PDA

View Full Version : number of times you can compound/polish a clearcoat

Pages : [1] 2

cpa5oh
11-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I just used compound on my car with a Porter Cable and orange pads. Next step is to use Meguiars #105 to finish it...this whole process got me to thinking...

If you had a client that brought a car to you and you had to take out swirls/wash scratches (but no scratches deeper than what is caused by washing without using proper care,) you corrected it with something like Meguiars 205 and 105 and a Porter Cable with foam pads, then they didn't take real good care of it and they came back again the following year with the same car, same condition...how many years/times could you correct that paint before you got through the clearcoat and it was ruined?

I know part of the answer is going to be "it depends" (on the car, how bad the paint is when it gets to you, and how many times it had been corrected previously) but I'm just kinda looking for a ballpark...are we only able to do this a few times or are we good to do this many times?

I have no idea how deep swirls and wash scratches are in relation to how thick a clear coat actually is...which I think is where the answer to the question lies. There's a ton of information on this site and I learn everytime I hit the forum to read, but this is kind of a big picture question that I haven't come across here.

Thanks!

A-train
11-02-2011, 08:36 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/21620-how-many-times-can-you-buff.html

Here is the same question that was asked in 09...and you prob guessed it there is no definitive answer, as mike states there are too many variables. The real only way I can think of to get a ball park is to find out exactly the thickness of your paint, then on a ball park say you would be removing 2-4 microns of paint if you went with the 105 -205 combination every time then just divide the two. If it's a client and they have had their paint buffed before then you really don't know the starting point of micron thickness. So therefore a paint thickness guage would be important if you wanted to know exactly. I think this is where educating your clients on proper wash techniques would be key, so when they come back next year you have other options then starting with the most aggressive method. Not a pro here nor do i own a pt guage...just my 2cents.

Rsurfer
11-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Meg's 105 is a compound

[QUOTE=cpa5oh;563246]I just used compound on my car with a Porter Cable and orange pads. Next step is to use Meguiars #105 to finish it...this whole process got me to thinking...

There are paint gauges that can measure the thickness of clear coat, but that would cost you several thousand dollars.

A-train So therefore a paint thickness guage would be important if you wanted to know exactly.

jocassee
11-02-2011, 09:30 PM
A paint isnt thousands of dollars. Granted a DeFelsko is 700.00. The only problem I have with one is they measure total paint not clearcoat. So we work with clearcoat unless we're working on single stage paint. And for cpa5oh, I will only do my vehicle twice...if its bad...and that second time may be years down the road too. A ton of varibles come in to play when dealing with it. A-Train hit it on the head....when I do a vehicle for someone I tell them the correct way to wash it and take care of it and hope for the best.

Rsurfer
11-02-2011, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=jocassee;563296]A paint isnt thousands of dollars.

It is if you wanted to measure clear only.

cpa5oh
11-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Meg's 105 is a compound

[QUOTE=cpa5oh;563246]I just used compound on my car with a Porter Cable and orange pads. Next step is to use Meguiars #105 to finish it...this whole process got me to thinking...

There are paint gauges that can measure the thickness of clear coat, but that would cost you several thousand dollars.

A-train So therefore a paint thickness guage would be important if you wanted to know exactly.

My fault - I meant 205.

And that thread referenced above, on the fourth page, has a post that pretty much answers my question without giving a # - seemed to me to say that as long as the paint is sound and you don't try buffing and buffing and buffing to remove every last defect (stick to removing the wash scratches and swirls,) getting through the clear with a Porter Cable isn't much of a concern.

jocassee
11-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Youre exactly right. We're not detailing Bugatti Veyrons. Get it as good as you can and to what degree youre happy with it. 99% of the people that see it will think its flawless anyways. You will be the only one that knows.

FUNX650
11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
[QUOTE=jocassee;563296]A paint isnt thousands of dollars.

It is if you wanted to measure clear only.

