PDA

View Full Version : Your Go To Wash Mitt for Soft Black Paint?

Pages : [1] 2

NoleFan
11-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Ok,
You guys are going to get tired of my soft black paint posts, but per a couple of posts months back, I was buying grout sponges to wash the truck. I washed the truck yesterday, and I just feel like they are too harsh and are causing marring.

After I polish the truck once my AG order comes in, I will hurt myself if I start inflicting marks right away with washing.

What mitts do you guys suggest? OTC or AG, it doesn't matter. I figure I will wash this one by itself, and keep it in a plastic bag when not in use.

My vehicle is a white Nissan truck that isn't finicky at all, so I only need it for the one truck.

Feed back please

Old Pirate
11-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Try washing with a microfiber towel from AG that doesn't do any marring or put swirls on it.

Dr Oldz
11-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I like the Dodo Wookie Fist. I have a short haired version that isnt available in the US Tho

JonMiles
11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
dodo juice wookie's fist is amazing...its the only mitt i use on my personal vehicles.

IndeedSS
11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Ok,
You guys are going to get tired of my soft black paint posts, but per a couple of posts months back, I was buying grout sponges to wash the truck. I washed the truck yesterday, and I just feel like they are too harsh and are causing marring.

After I polish the truck once my AG order comes in, I will hurt myself if I start inflicting marks right away with washing.

What mitts do you guys suggest? OTC or AG, it doesn't matter. I figure I will wash this one by itself, and keep it in a plastic bag when not in use.

My vehicle is a white Nissan truck that isn't finicky at all, so I only need it for the one truck.

Feed back please

I've tried many things on my black Camaro. Boars hair brush, MF towels, wash pads and honestly the grout sponge seems to do the least amount of damage. It was actually one of the few things that didn't cause swirls, while using a Brinkmann light, during a CD test.

CEE DOG
11-06-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm sure the dodo mitt is great but it sucks the water up way to fast and isn't as easy to get in and out of. The CarPro wool wash mitt is the only mitt that touches my Sky. An incredible product I can thank Tad for recommending to me.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/38573-review-carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html

Has not shown a bit of deteriorating either. :dblthumb2:

mcpp66
11-06-2011, 07:22 PM
My Camaro is black and I feel that the paint is soft. I've had good luck with MF noodle mitts from Cobra and Poorboy's. I prefer the noodle mitts because I can stick them in the washing machine, not sure how the washing machine would work for sheepskin mitts.

DARK HORSE
11-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I have MANY different wash mitts (including Race Glaze, both Dodo mitts, GS-50, and many others) but this is my absolute favorite for maintaining a well cared for finish. It is EXTREMELY soft, and very well made. They last longer than any other wool mitt I have used to date. When I'm done using them, I rinse them vigorously with warm water, gently wring out the heavy water, then I will swing it around and let centrifugal force do it's job. Then put it face down on a grit guard to dry for a couple of days. Just like any other quality sheepskin, it should be brushed with a metal dog brush prior to being stored...

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/tadndonna/IMG_1679.jpg

IndeedSS
11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm sure the dodo mitt is great but it sucks the water up way to fast and isn't as easy to get in and out of. The CarPro wool wash mitt is the only mitt that touches my Sky. An incredible product I can thank Tad for recommending to me.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/38573-review-carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html

Has not shown a bit of deteriorating either. :dblthumb2:

I bought two of those (only used one) and found that it wasn't ideal for a daily driver. Debris didn't release well. That said, it is really soft and would be nice for a car that doesn't get very dirty.:xyxthumbs:

CEE DOG
11-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I have MANY different wash mitts (including Race Glaze, both Dodo mitts, GS-50, and many others) but this is my absolute favorite for maintaining a well cared for finish. It is EXTREMELY soft, and very well made. They last longer than any other wool mitt I have used to date. When I'm done using them, I rinse them vigorously with warm water, gently wring out the heavy water, then I will swing it around and let centrifugal force do it's job. Then put it face down on a grit guard to dry for a couple of days. Just like any other quality sheepskin, it should be brushed with a metal dog brush prior to being stored...

Merino wool wash mitt, auto wash mitt, sheepskin wash mitt (http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-wool-wash-mitt.html)

http://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad169/tadndonna/IMG_1679.jpg

Im the MAN. Im the MAN. :iagree: Im the MAN Im the MAN

tuscarora dave
11-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I've been through a bunch of different mitts and like the poorboy's chenille wash mitts the best. Lately though I have just been getting the blue ones from walmart because I rarely do any maintenance washes and I really don't think they mar even the softest of paints if I did. I always have 3 or 4 brand new ones on hand in case I do a wash and wax on a black car that I have detailed.

NoleFan
11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Wow, so many choices :)

I will check out everyone's suggestions.

Thanks!

CEE DOG
11-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I bought two of those (only used one) and found that it wasn't ideal for a daily driver. Debris didn't release well. That said, it is really soft and would be nice for a car that doesn't get very dirty.:xyxthumbs:

Ya, I have never used mine for nasty cars. Like I mentioned in my review I prefer a mf chenille mitt for cars that get nasty.

Having said that once a coating is applied that allows paint to stay cleaner longer I could see it working fine on them. Just washed my two daily drivers this weekend and was amazed out how clean they still were. Still used my mf chenille though.

TroyScherer
11-06-2011, 07:34 PM
The CarPro Wool Wash Mitt is AMAZING!!!

This is the best wash mitt I have ever used... Its not to heavy when wet and is very soft.

NoleFan
11-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Ya, I have never used mine for nasty cars. Like I mentioned in my review I prefer a mf chenille mitt for cars that get nasty.

Having said that once a coating is applied that allows paint to stay cleaner longer I could see it working fine on them. Just washed my two daily drivers this weekend and was amazed out how clean they still were. Still used my mf chenille though.

Chenile might be the way to go then, as my wife's ride can get pretty grimey!