PDA

View Full Version : hard clear

Pages : [1] 2

jamores23
11-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I started a 3 step correction job on a e36 m3 today. Usually I can knock out 90% of my cars with a DA and surbuff or megs mf system.. Well not this one.. i tried surbuff with m105 twice and NOTHING, Switched up to surbuff and menzerna power gloss nothing... Guess its going to be one of those rotary days again! you think a yellow pad and power gloss with rotary would knock it out? at what speed would be good with power gloss?

ShineTimeDetail
11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Man I did a 02 red Vette today and used M105 with a yellow Lake county pad and my Makita and it still took a few different section passes to remove maybe 60% of the swirls.

jamores23
11-05-2011, 09:21 PM
yeah well this guy is paying alot of $$$ to get his car to as close to 100% swirl free.... Ive never came across a clear this hard..

Waxy
11-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Try Blackfire Products.

TLMitchell
11-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I started a 3 step correction job on a e36 m3 today. Usually I can knock out 90% of my cars with a DA and surbuff or megs mf system.. Well not this one.. i tried surbuff with m105 twice and NOTHING, Switched up to surbuff and menzerna power gloss nothing... Guess its going to be one of those rotary days again! you think a yellow pad and power gloss with rotary would knock it out? at what speed would be good with power gloss?

Sounds like it's time to break out the ol' rocks-in-a-bottle compound and a big old wool pad. Ah... the good old days! <NOT!>

TL

TLMitchell
11-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Try Blackfire Products.

Huh? :confused:

TL

jamores23
11-06-2011, 08:24 AM
well, i have a dewalt rotary which weighs 100 lbs well it feels like it after awhile lol. looks like its going to be menzernas power gloss and the only "wool" pad i have is a lc purple foam wool.... HOPEFULLY this can take care of the problem... now im going to have to pick up splatter everywhere lol...

tuscarora dave
11-06-2011, 09:11 AM
In my experience with super hard clear, Power Gloss breaks down before the heavier defects are removed. I struggled and struggled with a black C-5 Corvette trying to get it corrected with Power Gloss and Makita rotary and the Power Gloss had nothing for that super hard clear. I finally talked to Dana (Asphalt Rocket) being that he mainly works on Corvettes and he pointed me in the direction of M-105 saying "It's the only thing that's going to cut it Dave". I drove across town and bought some M-105 locally and Dana was right. I finally started to get the results I was looking for. I used an orange Poorboy's 5.5" variable contact pad that Poorboy markets as "5.5" VC pads for use with Flex Polishers". IMO these are the best rotary pads made.

If I had it to do all over I'd probably have used a wool pad first then the orange pad, both with 105 then a white pad with 205 then a finishing round with PO85RDand a finishing pad. I use Kevin Brown's rotary method on super hard clear and after some practice with his method I no longer have the same problems with super hard clears.

The method (if you're not familiar with it) is to first fully prime the face of the pad with M-105 then add a few pea sized drops in addition to priming. Work the section at 1100 RPM or so until the product dries up then "lightly" mist the work section (not the pad) with water (not QD) and then pick up the water with the pad and rework the same work section without adding any more product. It allows the water to rehydrate the unspent product that's still left in the pad. The "rehydrated" section passes pick up additional bite for some reason and I find that this is when most of the correction is being accomplished.

Something that the light mist of water does changes the way the M-105 works and it cuts much faster. i work in 24" squared sections or in about there.

Good luck with your project. I hope some of what i just typed helps out in some way. I suggest that you at least try it, you may be surprised at how much time it cuts off of your work. Just for the record, this method does involve some splatter and a lot of dusting but it gets the work done with great results.

jamores23
11-06-2011, 10:38 AM
thanks dave, Im using the rot with pg on pfw and its leaving a ton of micro marring and holos behind "as usual, so just to test it out, i went with a orange pad and SIP, and it actually made it look very good and corrected about 85&#37; of the problems.. Im going to try out m105 right now with the pfw, how many section passes did you get in

richy
11-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Hard Clear<Rotary+Black wool Tuf Buf pad+M105(or PowerGloss in an extreme case)

For 95% of the hard clears out there, my Dyna and TB and 105 has corrected it beautifully and in less time and in removing less clear.

Don't forget that wetsanding helps a ton too. It is easier to wetsand and remove those marks then to dig in deeply with compound.

tuscarora dave
11-06-2011, 10:48 AM
M-105 usually dries up in just one section pass or possibly 2. It flashes very quickly but is far from spent. Re hydrating it by lightly misting the panel with water will enable another section pass or 2 with increased cut. So I typically get 4 section passes with one application of product. It is a must that once the product has been rehydrated and used, that you brush the pad clean (foam) or spur the pad clean (wool) before re-priming and adding more product for a new work section. If you don't do this the cut will be non existent and marring will occur.

Waxy
11-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Huh? :confused:

TL
I use Blackfire products on my black 04 vette with great results. The owner of a well respected professional automotive detailing company commented about how good my car looks. "it looks better than some new cars I've seen"

jamores23
11-06-2011, 12:22 PM
yeah i am using the pfw with 105 and its coming out good though i have to do each panel twice but its def doing the job. i had to use the orange pad with 105 to verify that the swirls left behind were just from the heavy compounding. i would wet sand the entire car but im not getting paid for that.... im surprised this bmw is this tough, i own a m3 myself but a newer one and i knock out the car with mf pad and 105...

jamores23
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
what do you guys think would be the best lsp for a yellow e36 m3, i got wolf gang fuzion, wolf gang deep gloss p/s 3.0 , collinite 845??

jamores23
11-07-2011, 08:06 AM
i got a little bit of compound splatter on the convertible part, what do you guys recc. to take it off?