PDA

View Full Version : Full paint refinish on Cadillac XLR-V suggestions

FlawlessJ
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Hey guys I am doing a paint correction on a Cadillac XLR-V and am trying to figure out the best way to go about it? Do you guys have any suggestions or tips?

LuxuryMobile
11-01-2011, 07:26 PM
The paint is probably going to be pretty hard.

What color are you working with and what correction are you looking to achieve (80%, 90%, etc.)

What products/pads do you have?

Tape off any trim, test spot first, use lights to see true paint condition.

FlawlessJ
11-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Sorry about that, it is a metallic red and I have a lot of supplies... I have a rotary and orbital pads from orange to red... PO85rd meguiars 102,205 I have a wool pad but not sure on what ply... And numerous other products the paint is heavily marred and buffer trails on most of it. I would like to minimally get an 80% correction

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

LuxuryMobile
11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
There are of course many different angles to attack this but knowing the paint is going to be pretty hard something to consider is will you have any restrictions such as: owner's budget, time to get car finished, how many steps are you willing to do.

If you are comfortable with the rotary, it may need rotary and M105 is the paint is beat up. Of course then followed by a finer pad/polish combo.

Your best bet is to really to a test spot (or a few) until you find the combo that yields results you want. Once you have done that, its all a matter of repeating to the rest of the paint.

FlawlessJ
11-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Cool, pretty much what I was thinking just like to do a check and make sure I was right haha I really appreciate it!

LuxuryMobile
11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
And most importantly, if you have the time, photo document the job and put a "show n shine" write up together.

FlawlessJ
11-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Absolutely will do, I planned on documenting the whole thing. I will probably write it up and put it on here Monday... Car is in our garage right now so ill be starting first thing tomorrow...