PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else's hands start shedding after detailing?

Pages : [1] 2

noname5
02-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I guess if you're easily disgusted maybe this thread isn't for you, but I assume since its common enough we should be all right here :D

Yea... it seems that anytime I handle any type of wax or sealant, for about two days after the detail, the skin on the underside of my hand will feel almost like plastic... really tight and totally void of any oils and stuff. Then about three days later, it'll start shedding like crazy, like it is right now.

I put a coat of Max Wax on the tC a couple days ago, but have always had this problem, whether it be DP sealant, Aquawax, Natty's Blue, Rain-X, whatever might have alcohol or petroleum distillates.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know a reason maybe?

I'm thinking of getting some MF detailing gloves with my next order from AG, I think my skin will thank me. :awesome:

abrcrombe
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Definitely DON'T have that problem...
that does not sound very normal.

justin_murphy
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Mine did. I started wearing rubber gloves all the time now. I just use to many things for a long period of time. I actually got some sore on mine during the summer. All gone now.

Invest in gloves. Trust me.

justin_murphy
02-16-2007, 03:23 PM
I doubled posted!!!

Shoot me.

ryandamartini
02-16-2007, 03:29 PM
i will get that when i work with harsher compounds or polishes, cleaning agents etc.. Some nice gloves are a good investment.

noname5
02-16-2007, 03:33 PM
thanks guys... so, justin, I see that you use rubber gloves... may I ask what kind of gloves?

Medical gloves, the yellow kitchen rubber gloves? Latex versions of these maybe? Not sure what I should be using. Also, is there a risk of marring if my hand were to slip off the foam app or whatever I'm using onto te paint?

67Customs
02-16-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't work with gloves and I don't have problems, but my buddy always uses gloves because it makes his hands feel funny like you are saying. So, I guess it is up to the user and how they react to chemicals.

If you react like that to stuff, I would wear gloves.

CalgaryDetail
02-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I sometimes get it, depending on the products i use. p21 gell wheel cleaner does that to my hands. It must have somthing to do with the oils and sovlents in the chemicals. I use egloves fro everything now. They keep my hands safe (my hands are bad enough as it is) and i dont have to worry about the chemiclas getting into my skin. Gloves are cheap enougha as it. You might as well invest

Al-53
02-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Invest in a box of Nitrile gloves..they fit tight and and you can pick up a dime with them..meaning you have your dexterity .....you can get them at any Home Depot..Lowes and even Wal Marts...good thing about Nitrile they are almost tear proof..not like latex...and solvent proof....

I use them washing parts in a parts cleaner...using chemicals on cars and trucks..

Some car care chemicals can really dry your hands and also burn them..like around your fingernails....

remember the chemicals do get absorbed in the blood thru the skin..

AL

Nuke33
02-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Id just throw some gloves on

ScottB
02-16-2007, 05:54 PM
mine itch a little from the vibrations, but chemically no shaking or burning sensations. Been known to get a little excited after seeing my finished work.

Kelso
02-16-2007, 06:33 PM
no skin issues here, but i always come home with dirty hands and cant clean them at all, i have to wait for the skin to die. i wear gloves on occasion but usually not, they get in my way at work personally

ltoman
02-16-2007, 07:23 PM
I have never heard of that. I would definitely go with gloves - that must be mighty uncomfortable.
I think you should use hand cream on a regular basis. Sounds like your skin is too dry to start with.
Wife/girlfriend will have some. If not just go in wallyworld. it is not like you have to buy stuff that will make you smell like flowers.
Good luck and let us know how you cure this.
Perhaps you are allergic to an ingredient??

Lauren

dengood1
02-16-2007, 07:53 PM
mine itch a little from the vibrations, but chemically no shaking or burning sensations. Been known to get a little excited after seeing my finished work.

You ARE talking about your hands, right??:D

Jimmie
02-16-2007, 08:01 PM
A friend of mine started having the same thing happen. The palms of his hands would peel like a sunburn. It was diagnosed as an alergic reaction to the rubber in his golf grips. He started wearing two golf gloves and the problem went away.
It can't be an alergy to wax. SAY IT AINT SO! SAY IT AINT SO!