PDA

View Full Version : New toy-buffer

Pages : [1] 2

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 04:39 PM
so today my mommy took me shopping for a vacume. we went to one of those last chance places ( i have maybe 20sq ft of carpet and odnt need anything to nuts). i ended up with a bissel vacume. when we where going yo pay i saw a buffer/sander. it had no price so we brought it up to see how much it was. It was 60 bucks canadian (which is what it would cost online plus shipping so its an OK deal). i wasnt going to buy it when my mom was like will take it. i was like i dont really have 60 bucks i want to spend on a buffer right now and shes says she would pay :righton:

the buffer is a Colman 7 inch rotary buffer sander thing. it only goes to 3000 rpm but i decidded it a good one to learn one. im good with a pc but i want more.. more power. This will helpme get the feel for a buffer (plus i use optimum compound which recomed 1400rpm).
It looks like a nice little buffer. I hope it works well. now i just need some pads... and abacking plate... I just thought i would share my exciting news

Mike

67Customs
02-16-2007, 04:47 PM
I know how exciting it is. I love getting new stuff. I recently picked up a 5.5hp shop vac at Lowes for $60.

I use a Crastman buffer that only has two speeds. Full and half.:D 3000 rpm or 1500 rpm. I RARELY use the 3000 rpm. I just use the 1500 setting to work most all of my polishes in. It actually works pretty good.

Check to see if it has some sort of locking button to hold the trigger in the middle. You might be able to use this for around 1500 rps to work the Optimum compund in.

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
I know how exciting it is. I love getting new stuff. I recently picked up a 5.5hp shop vac at Lowes for $60.

I use a Crastman buffer that only has two speeds. Full and half.:D 3000 rpm or 1500 rpm. I RARELY use the 3000 rpm. I just use the 1500 setting to work most all of my polishes in. It actually works pretty good.

Check to see if it has some sort of locking button to hold the trigger in the middle. You might be able to use this for around 1500 rps to work the Optimum compund in.
It has a dial wheel with a few diffren speed.. 1-5 or 6. and it also has a trigger lock. ohh and a rubber cover on the handle to keep my hands nice and soft lolIm the MAN

edit: I just opended it. It comes with a velcro backing plate, it has settings 1-6. and I belive a year or so ago i ordered some pads for it thinking they where for a DA. ill have to dig them out.. WOW this is exciting

Nuke33
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
Got any pictures of it?

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Got any pictures of it?

you asked so you shal receive lol.

Here are some pics. they are not very good. Im no good with a camera but they still give you an idea

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/buffer/IMGP0152.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/buffer/IMGP0153.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/buffer/IMGP0155.jpg

Nica
02-16-2007, 05:38 PM
so today my mommy took me shopping for a vacume. we went to one of those last chance places ( i have maybe 20sq ft of carpet and odnt need anything to nuts). i ended up with a bissel vacume. when we where going yo pay i saw a buffer/sander. it had no price so we brought it up to see how much it was. It was 60 bucks canadian (which is what it would cost online plus shipping so its an OK deal). i wasnt going to buy it when my mom was like will take it. i was like i dont really have 60 bucks i want to spend on a buffer right now and shes says she would pay :righton:

the buffer is a Colman 7 inch rotary buffer sander thing. it only goes to 3000 rpm but i decidded it a good one to learn one. im good with a pc but i want more.. more power. This will helpme get the feel for a buffer (plus i use optimum compound which recomed 1400rpm).
It looks like a nice little buffer. I hope it works well. now i just need some pads... and abacking plate... I just thought i would share my exciting news

Mike

Sounds like a sweet deal, where did you get it from. I was looking at purchasing a rotary too but not sure what to get.

Hope you can take a picture of it to share :D

Nica
02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Calgarydetail/buffer/IMGP0152.jpg

Looks good, are colman's good?

Talk about fast response...oh yea I think you held the machine to close to the camara :D

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a sweet deal, where did you get it from. I was looking at purchasing a rotary too but not sure what to get.

Hope you can take a picture of it to share :D

hey i got it at exess cargo in the south. Its on center street or 1 A or somthing like that. Its right by chinook c-train station.
im not sure how good it is. So i cant tell you how good of a deal it was but a buffer for 60 bucks.. cant go wrong

Nica
02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
hey i got it at exess cargo in the south. Its on center street or 1 A or somthing like that. Its right by chinook c-train station.
im not sure how good it is. So i cant tell you how good of a deal it was but a buffer for 60 bucks.. cant go wrong

I know exactly where it is, did you see any other one's? Let me know when you use it and what you think of it. Sounds like a god deal, a rotary for $60 not bad at all.

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 05:50 PM
they have 2 left and i will make sure you know what i think

BILL
02-16-2007, 05:50 PM

the buffer is a Colman 7 inch rotary buffer sander thing. it only goes to 3000 rpm

you'll need about 1500 .......

but i decidded it a good one to learn one. im good with a pc but i want more.. more power.

you need no more power RPM's unless your sanding something

This will helpme get the feel for a buffer (plus i use optimum compound which recomed 1400rpm).

good idea to learn on

It looks like a nice little buffer. I hope it works well. now i just need some pads... and abacking plate

when i got mine i already had 6.5 L C pads i was using on my P.C. 7424

I Replaced the 7 inch plate that came with my machine for the 5"velcro plate to use with my 6.5 pads...now i can use my pads with either machine

... I just thought i would share my exciting news

thanks for sharing

Mike

the numbers 1-6 are in 500 rpm speeds number 3 should be the speed you want for polishing......

ryandamartini
02-16-2007, 06:55 PM

Mike

You could use it to apply sealants/waxes, and even Meguiars ScratchX. Also maybe some light finishing polishes :)

-Ryan

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 07:12 PM
You could use it to apply sealants/waxes, and even Meguiars ScratchX. Also maybe some light finishing polishes :)

-Ryan

Haha ya. I plan on using it to do swirl removing. I wont do it right away but if i like it will replace the pc. (which works well but its kinda slow at breaking product down).

I dont think I will have any problems finding a use for it.

BILL
02-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Haha ya. I plan on using it to do swirl removing. I wont do it right away but if i like it will replace the pc. (which works well but its kinda slow at breaking product down).

I dont think I will have any problems finding a use for it.

its not slow......1500 -2000 rpms is plenty......its goes to 3000 rpms
that pc will work removing swirls with the right pad and product.....

SORRY.....I meant ROTARY .:o

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 07:57 PM
its not slow......1500 -2000 rpms is plenty......its goes to 3000 rpms
that pc will work removing swirls with the right pad and product......

yes bill that is true. however the pc dosent generate enough heat being a DA it is desgined not to to help prevent problems such as burning the clear.
The problem has become doing clients cars. There is a limited window of time as the cars must get back in a timly fashion. There is nothing worse then talling a customer they cant have there car back. The rotarty will help generate heat, in turn breakind down the polsih faster im turn allowing me to spend more time on other parts of the car

i agree that a pc with the right pad and product can take care of 99%of the paint problems however there is that last 1% as well as the pc is much slower.

I dont know if the post was writen incoreclty (as i often do.. i am not great at this englsih thing) but i was try to say the pc is to slow at breaking down product. Not that 3k rpm is to slow. i know that is more then plenty. I will never need rpm that high. i dont want to burn clear and have to pay to repay a car.

thans for the advice

Mike