PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 915

Pages : [1] 2

alko
11-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Has anyone put Collinite 915 on wheels for a sealant? Or do you know if this is okay to do? I want to put something on the wheels for the winter months. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Setec Astronomy
11-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Sure, any Collinite is great on wheels, a lot of people use 845 since it's a liquid and it's a little easier with all the nooks and crannies. Taking that a little further a lot of people use WOWA's on wheels so they don't have to go back and buff all the nooks and crannies.

umi000
11-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Sure, any Collinite is great on wheels, a lot of people use 845 since it's a liquid and it's a little easier with all the nooks and crannies. Taking that a little further a lot of people use WOWA's on wheels so they don't have to go back and buff all the nooks and crannies.

Indeed - I've settled on using Opti-Seal on wheels, if only because of the ease of use (dedicate a foam applicator for wheel use only).

alko
11-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling 915 is going to be great on the wheels. I went to wipe off some bird crap with some QD and a MF towel and its like the bird crap just slide right off without me even using any force. I can't wait to see how she beads up. So hopefully the rims will be pretty well protected this winter.

BMW
11-04-2011, 12:29 PM
My experience with 915 on wheels has been less than stellar. Although it may be the titanic amounts of break dust from BMWs that negatively impacts its life.

My other guess is that wax's low melting point may be to blame...it does not take much warmth to get wax to a point where it will flow and given the high rate of rotation for a car wheel...I could see that over time the wax would have a tendency to migrate to the outer edges of the wheel. Just hypothesizing here...now real emperical evidence beyond the fact that I have seen minimal longevity with 915 on wheels when it has impressive endurance on a the non rotating car body paint.

courtdale
11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Going to do a sealant/wax combo on my rims. Hopefully if the wax fades quickly, the sealant will provide a little extra life. Hoping that will last me until Meg's Brake Dust product is released.

BMW
11-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Going to do a sealant/wax combo on my rims. Hopefully if the wax fades quickly, the sealant will provide a little extra life. Hoping that will last me until Meg's Brake Dust product is released.

I am quite interested in Meg's new Brake Dust product too... Armour All's product does spectacularly well (completely repels dust) until it washes off which doesn't take much. Hoping that Meg's is just as effective, but has longevity beyond the first good rain...

alko
11-04-2011, 01:27 PM
My experience with 915 on wheels has been less than stellar. Although it may be the titanic amounts of break dust from BMWs that negatively impacts its life.

My other guess is that wax's low melting point may be to blame...it does not take much warmth to get wax to a point where it will flow and given the high rate of rotation for a car wheel...I could see that over time the wax would have a tendency to migrate to the outer edges of the wheel. Just hypothesizing here...now real emperical evidence beyond the fact that I have seen minimal longevity with 915 on wheels when it has impressive endurance on a the non rotating car body paint.

Yeah its doing a great job on the paint…then again it is topped with Swissvax Concorso. I will see how it holds up on the rims.

What are you going to be using?

courtdale
11-04-2011, 02:43 PM
BFWD and 845.

tw33k2514
11-04-2011, 02:55 PM
BFWD and 845.

Same combo I use. Seems to work great so far. I've only had it on for 3 weeks though.

embolism
11-04-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm going to opticoat mine this weekend

embolism
11-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have a feeling 915 is going to be great on the wheels. I went to wipe off some bird crap with some QD and a MF towel and its like the bird crap just slide right off without me even using any force. I can't wait to see how she beads up. So hopefully the rims will be pretty well protected this winter.

did you know that Mike has a write up just for removing bird crap?

alko
11-04-2011, 09:40 PM
did you know that Mike has a write up just for removing bird crap?

are you serious? I'm about to go look that up now.

umi000
11-05-2011, 03:20 AM

Theoretically, 915 might not be the best Collinite for wheels, as it contains more carnauba than either 845 or 476 - and the carnauba probably has a lower melting point than the rest of the stuff that Collinite put in their waxes (after all, 845 was used to insulate power lines).

Setec Astronomy
11-05-2011, 07:02 AM
My other guess is that wax's low melting point may be to blame...it does not take much warmth to get wax to a point where it will flow and given the high rate of rotation for a car wheel...I could see that over time the wax would have a tendency to migrate to the outer edges of the wheel.

Please don't start everyone going on this nonsense again (I've been through this on other forums). Unless you're tracking your car and getting your brake rotors red-hot, your wheels aren't getting as hot as a black car in the sun. And the centrifugal force isn't any more than the air blast over your car driving at 75 mph. Besides, we're not talking about a coat of paint that actually has thickness and could be disturbed by gravity, we're talking about a molecules-thick layer of wax that is adhered to the surface through atomic attraction.

I've burned my arm a few times on a hot car window sill but never on a wheel.