:iagree:

There are Defelsko (among other brands) electronic paint thickness gauges (ETG's) for coatings such as: ferrous, non-ferrous, plastics, fiberglass, and other composites...even powder-coatings.

You can usually find the Defelsko PosiTector 200 C/ADV that will measure up to three (3) seperate film layers on sale for around $2850...sans accessories.

Bob

C. Charles Hahn
11-02-2011, 10:13 PM
12 times. Exactly 12 times.

:joking:

As others have said, a PTG is the best investment you can make so you have a ballpark estimate of what you're dealing with.

FUNX650
11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
[quote=Rsurfer;563276]Meg's 105 is a compound

My fault - I meant 205.

And that thread referenced above, on the fourth page, has a post that pretty much answers my question without giving a # - seemed to me to say that as long as the paint is sound and you don't try buffing and buffing and buffing to remove every last defect (stick to removing the wash scratches and swirls,) getting through the clear with a Porter Cable isn't much of a concern.

IMO....There needs to be concern! (some threads on this forum about "burning through" with a PC do exist):

Lots of variables. Here's some:
-Paint is sound (?)...Please explain.
-abrasiveness of compound/polish/correction media
-type of pad
-pressure applied
-NO. of passes

Please exercise caution.

:)

Bob

embolism
11-02-2011, 10:30 PM
I remember asking this question when I first got here too!

CEE DOG
11-02-2011, 10:31 PM
12 times. Exactly 12 times.

LOL!

[quote=cpa5oh;563301]

IMO....There needs to be concern! (some threads on this forum about "burning through" with a PC do exist):

Lots of variables. Here's some:
-Paint is sound (?)...Please explain.
-abrasiveness of compound/polish/correction media
-type of pad
-pressure applied
-NO. of passes

Please exercise caution.

:)

Bob

Good advice Bob :props: People start thinking that its foolproof and polish the edge of a panel or high point too aggressive (for example) and they may be in for a bad day.

rousher99
11-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Youre exactly right. We're not detailing Bugatti Veyrons. Get it as good as you can and to what degree youre happy with it. 99% of the people that see it will think its flawless anyways. You will be the only one that knows.

99%of people don't have automotive eyes like the people on this forum.. i have gone to plenty of car shows and got kicked out because they gave the wrong person the "best paint" trophy.... and as for buffing just get a paint thickness checker... i am a poor guy so i just guestimate.. if you put the polish in between your fingers you can feel how aggressive it will be, then just multiply the simple heat factor and the pad choice and there you go detailing math.. don't make things too hard just use alittle bit of comon sence and it makes sense..(at least to me it does)

rousher99
11-02-2011, 10:45 PM
A paint isnt thousands of dollars. Granted a DeFelsko is 700.00. The only problem I have with one is they measure total paint not clearcoat. So we work with clearcoat unless we're working on single stage paint. And for cpa5oh, I will only do my vehicle twice...if its bad...and that second time may be years down the road too. A ton of varibles come in to play when dealing with it. A-Train hit it on the head....when I do a vehicle for someone I tell them the correct way to wash it and take care of it and hope for the best.
if im not looking for a profit i can spray a clear coat for $300 on a coupe.. but once you add in the painters wage and utilities its ab out $900 around here. thats why i do all my own body and paintwork.

oldmodman
11-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Here is my answer.

A lot.

I bought a 1992 Explorer and for the first 8 years I used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax by hand.
Then I got a Porter Cable and used Meguiar's #84, #83, & #82 exclusively. Right up until the clear coat started to fail. Right on the spot I had tried to get rid of bird bomb etching. Just a slight pale spot at first, but now I have clear coat failure over most of the upper surfaces of the car.
So a relatively thin Ford Clearcoat lasted almost twenty years. And (I'm guessing here" appx 80 corrections with various products.
So if you only keep your car three to five years. Go ahead and polish away! I doubt that you will go through the clearcoat. But just remember to use the mildest product you have.