PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang clay - marring

Da Fats
11-10-2011, 11:03 PM
So I used the wolfgang clay I recently got on BOGO and it marred the hell outta a 98 VW beetle... 1/2 the car was repaint and it did a number on the the softer resprayed panels and left the typical over aggressive clay marring on the rest of the car, Is this typical for this grade of clay? I did not expect it to be so aggressive. I used XMT clay in the past without marring softer paints from honda and toyota. I just notice anything I've used that is stronger then pinnacle has been leaving me a lot to buff out.

I have tons of different clays now, I keep trying to find that sweet spot of performs well without marring and always end up buffing out the paint afterwards.

If others had opposite results with this clay I'm gonna have to revist my technique.

chris

Dr Oldz
11-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I have used it a few times and have never noticed any marring. I feel it to be a very fine grade of clay. Some paints are just that soft, even looking at them can cause marring....perhaps that is the case here.

Shane731
11-10-2011, 11:40 PM
So I used the wolfgang clay I recently got on BOGO and it marred the hell outta a 98 VW beetle... 1/2 the car was repaint and it did a number on the the softer resprayed panels and left the typical over aggressive clay marring on the rest of the car, Is this typical for this grade of clay? I did not expect it to be so aggressive. I used XMT clay in the past without marring softer paints from honda and toyota. I just notice anything I've used that is stronger then pinnacle has been leaving me a lot to buff out.

I have tons of different clays now, I keep trying to find that sweet spot of performs well without marring and always end up buffing out the paint afterwards.

If others had opposite results with this clay I'm gonna have to revist my technique.

chris

Test spot!

Da Fats
11-11-2011, 12:33 AM
Test spot!

did one... traded buffing time for claying time as the paint was fubar'd and compounding was unavoidable

Gungho_15
11-11-2011, 04:14 AM
I just used the Wolfgang Clay on my 2010 Acura yesterday. Hondas are notorious for soft paint, and mine came out amazing. I had a ton of water spots and they were 95% gone after claying. My favourite clay to date!

Da Fats
11-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Yeah... that's aggrevating... I don't know what I've changed about how I clay but the last couple I've done with anything heavier then pinnacle has looked sanded

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

DARK HORSE
11-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Hey Chris, I've used WG clay a few times but don't remember it being real aggressive. I do seem to remember getting some very noticeable marring w/ it at least once (soft paint). But like the good doctor above mentioned "Some paints are just that soft". It really doesn't bother me much any way. Because I always polish after claying, and the marring left from normal claying polishes out very easily.