PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Polisher...

DS Detailer
05-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Is there a difference?

I use the Milwaukee at work... but I found a GREAT deal on the DeWalt... I'm just curious if there is a huge difference?

And yes, I do know how to use a rotary safely... and yes, I plan to make booku bucks buffing out scratches out side of work.

ScottB
05-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Look at power, price, warranty, weight, and features. Thats really the only differences other than color and name on side. Hitachi measures up quite well against all the bigger names IMO.

joe.p
05-05-2006, 08:14 PM
DC did a poll on this exact subject and Makita came in 1st dewalt 2nd,hitatchi 3rd.Above all Hitatchi offered ta 5 year warranty ,kinda makes you wonder.DS i own a Makita 9227 but i havent used it more then once and that was on my trunk deck.I have only used a PC and was worried about the incidents i;ve heard using a rotorary, but i took to it pretty good with some great results. The Makita is lighter then a dewalt and offers two types of handle grips.

Have you heard of the Metabo although a bit more $$ it is suppose to be a great machine.BTW,i've been doing this partime if you wanna hook up some day to make some cash i'm game.Only if you promise to leave mehgan for me ;)

jama
05-06-2006, 05:24 AM
I don't have knowledge about the Metabo polisher but I have bought 1/2 dozen of their grinders for my crew at work and they are a great tool and durable. I work for a steel manufacturer and our tools take some abuse.

ChristR
10-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Taking up an old post... Sorry..

I'm looking for a rotary. I stand between the Metabo PE 12 175 and the Milwaukee AP 12QE
The metabo is about $150 more expansive. Price isn't really a matter.

What do I do?

jesselyons2002
10-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Go with the Metabo. You here more good thing about it. Milwaukee is barely talk on any forum due to being heavy then the metabo and others.

DantheMan
10-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Taking up an old post... Sorry..

I'm looking for a rotary. I stand between the Metabo PE 12 175 and the Milwaukee AP 12QE
The metabo is about $150 more expansive. Price isn't really a matter.

What do I do?

Those are probably the two most different options on the market.. The lightest vs one of the heaviest.. Do yourself a favor and drop by sears on the way home and pick up the milwaukee to feel just how heavy it is.. I personally don't think I'd want to use one 8+ hrs at a time.. I ended up with the makita and really like it so far.

ChristR
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
I held the Milwaukee, and I didn't really think of the weight. But I noticed that it felt very wellbuilt, and weight is a bi-product of that.

The Milwaukee is $550 and the Metabo is $700. Is it worth it?
So I guess the only difference is weight and less noise with the Metabo.

DantheMan
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
I personally thought the weight was the biggest problem with the milwaukee. I think its a well built tool though. Not really a problem as you'll rarely need to use it over that, but I believe the Milwaukee is also only a 1750rpm polisher.. vs 2200rpm of the metabo.. And 3000 for the makita/dewalt and 3200 I believe for the hitachi.

Just noticed you're in Norway... Is that in USD??? Wow thats expensive! Is everything like that over there? Here you can get the milwaukee for about $150 and closer to $250 for the metabo (bargain shopping).

To me the extra price would be worth it in this case. May not be to other people though. The weight is still my biggest concern, the milwaukee weighs nearly as much as 2 metabos.. While it may not seem like a big deal at first, even my makita gets heavy after 8-10 hours..

ChristR
10-03-2007, 05:07 PM
The Milwaukee was 900-2500rpms. Since I'm new to rotary, I propably wont exceed 1900rpms at first:P
Some stuff is kinnda expensive here i Norway. The Cyclo is $1400 or 7500Norweigian Kroners.
A pack of Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax is $60.

I've allways wanted the Metabo.. Guess I should follow my dreams.. :) hehe

Truls
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Get the Metabo ChrisR, everybody says its a great machine, and let me know where you buy it....Im looking for one myself, called a frw shops but no one got it..

ChristR
10-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Get the Metabo ChrisR, everybody says its a great machine, and let me know where you buy it....Im looking for one myself, called a frw shops but no one got it..

I'm going to buy mine at Proffpartner in Fredrikstad. 2990,- eks MVA.
So you can get it for about 3750,-, it's a okay price.
Call them at 69 35 15 35.

If you're interested, I can pick up one to you too, but it looks like I have to wait to November. I'm going to buy some new wheels for my car tomorrow.. So things are a little tight now:P

I've also searched at ebay.de. You can get it for under 3000NOK with shipping. You don't need any converter of some sort.

Detail_Guy
10-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Is there a difference?

I use the Milwaukee at work... but I found a GREAT deal on the DeWalt... I'm just curious if there is a huge difference?

And yes, I do know how to use a rotary safely... and yes, I plan to make booku bucks buffing out scratches out side of work.

I have a Milwaukee rotary, and I also have a Mikita 9227. The Milwaukee is a great tool, and extremely heavy duty (and heavy). I like to have a cutting or polishing pad on the Milwaukee, and a polishing pad or finishing pad on the Mikita. I use the Milwaukee to get the "nasty stuff", and finish up with the Mikita. Although, either one can be used for both purposes. The Mikita is simply easier to use because of the reduced weight.

Having the Milwaukee, I wouldn't get the Dewalt, as they are similar in features and weight.