PDA

View Full Version : Can you see the diff?

cincyjack
11-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Meguiar's has so many products it's tough to tell what to use sometimes.

All things being equal, will these three products produce different results?

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #3 Pro Machine Glaze
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze (suitable for DA's)
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish

My new car paint is in good shape. I"m going for the ultimate glossy polish, so I guess I could also include:
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze

JonMiles
11-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Why are you limiting yourself to meguiars for reaching your desired gloss?

Before even starting with polishes and glazes; make sure your paint is clean and decontaminated. Wash, Iron-X, Clay.

A good place to start polishing would be 205 for getting a defect free surface. Afterwards, IMO you could maximize gloss by switching brands to either 3m Ultrafina or Menzerna 85rd on a finishing pad.

You could then use a high quality carnauba to maximize depth or a sealant for gloss. Paint coatings are also an option for maximized protection and a mirror like shine.

Setec Astronomy
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
MG 3, 5, & 7 are glazes, which are something different than M205, which is an abrasive polish.

Are you working by machine? If you have a modern clearcoat finish, using the 205 or one of the polishes JonMiles recommends, or another finishing polish, is going to give you better results than the glazes.

cincyjack
11-09-2011, 06:27 PM
I am working by machine.
My question was at least partly theoretical:

All things being equal, will these four products produce different results?

Meguiars Mirror Glaze #3 Pro Machine Glaze
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 Show Car Glaze (suitable for DA's)
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #5 New Car Glaze

I think I had the mistaken impression that a glaze would provide the most gloss to paint not requiring correction. In any case, there are three kinds of glaze listed and I wonder if ultimately one could tell the difference of the end results provided by each?

I'm not wedded to Meguiars. I have some 205 and wonder what else would finish with potentially more gloss? I suspect it gets to the point of splitting hairs...

shoeless89
11-10-2011, 08:20 AM
It is kind of splitting hairs. I think it would be hard to tell one glaze from another but I had to pick one of those I would pick #7 just because its what I have used out of the 3. #205 is a great product. I think the confusion is your question is "will these products produce different results" and since 205 is actually a polish, of course it would produce different results.