PDA

View Full Version : filtered water

Tex Star Detail
02-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I am ready to buy NOW. I am sick and tired of water spots. I hate them, and they hate me. Today was NO warmer that 50* outside, washing an SUV.......Washed the truck, rinsed, and started to dry... By the time I got around to the other side, it was dried and nasty. Spots on the windows and the paint looked like it had a marble effect on the paint. I know ALL of the soap residue is off the paint, because I went around the truck twice with the pressure washer...

It drives me nuts and I EASILY spend an extra 30 minutes on a vehicle dealing with the problem.

DI? RO? FILTER? WHAT?????????

I called Culligan about DI water, and they want to fill my 65 gallon tank for $60 bucks.....NO... I asked about Renting/Leasing DI tanks, and he said he would have to get back to me... I call a week later, and he said he would call me back......then I call again, and he has to call me back...

I don't run more than 2000 gallons a month through the tank, so, I NEED ADVICE..... WHAT TO BUY? Would using a drying agent help, or should I buy something for the hard water?

supercharged
02-17-2007, 02:58 AM
Do you have any water filters in mind?

Gary Sword
02-17-2007, 07:32 AM
The RO Water is very good but it's very slow to make. I have an RO unit and make water for my salt water fish tanks but it takes a couple of days just to make 100 gallons. There are other filters available without the RO membrain thats would probably work fine at removing most mineral deposits and make the water a lot faster.

justin_murphy
02-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I hate water spots too. This is how I got rid of them.......going rinseless.........well semi-rinseless.

I blast the vehicle off with my pressure washer then wash it rinseless. Since you are washing and drying in one step, nothing really dries.

Tex Star Detail
02-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I hate water spots too. This is how I got rid of them.......going rinseless.........well semi-rinseless.

I blast the vehicle off with my pressure washer then wash it rinseless. Since you are washing and drying in one step, nothing really dries.

I have QEW now, but not used to using it. I do alot of vehicles that are very borderline on using a Waterless or Pressure washer.
Plus, if I am using the PW on the wheels and wells, I might as well do the rest of the car....

I dunno, but it is frustrating as heck when you have to spend extra time on what was suposed to be a short timed job....
Just looking for more efficiency.....

justin_murphy
02-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I have QEW now, but not used to using it. I do alot of vehicles that are very borderline on using a Waterless or Pressure washer.
Plus, if I am using the PW on the wheels and wells, I might as well do the rest of the car....

I dunno, but it is frustrating as heck when you have to spend extra time on what was suposed to be a short timed job....
Just looking for more efficiency.....

Well, I'm saving 10-15 minutes easy by doing it this way......

Spray wheels, tires, and wells with degreaser. Also the lower body panels and front bumper if needed.
Pressure wash entire car making sure to clean the wheels, tires, and wells thoroughly.
Using DP's 4-in-1 rinseless wash, start at the driver's side roof. Do half. Then onto the front door and window. Then open the door and do the interior front window (half) and interior driver's window. Go around the entire vehicle using this method. You can even wipe down the panels with 4-in-1 making your job even more effiecient!
When You get around to the hood, do the hood one half at a time. After the front bumper, you should be done.
Dress tires and wells. They should be dry by now.
Vacuum the interior.
Dress interior.
DONE!*The key here is not having to stop and go to pick up bottles of cleaners. This time adds up to an easy 10-15 minutes per vehicles.
**You are saving even more water by not having to rinse off soap. This also keeps water spots and dried soap from forming.

Depending on the vehicle's condition, you may not even have to use a pressure washer at all! This will save another 10-15 minutes easily.

Hope this is good.

Tex Star Detail
02-17-2007, 10:57 AM
True. I just I should start using it more often.......

I am just used to the PW.
Here is my run down on a wash and vac...

Pull out my vac, PW hose, bucket, nad bottles I will be using.
Squirt soap in the bucket (fill later)
Interior first....
-Open all doors and trunk (if applicable)
-Spray Super-Dress-It-All (like Megs Hyper Dressing) on a MF and wipe door panels, dash, and console
-Clean inside windows
-Vac trunk and close, then rest of car.
-Quick spray of odor killer on back floor mats.

Exterior....
-Fire up pressure washer and fill buckets.
-spray wheels/wells on shady side of car with pressure washer and then cleaner.
- Agitate and rinse...then do the other side...
- Wet down shady side of car and wash top, trunk, hood, and back of car (not in that order. Risne
- wash shady side of car, rinse
- wash sunny side of car, rinse
- on the way back around the car, walking to my trailer, I will spray the car as I am walking.
- Shut of PW and grab WW towels
-hit the back, front, and sunny side windows, then paint...move around to the shady side and do the same.....side windows and paint.
-open all doors and wipe jambs...
takes and hour to an hour and a half MAX. (except the freaking Hummer)

Whitethunder46
02-17-2007, 11:02 AM
i'm going to purchase the 2 filter filtration system offered from AG. I'm going to bolt a piece of plywood to the back of a cheaper dolley. Mount the two filters to the back of the dolley with a 4" hose inbetween them. Add a quick connect to both side of the filters and I'll be ready. This way it's totally mobile for me.

justin_murphy
02-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Except the Hummer's.........lol! So true bro!

You method is so close to my conventional method.

Love your new SIG!

justin_murphy
02-17-2007, 11:04 AM
i'm going to purchase the 2 filter filtration system offered from AG. I'm going to bolt a piece of plywood to the back of a cheaper dolley. Mount the two filters to the back of the dolley with a 4" hose inbetween them. Add a quick connect to both side of the filters and I'll be ready. This way it's totally mobile for me.

That, my friend, sounds awesome!

I want to see it when it's done!

Whitethunder46
02-17-2007, 11:13 AM
Here's my only problem with my new business. I don't have the means to a large water tank or generator. Therefore I have to have a water spicket/electrical outlet within 100 ft. of the vehicle to be detailed. Now, everyone that i've talked to so far in my area, doesn't have a problem with that. I've stressed repeatedly on my site that this needs to be there and that not that much water would be used. Also I stated the equipment and how long I'll be using it for with the electricity. Everyone is understandable about using their own water, and quite frankly, didn't expect me to have my own. I'm pretty much the only person offering mobile detailing in the entire Dayton area.

I plan on purchasing a nice 50ft. Craftsman hose (because of the life warranty). I'll hook this up to the customer's water spicket and run this into my mobile filtration system on the dolley. Then run a 10-15ft. hose into the pressure washer which will have a 20 ft. hose. (I may buy the 25 ft. extension to make it 45ft.)

On the top of the plywood above the filtration I'm going to have one of those hose racks. I'll be able to wrap the 50ft. garden hose on this.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/carolinaheels42/033607220007.jpg

I'm going to try and use rinseless washings as MUCH as I possibly can. Both because it's easier and quicker, and also because I can save the customer water.

Reddwarf
02-17-2007, 12:24 PM
I think I need a pressure washer. I washed a friend's truck while he was in the hospital. It was extremly filthy so I took it to one of the those self serve wash places and I was amazaed at how much dirt I kept getting off with the pressure hose.

If you car is reqularly washed does a pressure washer serve a good purpose?

Regarding the water, I could swear there was a thread here about DI water being cheap to buy by the tank full.