PDA

View Full Version : Metro Vac'n Blow worth it?

MaxWax
11-10-2011, 07:15 PM
I own a detailing company and I was wondering if anyone had used the portable metro vacuum for detailing, if so how did it hold up and would you buy it as opposed to a standard shop vac?

Bunky
11-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I own a detailing company and I was wondering if anyone had used the portable metro vacuum for detailing, if so how did it hold up and would you buy it as opposed to a standard shop vac?

I have the smaller portable metro vac. I know one difference from the larger 4hp is bag capacity. I will say if you use the paper bags to reduce dust (in addition to the cloth bag) they do fill up quickly and suction does go down but still sufficinet. You cannot use them to extract water from carpet like if you saturated carpet to clean some spots.

Compared to my Ridgid WD4070, while the suction is not nearly as good as the the Metro, I have to give the Ridgid on edge on wet/dry capability, debris capacity, larger diameter and longer hose (costs extra on smaller metro), longer power cord, rolls easier, but it is larger, cannot be handheld like the Metro.

MaxWax
11-10-2011, 08:44 PM
So if I spray down the carpet with a cleaning product like griots garage interior cleaner I can't vacuum it off?

Garry Dean
11-10-2011, 08:51 PM
So if I spray down the carpet with a cleaning product like griots garage interior cleaner I can't vacuum it off?

Correct...

MaxWax
11-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Well that pretty much knocks the metro off my list then.

Garry Dean
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Well that pretty much knocks the metro off my list then.

Why the hell do you need to vacuum off the cleaner?

Why not spray the cleaner, scrub with hard bristled brush, mist cleaner, wipe with a damp microfiber, and let air dry?

Becciasm
11-11-2011, 08:28 AM

I have the smaller portable metro vac. I know one difference from the larger 4hp is bag capacity. I will say if you use the paper bags to reduce dust (in addition to the cloth bag) they do fill up quickly and suction does go down but still sufficinet. You cannot use them to extract water from carpet like if you saturated carpet to clean some spots.

Check out Corey's (CEE DOG) review here of the full sized unit:xyxthumbs::

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/40879-review-metro-full-size-vac-n-blo-4-0-hp-vacuum.html

His reviews are unbiased and honest, and he provides video demonstrations of this machine in the review above. He mentions that this unit, while full size, is able to either be mounted on the wall, or taken down and wheeled around/carried on back (only 8 lbs) for mobile work.

I personally would not use this for wet/dry - i'd keep the rigid around for tasks like this (have a shop-vac myself) - but for blow-drying a vehicle and portability with power i'd vote for the metro.

Why not spray the cleaner, scrub with hard bristled brush, mist cleaner, wipe with a damp microfiber, and let air dry?

This is probably the way to go after vacuuming. if you want a sanity check, vacuum after the cleaning step as well for any crud you dislodge in the cleaning process.

Bunky
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM

I have used the Metro in blow mode to try to dry carpet. It does a so so job.

shoeless89
11-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I have the vac n blow. I love it. The size and suction power is great. The blow feature is just ok. IMO its got its pros and cons just like anything else. Its small, very portable and has great suction. It also has a blow feature. But you cant use it to extract carpets and the amount of debris it can hold is smaller. But with a shop vac you have a large debris capacity and can extract carpets. But the suction is sometimes not as good and its WAY bigger. So I don't think it'll replace a shop vac but for sure a great tool

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk