PDA

View Full Version : ONR safe to use after not washing car for a month?

Pages : [1] 2

rivaladversary
11-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Yea, I've been busy lately so I have not had the time to wash my car.

I live in SF so my car isn't super dirty, but it definitely accumulated a lot of dust and dirt.

I plan on hosing the car down first, and then use ONR. Is that safe enough? I use the 2 bucket method and this is exactly how I use ONR on my 2010 Black Acura TSX:

1. Half of Roof + Windshield, Rinse
2. Other half of roof + rear window, Rinse
3. Entire Hood, Rinse
4. Entire Trunk area, Rinse
5. Doors, Top to bottom (including windows), rinsing for every door completed
6. Rest of the sides, Rinse
7. Back Bumper, Rinse
8. Front bumper.

Should I make more trips to the ONR solution bucket or it should be fine?

SameGuy
11-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Isn't the whole point of No-Rinse the no-rinsing?

rivaladversary
11-01-2011, 11:31 PM
it's more of a safety measure

Jimmie
11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm currently in a no car wash apt so I go to the spray wand wash; set it to "rinse" only; spray the whole car with clear H2O; use UWW+; dry. Gives me more confidence that I'm not going to induce swirls when I knock off the heavy dust.

Dugdug
11-02-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't have a ton of experience with ONR yet, but Ive washed about 5 cars with it. I love it, I tell my customers about it and have them smell it lol. Any car I wash here in Wichita usually pretty dirty. But I still havent found a car yet that needed a hose. It works like a charm. If the car isnt too dirty, ill just take the ONR from the spray bottle and a bunch of micro fibers and ditch the bucket. Only problem with that is I go through a lot of micro fibers but I have tons and I just throw them in the washer at the end of the day. Havent had any problems with swirl marks using that method, so long as I always wipe with a clean micro fiber.

As far as your trips go, with the 2 bucket system, that seems about right. I personally have to take more trips to the bucket because I work a lot on the sun. I do smaller sections at a time and dry it with my micro fiber blanket before the sun does.

Matt
11-02-2011, 06:10 AM
It all depends on how dirty the car is although someone on here washed a black car covered with road salt some time ago and it cleaned it with no dramas.

As for the rinsing, you'll find that almost all of the dirt will be removed by the wash mitt so the rinsing is an absolute waste of time, kinda like wearing a seatbelt and racing helmet when you're sitting on your couch at home watching Nascar.

If you use the two bucket system you should be fine, I use a 5 gallon bucket for my second bucket (clean water) and a 2.5 gallon bucket for my wash solution bucket (ONR). You'll find that your wash mitt will be extremely dirty after use, but the dirt will rinse out with a regular car wash shampoo in your laundry sink.

Rsurfer
11-02-2011, 07:16 AM
So your using ONR as a bucket wash?
it's more of a safety measure

Ron Atchison
11-02-2011, 07:27 AM
I think what OP is saying is he rinses the car then uses ONR two bucket method. Rinsing after each panel in the rinse bucket. His question is should he do a smaller section at a time between rinsing his washing media. I hope!

Rsurfer
11-02-2011, 07:32 AM
So isn't that method a bucket wash? He is rinsing with bucket water instead of a hose.
I think what OP is saying is he rinses the car then uses ONR two bucket method. Rinsing after each panel in the rinse bucket. His question is should he do a smaller section at a time between rinsing his washing media. I hope!

Y2KSVT
11-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I think he means rinsing out his sponge, as in sticking it in the rinse bucket with a grit guard. Not physically rinsing off his vehicle with the bucket. :doh:

rivaladversary
11-02-2011, 10:08 AM
sorry, i guess i wasn't clear. i meant rinsing as in rinsing my washing media.

Twister
11-02-2011, 10:36 AM
If you want to feel safe you can rinse off at the car wash first. As long as it is just dust on the car and you're using two buckets I think you will be fine without rinsing. I haven't tested the limits of rinseless washes yet so I can't really say what is "too dirty" I tend to always error on the side of caution.

Ron Atchison
11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
Skip to 1:20 to see what he is talking about doing.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmXZG85dByk&feature=relmfu]Part 2 - How to use a Rinseless Car Wash to wash your car - YouTube[/video]

shoeless89
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I would say it's safe enough. I went to SF by the way over the Summer. My favorite city I have EVER been to and I have been a lot of places. I really want to move out there!

DejaVu
11-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I use ONR on my vehicle for every wash. The only time you shouldn't use ONR is if there is mud all over the car or maybe dried on grass clippings. Those require a powerwash rinse before you use the ONR. I've washed my car with ONR in conditions I would never recommend, and my paint isn't covered in visible scratches or swirls I just had to use an extra 4 gallons to get through the crud and leave a clean finish. I only use 1 bucket I don't even have a gritguard.