PDA

View Full Version : Parent's New Car Prep Ideas

AjNavo61490
11-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Hey AG nation,

My parents are picking up a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited tomorrow for my mom's new car. Me being the car guru of the family, I was brought along for opinions about my parents ideas for new cars. They originally wanted the Ford Edge, but i steered them towards the explorer because it is a new body style that came out in 2011 and one that will last longer than the edge (since 2008 I believe). Plus, it has a more sporty look/feel, wider selection of options, and I believe will be an all around better car. Turns out, they LOVE the explorer (I am always right! :xyxthumbs:). Anyways, back to the detailing aspect of this post. I told my dad to have the dealership NOT WASH IT for obvious reasons. When I looked at the paint, I saw very light swirls from already washed instances, but nothing a one step polish wont clear up. So, here is my plan for this new car prep.

EXTERIOR:
Engine degreased/dressed
Wheels/tires/wheel wells degreased w/ TAW
Door jams cleaned
Body washed with dawn to strip glaze/wax
Dry
Light Clay paint to remove rail dust, ect
Polish paint and lights w/ either Menz. 106fa or Meg's 205
If needed, M105 or SIP for heavier correction
Glass polished with Diamondite Glass Polish
Door james polished with AIO
Exhaust tips or other metal polished
Body washed with dawn to remove oils/dust from polishing
Dry
IPA wipedown
Dress tires
Opti-Guard on paint, glass, exhaust, trim, wheels, lights, EVERYTHING (to prevent any rubber/plastic from fading or oxidizing)
Top it off with a nice carnauba wax for looks

INTERIOR:
Vacuum
Carpets get light cleaning with APC and MF
Carpets get fabric guard to reduce stains
Wipedown console, dash, doors, ect with light cleaner
Console, dash, doors, ect dressed satin to prevent fading
Leather cleaned and conditioned to prevent wear
Glass cleaned

I can't do this detail now because of school/other clients, but it is to be done after my finals in about a month. So, I'm pretty sure that is everything, but if yall have any thoughts or comments on products, ideas, additional steps, shoot me a reply!

Oh, here it is... Not the actual car, but one just like this.

http://www.justjag.com/ronniethompson/A00993-1sm.jpg

dougaross
11-07-2011, 09:10 PM
IMO I wouldn't put carnauba over OG. I would polish jams with 205 and then OG

rousher99
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
put the og on the tire tread to keep them from wearing...Im the MAN

AjNavo61490
11-07-2011, 09:49 PM
IMO I wouldn't put carnauba over OG. I would polish jams with 205 and then OG

Why no carnauba? And why 205 instead of an AIO? Reasons?

tw33k2514
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM

Topping OC with wax reduces its water shedding effect. Also any wax you put on it will not last any longer than a quick wax anyway because it won't bond properly. And last but not least wax attracts dust. IMO you are better off just doing ONR washes when needed.

AjNavo61490
11-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Topping OC with wax reduces its water shedding effect. Also any wax you put on it will not last any longer than a quick wax anyway because it won't bond properly. And last but not least wax attracts dust. IMO you are better off just doing ONR washes when needed.

Ok well I didn't know that. I knew it would enhance the look but didn't expect bonding problems with it.

dougaross
11-07-2011, 10:29 PM
The wax issue has been answered.

If I were going to OG my jams, I would not use AIO since it will have sealant where as 205 has no sealants to remove. Actually using an Optimum Polish would be better still since wiping clean with damp mf would be sufficient prep for OG

AjNavo61490
11-08-2011, 10:17 AM
The wax issue has been answered.

If I were going to OG my jams, I would not use AIO since it will have sealant where as 205 has no sealants to remove. Actually using an Optimum Polish would be better still since wiping clean with damp mf would be sufficient prep for OG

Oh I didn't think of OG the jams... Nice call.

shoeless89
11-08-2011, 11:20 AM
OG for life! lol

john b
11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
i would just clay then seal the glass,unless there is bad water spots

AjNavo61490
11-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for yall's help guys!