PDA

View Full Version : Quick Detail - Question - Poli-Seal

crxman2010
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I am quickly running out of time to get vehicles for family members ready for winter but if I am lucky, Saturday will be in the mid 50's to 60.

The victim is a never been polish 1997 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71. I am quite positive there is a beautiful red truck hiding somewhere under the dirt. The goal is not to do swirl correction this season, but just get it winterized.

Current plan of action:
Wash
Clay - Megs Smoother Surface with ONR QD
Clean - Griots 6" & Poli-Seal (never used it before and want to give it a try)
LSP - Collinite 845

I am thinking about using my Megs MF pads with the poli-seal to get the paint a little cleaned up before waxing and basically I am wondering which pad would you suggest using? (cutting or finishing) I had originally planned on using the finish pad and figured I might get a little correction out of the poli-seal. But then I wondered why not just use the cutting disc and get a little extra correction out of the poli-seal. Thoughts?

Thanks

Edit: Just dawned on me, will poli-seal need time to cure as it has some "protection" in it?

Dr Oldz
11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
A white pad and Poli-seal does wonders. Just sayin.

crxman2010
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Assuming you mean white foam pad for my DA, I do not have one yet. My pads are still overall limited with having only the Megs MF system and some new Orange & Red Hydro-tech pads to try but had not planned on breaking them out till spring.

Looks like I confirmed my fears, poli-seal should be given 12-24 hours before adding wax, is there a second on this?

With only 10 hours of sunlight on a given day and a Sunday high less than 50, I am going to have to push everything into one day. That leaves me with:

D300 - assuming this leaves a residue that would need to be stripped before waxing?
Polish II - could work after claying to prep for wax?
Finish Polish - assuming this wouldn't do much good without a strong previous step.

I think I need more time, and more supplies :D.

Dr Oldz
11-09-2011, 12:06 AM
No fears. I have recently topped Poli-seal with 845 and on another ocassion with OCW. According to Chris at OPT it's ok as long as there are no cleaners in ur LSP. Both options were done directly after Poli-seal.

aerogt01
11-09-2011, 12:41 AM
I have not tried it, but I don't see anything wrong with using a cutting MF with Poli-Seal. I doubt you will get a whole lot of correction, but I have used this approach with D151 with much success.

You mentioned you didn't want to get into correction, just get it protected for winter. I would say stick with the original plan, it's solid. Save your correction for the nice days next spring!

crxman2010
11-09-2011, 07:59 AM
No fears. I have recently topped Poli-seal with 845 and on another ocassion with OCW. According to Chris at OPT it's ok as long as there are no cleaners in ur LSP. Both options were done directly after Poli-seal.

So just wipe off any residue that might be left (working till it disappears) and apply LSP as soon as I like? I would be able to let it sit for a couple hours most likely, but I like this news.

Where pad & poli-seal is the only thing the truck will see in regards to polishing after I clay it before I wax it, would I be better off using the Finishing Disc?

Thanks for the help

Slate G8 GT
11-09-2011, 09:01 AM
I've used poli-seal on the MF polishing pad on quite a few cars and it does a great job of cleaning the paint and giving it a nice shine. I think you'll be happy with the results untill u get around to a full correction:)

crxman2010
11-14-2011, 10:47 PM
I ended up using the Megs Finishing Discs for the work and it actually worked out very well. I did have some issues with poli-seal overloading the pad (I was using to much) but setting aside user error, I was surprised how well it removed the oxidation and even some of the swirls. The vehicle will need a full correction next year when there is more time but until then the owner is extremely happy because the truck looks better than when it was purchased.

The clean up took about 8-9 hours with a second person helping the majority of the time and I did not care at all for having to work so much form a ladder. I do have some pictures and I will try to get a wide shot before and after posted later if the owner has no objections.

Best part of the detail: Owner figures it would have costed him $500 to have someone else detail his truck like that.
Worst part of the detail: I could barely move the next day to put the second coat of collinite 845 on.

Dr Oldz
11-14-2011, 11:06 PM
So just wipe off any residue that might be left (working till it disappears) and apply LSP as soon as I like? I would be able to let it sit for a couple hours most likely, but I like this news.

Where pad & poli-seal is the only thing the truck will see in regards to polishing after I clay it before I wax it, would I be better off using the Finishing Disc?

Thanks for the help

I'm Sorry, I just saw this. Looks like you got it figured out. A couple of hours is fine from what I have personally found. Poli-seal is a great product and I am glad you had great results with it! As far as the poli-seal loading up the pad, just clean it after each section with compressed air or a nylon pad brush. It will fluff the MF pad and remove spent product.

crxman2010
11-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm Sorry, I just saw this. Looks like you got it figured out. A couple of hours is fine from what I have personally found. Poli-seal is a great product and I am glad you had great results with it! As far as the poli-seal loading up the pad, just clean it after each section with compressed air or a nylon pad brush. It will fluff the MF pad and remove spent product.

Couldn't agree more on the compressed air, I have tried a couple brushes for the fun of trying them and at night when I am trying to make less noise but I think the air works much better. Not only does it fluff the pad well but like you said, it removes spent product or in my case excess product that a brush just doesn't seem to get for me.

BobbyG
11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
A white pad and Poli-seal does wonders. Just sayin.

:iagree:

Good combination for some correction and restoring the finish leaving a nice shine. Adding Collinite 845 adds both gloss and protection...