gloves tend to.

Driven Auto Detail
02-18-2007, 10:44 AM

Murphy is my last name. Would any of you buy it? How much should it be priced for?

I'd be one of the first in line to buy! I'd say price it betwen $15-$25.

Stittville Ed
02-18-2007, 10:44 AM

Very good idea and I think you could sell them if you get hooked up with AG to sell them.
The $9.95 price seems to sell many products.
Photo's are a MUST, people love them.

See you next weekend at Detail Fest, talk to you over a few Red Bull's :D

justin_murphy
02-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Very good idea and I think you could sell them if you get hooked up with AG to sell them.
The $9.95 price seems to sell many products.
Photo's are a MUST, people love them.

See you next weekend at Detail Fest, talk to you over a few Red Bull's :D

That's the price point I was thinking as well. Now I just have to figure out how to wirte it.

Is there software for it?

Stittville Ed
02-18-2007, 10:58 AM
The whole key is to use Spell Checker :-)))))))

My son and I raced Kart's for 10 years.
He had tech articles and race reports published many and even a few in England and Italy, which is HUGH in karting.
I took all the pictures and after he went to college I had a couple articles published.

So you could have him look it over if you like.
He is a EE/ME and has worked as a Race Engineer for Open Wheel teams since he was 19 so he understands cars

Jimmie
02-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Printer paper is costing me more than your book. Can hardly wait to buy it.

Another fun thread to read. Thank You for sharing.

supercharged
02-18-2007, 11:48 AM

I'll buy it!

sparkie
02-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Thank you Justin for that fine write-up. Need to give Snuggle Fabric Softener 10:1
try. Thanks for all the great tips.:cheers:

Whitethunder46
02-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Have any of use used those pet hair rollers? The ones with sticky stuff on it? How well does that work?

I've used packaging tape before. Rolled it up on my wrist with the sticking side on the outside. Roll my wrist/hand around and pick up the hair. Worked really well for my sisters car. Then again, this was wayyyy before I had any other chemicals/techniques/vacs.

Nuke33
02-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Im going to have to use the soon German Shepperd

justin_murphy
02-20-2007, 06:50 AM
Have any of use used those pet hair rollers? The ones with sticky stuff on it? How well does that work?

I tried it before. I was spending more time rolling and removing the nasty tape sections. Like this because you rub and vac. Easy and fast......just the way I like it!

Explains a lot of my college girlfriends...........