PDA

View Full Version : Bug Splatter advice needed

Louie_Blu
11-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Hello AG friends, I have a 2008 Infinity I was restoring the Headlights on and the Owner asked me about the caked on bugs on his bumper, from what I can tell it looks like the bugs have been on there for some time as I don't see guts just looks like a lot of bumps on the bumper but it is bug splatter I ran my finger over it and its just very bumpy, wondering can I hit this with some compound and my Griots 3 inch random Orbital, or what do you guys recommend ?Feed back please

any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Louie

rousher99
11-07-2011, 03:35 AM
if u can run ur nail over it and nothing comes off more than likely you have etching from the acid in the bug guts.. just depends on the severity of the etching but you would need a rotary and possibly some wetsanding

Louie_Blu
11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
if u can run ur nail over it and nothing comes off more than likely you have etching from the acid in the bug guts.. just depends on the severity of the etching but you would need a rotary and possibly some wetsanding
never really wet sanded a bumper or paint before, what grit should I use if that's the case, also wont wet sanding remove clear coat what is good to replace the clear coat ?

Setec Astronomy
11-07-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd stay away from the wetsanding, doing something for the first time on a customer car is never a good recipe.

Sometimes those bumps are actually rock chips where the plastic bumper material has been raised up--you won't be able to do much for them.

Have you tried washing thoroughly? Perhaps using a bug scrubber? That will likely leave some marring that will have to be polished out. Or you can try some clay if you have some, to remove bug carcasses. But your GG 3" with some compound (presuming you have some nice clearcoat-safe compound, not some rocks-in-a-bottle you are using on headlights) is going to be your best bet. If you are used to polishing plastic headlights, you should be good on the bumper, and it's hard to overheat with something as wimpy as a GG 3", but be aware you can overheat the paint on a plastic bumper and it will just very suddenly come off in a large area--no fun, especially with the customer looking over your shoulder.

shoeless89
11-07-2011, 02:13 PM
I would start off with Poorboys Bug Squash. If that doesn't work clay the spot. If that doesn't work use some compound. If that doesn't work you'll have to wet sand. But if you do all of the above by the time you get to wet sanding it shouldn't have any contaminates about the surface, just etching left.

Kristopher1129
11-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Most likely you're looking at etchings. I would advise to just leave it be.

Louie_Blu
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I'd stay away from the wetsanding, doing something for the first time on a customer car is never a good recipe.

Sometimes those bumps are actually rock chips where the plastic bumper material has been raised up--you won't be able to do much for them.

Have you tried washing thoroughly? Perhaps using a bug scrubber? That will likely leave some marring that will have to be polished out. Or you can try some clay if you have some, to remove bug carcasses. But your GG 3" with some compound (presuming you have some nice clearcoat-safe compound, not some rocks-in-a-bottle you are using on headlights) is going to be your best bet. If you are used to polishing plastic headlights, you should be good on the bumper, and it's hard to overheat with something as wimpy as a GG 3", but be aware you can overheat the paint on a plastic bumper and it will just very suddenly come off in a large area--no fun, especially with the customer looking over your shoulder.

I would start off with Poorboys Bug Squash. If that doesn't work clay the spot. If that doesn't work use some compound. If that doesn't work you'll have to wet sand. But if you do all of the above by the time you get to wet sanding it shouldn't have any contaminates about the surface, just etching left.

Thanks for the advice I do have some clay I will try that first see how much comes off, then I can decide what to do from there

Louie_Blu
11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Most likely you're looking at etchings. I would advise to just leave it be.

Not much you can do about the etchings huh, something like Dr. colorchip wouldn't work on that?

Kristopher1129
11-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Not much you can do about the etchings huh, something like Dr. colorchip wouldn't work on that?

If the etchings are through the paint, and causing an eye sore...then yeah, certainly you can use Dr. colorchip to improve the appearance.

But, removing the etchings, or trying to wet sand them is risky. Dr. Colorchip isn't a bad idea. :xyxthumbs:

Louie_Blu
11-08-2011, 03:36 PM
If the etchings are through the paint, and causing an eye sore...then yeah, certainly you can use Dr. colorchip to improve the appearance.

But, removing the etchings, or trying to wet sand them is risky. Dr. Colorchip isn't a bad idea. :xyxthumbs:
Thank you Guys for all your help Much Appreciated :props: