PDA

View Full Version : State your name and Professional Occupation...

Pages : [1] 2 3

fredcandetail
11-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Very curious to see what turns out of this ...
I see a lot of people post, comment and give advice and curious to know if it comes from hands on experience, something that was read or just shooting the sheeet advice...

I'll go first ...

Name is Fred been detailing now full time for about 5 years, 10 years total that included weekends and by appointment. Was in Real Estate 5 years ago till it crashed now I have a mobile truck on the road doing washes and a brick and mortar shop for details.

I consider myself a professional detailer and a master with the rotary and DA. Having done thousands of cars I think I've seen and done it all including burning paint :(

tw33k2514
11-07-2011, 11:25 PM
My name is Ben, and I am an automotive technician. I have been detailing for 4 years, and over the last 1-1/2 I have been gearing up to start a side business.

Kristopher1129
11-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Name is Kris. Been detailing for almost 11 years now all together. 6 years part time, 5 full time 6 days a week. Got my own business in March of 2007 (Northeast Detailing), and have ran it successfully with tremendous retail growth since.

Fred, me and you are very similar in experience! Before I had my business I used to load trucks for True Value on a 4/10 shift. Had fridays and saturdays off which enabled me to learn the art of detailing on the side. :dblthumb2:

tuscarora dave
11-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Dave here, I am a maintenance mechanic at a manufacturing plant and run a small mobile detailing business on the side of that for the past 3 years.

Executive Detail
11-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Jeremy here...got into detailing back in '96 and did it as a hobby/on the side up until almost 2 years ago when I decided to do it full time. It's definitely been full time ever since.

fredcandetail
11-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Good to meet y'all fellas!
Looks like we all kinda dabbled on the side detailing thEn went for it!
Glad it's worked out!!!

DaGonz
11-07-2011, 11:50 PM
My name is Ron, I am a career firefighter and I have a detailing venture on the side. I am a clean car fanatic and have been detailing for 20+ years.

Dugdug
11-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Eric, Ive been detailing my own cars for years. Every once in a wile I would do a friends car. Decided to make a business out of it a little over a month ago. Havent seen a lot of business yet, but I'm sticking with it. I work on the weekends. I work at Sams club/Walmart for a marketing company doing "product demonstrations"... I'm a glorafied sample guy lol

DealerDetailer
11-08-2011, 12:11 AM
My name is Chris, I am currently a head detailer at a Chevrolet dealership in northern Illinois. I am also a part time student (major in business and minor in Law Enforcement). Once I complete my current schooling I play on continuing my education in detailing :) and applying to medical school - but, who knows, I'm always changing things; variety is the spice of life.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Mike here. Active duty Air Force vehicle mechanic. Have 3 years under my belt and look forward to many more. Also do many cars on my free time to support my wax addiction.

Billand
11-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Bill I have detailed my own cars and by appointment for the last 10 years. I was laid off from my job in law enforcement a few months back so I started a mobile detailing business starting off a little slower then I would hope but I expect that for winter time in Colorado.

2old2change
11-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Have been a car nut for as long as I can remember. Started checking out the detailing scene as far as the internet goes back in 05. Attended a Meguiars Road Show here in Indy with Mike Phillips and been hooked ever since. Did mostly friends and family cars up until recently. Retired from a 37 yr career in trucking at the end of September and decided to open my own appointment only detail shop. Playing with the idea of going mobile in the spring. Just returned from my first visit to SEMA and pumped up and ready to go.
Paul S

mark58
11-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Name is Mark. I am retired. In my past life I was a Facility/Maintenance Supervisor in hospital equipment manufacturing facility. Had 27 maintenance employees. Detailing is a hobby maintaining my wife's black Cadillac DTS Performance model. Since I screwed up her old Caddy by using rotary I had to learn how to properly maintain this one using GV110V2 and this site sure helped.
Thanks everyone for great help!

BobbyG
11-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Bobby G,

Professional Occupation

Mechanical Engineer.

I design and build manufacturing equipment to produce consumer products. I manage direct employees and several suppliers to coordinate the build and qualification of this equipment then oversee it's installation in various manufacturing centers globally.

I also design and develop products for consumer use.

Former Life

I started to do autobody work in the early to mid 70's and dabbled in custom paint work and did some pretty interesting paint jobs on both cars and motorcycles. I sprayed lacquer's enamels, and urethane's. I also sprayed allot of paint made by Metalflake Paint Company which includes:

MetalFlake®
Glowble®
Eerie-Dess®
Spindrift®
StarPearl®
Flip Flop®
MicroGlow®

I really enjoyed some of the custom jobs. Laying down a nice Pearlescent Finish with contrasting webbing picking up various major colors on the car products some dazzling results! The "aroma" of these products made me "feel" pretty good while applying them. There was little protection for the bodyman in those days unlike now.

Detailing was sort of a side component of painting but you had to know what to do and when. Wet sanding with the proper grit of paper and what products to use to bring the finish to the desired glow was a real challenge and all had to be performed using a rotary polisher.

If I told you I never screwed up a paint job with a rotary I'd be BSing you. Several times I did learn the hard way and because of this took my time and proceed cautiously learning the required skills as I went along.

Detailing has always been a hobby or obsession. Now I take care of my own vehicles, family members, and close friends. During the warmer months I perform about 5 details monthly, winter months it drops to about 2 as I only maintain my own...

It's great to see some guys my age chime in!!

courtdale
11-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Bio-Anatomy Teacher / Football Coach.

Detailing purely as a hobby, but wouldn't mind eventually making a few bucks on the weekends to at least break even on the product purchases.

After taking an interest in restoring a 10 year old BMW, I discovered just how far you could go in bringing a cars appearance back to life, I honestly had no idea someone could accomplish things in their own garage that I had thought only a professional could do.

Currently maintain my car, but have reached the point where I think I could work on others with confidence.