PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Lake County Illinois

Lstotland
11-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Hey guys,

I've been a long time lurker of this forum. I actually sign up a couple of years ago but just started reading a lot when I got a #Dyno Pearl Blue 2012 Civic back in June.

I have learned so much from everyone. This is really a great community.#

It's really neat to see that there are others who are meticulous with their vehicles. Most people don't get it. My wife can't figure out why I will wash it the day before the forecast calls for rain.#

My favorite products that I have discovered here are 845 and ONR. This will be the first winter that I will be able to wash my car in the garage. Almost makes me looking forward to winter...not really.#

Anyways, now for the bad part of my first post. 3 weeks ago I hit a deer.#

(insert Bambi joke here)

I am trying not to be to depressed about it but I was so looking forward to enjoying this new car and taking immaculate care of the paint. I even had a clear bra installed on the hood, bumper, and mirrors.#

I'm sending this from my iPad. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

I had some body work done on another car, a 96 red Miata, in the summer and used a local body shop that was recommended. They didn't do a great job and I am pretty unhappy about it. I'll detail in a future post. The thought of having to deal with another body shop and the possibility that the paint job won't look new is the most upsetting.#

So I did some research online and found a shop nearby that had good reviews. I don't know how many people do this but I actually went to the shop to "interview" them. They where very professional. The general manager was friendly and showed interest in making me feel like this was where I should be bringing my car. He did not seem disinterested or like he had something better to be doing. He brings me back in to the shop and I couldn't believe the cars that they had there-Ferrari, Lamborghini, Astin Martin, BMW, Mercedes, Maserati and several other more mainstream brands. I figured if they can repair these hi-end Europeans, they should be able to handle the Japanese.#

That was all 2 weeks ago. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow. And I am very concerned about a couple of things. Here are my questions-

1. Can a body shop paint job ever be as durable as the factory finish?

2. I was told that the new clear bra can be installed on the new paint immediately because they bake the finish on. #So when I pick it up tomorrow this will already be done. Is this correct.#

3. If the clear bra can be installed on the new paint, can I seal it (optiseal), wax it (845) or should I wait 30 days? #If I shouldn't wax it yet, what happens to the paint if it snows and I have to drive on salted roads? I would think that sealant/wax is better to have on the paint than road salt.#

Sorry for the long post. I have more questions but I'll start with these. I appreciate all the help. #

Larry

Mike Phillips
11-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi Larry and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I always hate to sound like a broken recored because I post this all the time in this forum, (the Introduction Forum), but here goes again...

You ask some great questions in your first post but the title of your thread says,

Hello from Lake County Illinois

No one scanning the forum homepage, (like me), can tell you have specific question about detailing by the title of your thread. It's the words in the title that tell people what you need help with and then they will either click on the thread and post a reply or skip over it.

Myself and others try to welcome new members that introduce themselves in the introduction forum but not everyone does this. That means a lot of people that would have a great answer for your questions will never see them and thus answer them because they think this is just an "introduction thread" with someone saying "hi".

A better way to help yourself get great answers is to copy and paste your questions below and post a "dedicated thread" in the Detailing 101 forum and then write a title that tells people what it is you're working on, like,

Can a body shop paint job ever be as durable as the factory finish?

And then in the body of the message simply repeat the title since it's a question and all kinds of people will then click on your thread and post a reply. It's the words in the title of the thread that get the right people's attention with the help you need but if the title of your thread says,

Hello from Lake County Illinois

No one will know you have questions about a new paint job or clear bras.

Make sense?

This hold true to ANY discussion forum you join and post to. Here's two articles I wrote on this topic,

A tip to help yourself get great answers when you start a thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tips-techniques-how-articles-interacting-discussion-forums/29344-tip-help-yourself-get-great-answers-when-you-start-thread.html)

How to write a good title for your thread (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/introduce-yourself/20306-how-write-good-title-your-post.html)

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
11-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Here are my questions-

1. Can a body shop paint job ever be as durable as the factory finish?

Generally the answer is no because there are so many controls involved with painting a car on the assembly line versus a paint job at a body shop.

More important than where the paint was sprayed is how it's cared for, if you do a good job of taking care of any paint job it's likely it will hold up over the service life of the car. Neglect the paint and it will go down hill. Neglect it long enough it will get to the point of no return.

What condition is the paint on your vehicles? (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/38689-what-condition-paint-your-vehicles.html)

2. I was told that the new clear bra can be installed on the new paint immediately because they bake the finish on. #So when I pick it up tomorrow this will already be done. Is this correct.#

Even if it is correct I would wait a little while if it were my car...

You're weighing two risks against one another, risk getting a rock chip in the paint on the front of the car by driving the car without a bra or risk having the paint fail because you sealed it with a layer of plastic immediately after it was sprayed.

Maybe waiting for even a couple of weeks it an option? If not get some type of guarantee in writing and have the clear bra installed ASAP.

