PDA

View Full Version : Tire cleaning

Pages : [1] 2

Rsurfer
02-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi, need some help on tire cleaning. Will DP cleanse-all exterior cleaner work well for cleaning my tires, or will just plain Dawn work without stripping my rims? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rsurfer

Jdm
02-17-2007, 06:21 PM
I would use gun wash or thinner, then just car wash soap.

Whitethunder46
02-17-2007, 06:25 PM
If you have any degreaser/all purpose cleaner, then that will work the best. Just dillute it 10:1 and you won't have an issue.

I think the brush is just as important as the cleaner. Get a nice stiff tire cleaning brush and it makes the job so much easier. I picked up the Megs Tire brush at a local retail store for $3 and it's great.

Nuke33
02-17-2007, 07:13 PM
I use just some srong GC mix and the Meg tire brush works great but i recentaly baught some APC and Dgresser and im going to try them

Driven Auto Detail
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi, need some help on tire cleaning. Will DP cleanse-all exterior cleaner work well for cleaning my tires, or will just plain Dawn work without stripping my rims? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Rsurfer
I purchased & used 2 gallons of this product last summer. I think it's great b/c you can use it all over the exterior, including the wheels & tires. I dilute it 1:1. I also sometimes use a few ounces in my wash bucket if my car is really dirty and I plan on re-waxing after.

Reddwarf
02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
If you want to clean your tires, check out this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/4236-detailed-wheels-wheel-wells.html

supercharged
02-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Soap and water, any gel wheel cleaner that AG has will to it just fine.

Rsurfer
02-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Thanks guys, good info Rsurfer

tamvegas
02-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Reddwarf - Great link. Inspires me to do mine right!
Question - I have painted rims and last time I pulled and cleaned them I noticed that the insides of the rims are really rough, like they had never been polished after painting. How do you think a 4" orange pad and NXT #3 polish would work on cleaning them up? Or use wheel cleaner with the pad (I have 3/4 bottle of Eagle one from years ago). Would it destroy the pad?

jean kelly
02-19-2007, 01:02 AM
If you want to clean your tires, check out this thread:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/4236-detailed-wheels-wh
e
el-wells.html
Do you have chrome wheels , if so what kind of wax do you use on them, or do you wax them at all
thanks ( I have 2000 xj8, love it )
jnjk

ltoman
02-19-2007, 01:11 AM
Do you have chrome wheels , if so what kind of wax do you use on them, or do you wax them at all
thanks ( I have 2000 xj8, love it )
jnjk

waxing chrome wheels is just a pain, imho. just gotta redo them every wash!
i traded off my dp wheel wax.
good luck!
Lauren

jean kelly
02-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Tanks Lauren
Your corvette looks great ! Thats great news about the chrome wheels.
thanks
jnjk

Rsurfer
02-19-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a 04 Infiniti G35 coupe. The brake dust is as bad if not worse than BMW. Bought some Kleen Wheels from AG, works well. Also put liquid Wheel Shield on my stock alloy rims, this also helped alot. No chrome wheels as yet. Only have 8k miles, waiting to upgrade to 18" tires and rims. Aloha, Rsurfer

Surfer
02-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Aloha, RsurferMy long lost Surfing twin?:D

I just normally use some AIO and then AW now, next month or two I redo. Beads water off and brake dust normally just washes right off, sometimes I have to scrub with mitt.

tamvegas
02-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I have a 04 Infiniti G35 coupe. The brake dust is as bad if not worse than BMW. Bought some Kleen Wheels from AG, works well. Also put liquid Wheel Shield on my stock alloy rims, this also helped alot. No chrome wheels as yet. Only have 8k miles, waiting to upgrade to 18" tires and rims. Aloha, Rsurfer

Rsurfer - Mines a 2000 328ci with lowered suspension and M series staggered rims. Had major dust collection!!! (like yours?) You may want to check out Hawke Ceramic Performance pads. I changed over to these and have about a third as much dust as before!!:) Plus much better stopping.

To anyone - ever used polish & pads on the inside of painted rims? I'd love to make mine pretty.

Peace - Tam