PDA

View Full Version : Need a new DA polisher, recommendations?

D_Nyholm
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM
In my current arsenal, i have a PC7424 (old version, non XP), Makita Rotary, and a FLEX 3401 VRG. Here is my dilemma. The FLEX needs to be sent in for service since it stopped working even after I changed the power cord. It hits thermal shutdown after 5 seconds of running (and it is not hot at all). THe brushes are .75" long at least and it is JUST over 1 year old, so JUST out of warranty. Needless to say, i am a little upset that my $300 polisher with minimal use on it isn't coming close to outlasting my $100 PC with LOTS of use on it. When i get it back from service, I plan on selling it and in the mean time, picking up a new polisher.

There are so many choices out there, I am not sure what to get. I have loads of 6.5" pads since i had the FLEX, and I also have a bunch of 5.5" pads that I use on the PC and the Makita, though I have no really been using them since i had the FLEX. I just recently picked up the 5.5" version of the Meguiars MF Kit and I am really liking how it is working, so I think I may be moving to use that a lot more. With that said, it seems a lot of people are liking the Griots polisher over the PC? Does it have the extra power needed to do FULL corrections on like the FLEX can do? Can i use 6.5" pads with it or does it need 5.5" pads like the PC needed? Is it RELIABLE like the PC?

I never really thought about reliability before, and disregarded the posts about overheating, cord damage, trigger malfunctions, etc... when I bought the FLEX, but I have experienced them all, so it has become important. I am a part time detailer, so I am doing 1-4 details per week and this downtime (well, switching back to the PC) is really bothering me!

I appreciate your input on this purchase!

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

dbbrooks
11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
In my current arsenal, i have a PC7424 (old version, non XP), Makita Rotary, and a FLEX 3401 VRG. Here is my dilemma. The FLEX needs to be sent in for service since it stopped working even after I changed the power cord. It hits thermal shutdown after 5 seconds of running (and it is not hot at all). THe brushes are .75" long at least and it is JUST over 1 year old, so JUST out of warranty. Needless to say, i am a little upset that my $300 polisher with minimal use on it isn't coming close to outlasting my $100 PC with LOTS of use on it. When i get it back from service, I plan on selling it and in the mean time, picking up a new polisher.

There are so many choices out there, I am not sure what to get. I have loads of 6.5" pads since i had the FLEX, and I also have a bunch of 5.5" pads that I use on the PC and the Makita, though I have no really been using them since i had the FLEX. I just recently picked up the 5.5" version of the Meguiars MF Kit and I am really liking how it is working, so I think I may be moving to use that a lot more. With that said, it seems a lot of people are liking the Griots polisher over the PC? Does it have the extra power needed to do FULL corrections on like the FLEX can do? Can i use 6.5" pads with it or does it need 5.5" pads like the PC needed? Is it RELIABLE like the PC?

I never really thought about reliability before, and disregarded the posts about overheating, cord damage, trigger malfunctions, etc... when I bought the FLEX, but now I am experiencing them all, so it has become important. I am a part time detailer, so I am doing 1-4 details per week and this downtime (well, switching back to the PC) is really bothering me!

I appreciate your input on this purchase!

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

I would have a chat with Flex or someone at AG. Flex products are pretty outstanding and the Germans care about they're rep.

D_Nyholm
11-10-2011, 12:28 PM
I will be sending it in to them and they are supposed to determine whether or not the malfunction if from wear and tear or a warranty issue. I just don't want this to happen to me again a year from now which is why I am looking at switching.

mark58
11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Like with any equipment you buy they are mechanical and you will have problems sooner or later. I would suggest anything over a PC like Meguiars GV110v2 but they also have their problems with cord. Griots is a great unit but not without some issues also.Most of these units are made in China and as far as I am concerned they have very limited quality control at best or non existent.I own a GV right now and have no issues with it besides bail handle which I consider to be inadequate as far as anti-vibration or ergonomically designed.I know most of the people dont use a handle because of better control or whatever reason, but in my times as maintenance supervisor at medium sized manufacturing facility I have seen what problems can occur in prolonged usage without proper anti-vibration. That said my first choice would be GV and then Griots.
Just my 2 cents worth.

bravozulu
11-16-2011, 05:21 PM
My main experience with modern power tools is limited to WoodWorking equpt. And I happen to own a lot Festool, including their RO 150 DA sander. Rotary or Random Orbital switch. Three decades ago I owned a Sioux right angle grinder and refinished and polished cars with it. The industry standard at the time. but heavy, heavy, heavy.

If you are looking for longevity, spend the extra money to buy a Festool. They are pricey. Made in Germany. But used ones on eBay are bringing prices close to new retail. And the Festool forums occasionally mention someone dropping their machine from a 6-foot ladder without damage. No comment on ergonomics or weight --- both of these would be prime concerns if you are doing this work day-in day-out for a living.

Current model Festool is the RO 150-FEQ. With side handle, weighs 4lbs exactly.