3. If the clear bra can be installed on the new paint, can I seal it (optiseal), wax it (845) or should I wait 30 days? #If I shouldn't wax it yet, what happens to the paint if it snows and I have to drive on salted roads? I would think that sealant/wax is better to have on the paint than road salt.#

There's not a single paint manufacture that I know of that recommends sealing their paint systems before a minimum of 30 days have passed. Some would argue that those are guidelines left over from an older time and with new paint technology waiting time is a non-issue.

You can go by the paint manufactures recommendation or someone else's recommendation, your judgment call...

For me, if the car was important to me and thus the new paint was important to me, I would be as careful as I could with the vehicle and wait, maybe only 2-3 weeks but I wouldn't seal fresh paint immediately after it was sprayed.

:)

dad07
11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
:welcome: to AGO!

Lstotland
11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Maybe waiting for even a couple of weeks it an option? If not get some type of guarantee in writing and have the clear bra.

:)

thanks Mike. Waiting isn't an option since it is part of the insurance claim. But I will wait to seal and wax.

Mike Phillips
11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
thanks Mike. Waiting isn't an option since it is part of the insurance claim. But I will wait to seal and wax.

Definitley go with whatever you have to do to comply with any claims or contracts.

:xyxthumbs:

DealerDetailer
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Welcome to Autogeek's Forum from another former Lake Country Resident (now living right over the Lake County boarder in Johnsburg). Where are you located - Nearest forum member to me is over 1.5hours away in Wisconsin :(.

The outstanding Mike Phillips has answered all of your questions very well, IMHO.

...I'll throw in my two cents from my experiance at the body shop I work at.

I have learned so much from everyone. This is really a great community.

This entire Autogeek Family is amazing! From the Autogeek staff's knowledge, service and giveaways :) to the incredible community of forum members who are more that willing to help another out!

It's really neat to see that there are others who are meticulous with their vehicles. Most people don't get it. My wife can't figure out why I will wash it the day before the forecast calls for rain.

I can bet most of us here get those same critiques, but when it comes to our rides we will stand for nothing else than the best :cruisin:

I had some body work done on another car, a 96 red Miata, in the summer and used a local body shop that was recommended. They didn't do a great job and I am pretty unhappy about it. I'll detail in a future post. The thought of having to deal with another body shop and the possibility that the paint job won't look new is the most upsetting.

So I did some research online and found a shop nearby that had good reviews. I don't know how many people do this but I actually went to the shop to "interview" them. They where very professional. The general manager was friendly and showed interest in making me feel like this was where I should be bringing my car. He did not seem disinterested or like he had something better to be doing. He brings me back in to the shop and I couldn't believe the cars that they had there-Ferrari, Lamborghini, Astin Martin, BMW, Mercedes, Maserati and several other more mainstream brands. I figured if they can repair these hi-end Europeans, they should be able to handle the Japanese.

I am very happy that you decided to interview the shop - at our shop the amount of people that come in for a tour and ask question about the process etc., is in the single digits.

That was all 2 weeks ago. I am supposed to pick it up tomorrow. And I am very concerned about a couple of things. Here are my questions-

1. Can a body shop paint job ever be as durable as the factory finish?.

Mike covered this very well. I also would say durability depends on what kind of work you got done. Example: Say customer gets fender work done - Includes a good impact spot along its edge. Spot would have many correction steps, but it would need to be filled in with filler. Once harded, primed, painted and you won't notice a difference, but this spot won't be as durable to impacts as a factory part (Yes, flex agents will be in the paint, but still not as durable as factory).

2. I was told that the new clear bra can be installed on the new paint immediately because they bake the finish on. #So when I pick it up tomorrow this will already be done. Is this correct.#.

I too would wait to let the new paint gas out, but as I've read you said it needs to be applied for insurace claim. So gotta apply it then and you've said your gonna wait to wax and seal it, good choice :xyxthumbs:.

Welcome to the forum Larry!

Lstotland
11-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the input.

I spoke to the body shop again today. They want to wait 72 hours after painting to apply the Clear Bra. So its being installed tomorrow morning. I will pick it up on Monday. I asked again about the warranty. It's lifetime through the body shop.

BTW im in Gurnee.

Here are some pics.

DealerDetailer
11-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the input.

I spoke to the body shop again today. They want to wait 72 hours after painting to apply the Clear Bra. So its being installed tomorrow morning. I will pick it up on Monday. I asked again about the warranty. It's lifetime through the body shop.

BTW im in Gurnee.

Here are some pics.

Great to hear the shop will be waiting 72hours to apply the clear bar! Just as outstanding to hear you are located nearer by also!! :buffing:

From the photos you posted looks like you will be getting all NEW parts :). From what I can see looks like...pass fender, hood, bumber and bumber absorber(?). I'm glad you came out of the accident okay - looks like it was a hard hit.

Be sure to post back some finished body work photos when you get a chance.Im the MAN

Lstotland
11-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, all new parts-no bondo. They are also replacing the radiator and condensor.

I wasn't going that fast. It's a good thing because I could have ended up in the woods wrapped around a tree.