PDA

View Full Version : pad washer for mobile detailer?

Pages : [1] 2

LSUFAN
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
ill keep it short and sweet for you guys. Out of the two pad washers AG carrys which one would you recommend for a mobile setup. the grit guard was my first choice but being that the megs one is on sell at the moment was thinking of maybe saving a few buck. but thought id get some opinions first. Thanks :xyxthumbs:

dtuna42
11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Aren't they basically the same thing?

Kristopher1129
11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Same thing. Save yourself the dough and just pressure wash the pads. That's what I do.

rider9195
11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
They seem to be the pad washer. I would go with the Meguiar's because it is on sale. I have the Grit Guard one and it does work great.

LuxuryMobile
11-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Same thing. Save yourself the dough and just pressure wash the pads. That's what I do.

Pressure washer and spin them dry on a rotary. Cant beat that!

LSUFAN
11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
ok thats what i figured there pretty much the same, an they both have screw on lids for transport. How water tight are they. Will be putting it in the trailer. but never had a problem with my other 5 gallon buckets tipping over now that i think of it.
Really you pressure wash your pads? How?

LSUFAN
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
do you just place them on the ground and hit them with the pressure washer?

LuxuryMobile
11-01-2011, 07:24 PM
I would spray them with some APC and agitate by hand or with a brush. Then place them somewhere clean, not floor, just in case the pressure washer causes the pad to flip over.

Then air dry if you don't need to reuse same day, or slap them on a rotary and spin at a reasonable speed.

slickooz
11-01-2011, 07:41 PM

+1

I put them inside milk crates on top of my bucket, and power wash my pads.

Kristopher1129
11-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Really you pressure wash your pads? How?

I usually spray a little APC, let it soak for a minute. Then place the pad somewhere clean. Sometimes I stick them in my floor mat clamps, then pressure wash it against the wall.

Squeeze out the excess water, and spin it against a MF, or use an air gun. A lot of times I'll use the pad right then and there.

If those pad cleaners were cheaper...I'd get one. But I really have no issues with keeping my pads clean without it.

opie_7afe
11-01-2011, 08:04 PM
can just cut down a bucket and put a grit guard in there. just make sure theres not too much water, all the pad washers are is a 5 gallon bucket,a grit guard, and some simple plastic piston pumps...very simple idea, is it worth 135$? not to me for a 5 gallon bucket!.....i just don't see the point in spending 135 on a pad washer.....ill stick to my normal method after done with a pad toss in bucket with some apc and dawn added, then if you need clean pads brush em,rinse em, spin dry on rotary.i just try to think of one thing when im about to buy something and that is "do I really need this for one simple thing"but answer to your question the megs unit and the grit guard unit is the same thing, there is another pad washer with some gear looking things in there but i believe its for a rotary and wool pads....maybe if the pad washers were 40$ i might buy one but as i said i refuse to pay 135 for 5$ worth of plastic....

Kristopher1129
11-01-2011, 08:08 PM
can just cut down a bucket and put a grit guard in there. just make sure theres not too much water, all the pad washers are is a 5 gallon bucket,a grit guard, and some simple plastic piston pumps...very simple idea, is it worth 135$? not to me for a 5 gallon bucket!.....i just don't see the point in spending 135 on a pad washer.....ill stick to my normal method after done with a pad toss in bucket with some apc and dawn added, then if you need clean pads brush em,rinse em, spin dry on rotary.i just try to think of one thing when im about to buy something and that is "do I really need this for one simple thing"but answer to your question the megs unit and the grit guard unit is the same thing, there is another pad washer with some gear looking things in there but i believe its for a rotary and wool pads....maybe if the pad washers were 40$ i might buy one but as i said i refuse to pay 135 for 5$ worth of plastic....

I tried that grit guard in a bucket idea. I liked it...but I only have one grit guard, and it's for my wash bucket. The compound and polish ends up caking on the grit guard and bucket.

But, if you set aside a different bucket and grit guard...definitely just as good as any pad cleaner.

C. Charles Hahn
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Aren't they basically the same thing?

Not just basically, they are functionally identical.

Jaddie
11-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Dear Friends

What's "APC"?

BobbyG
11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Dear Friends

What's "APC"?

APC is an acronym. I avoid using acronyms for this very reason....

Now, depending on the venue it could mean;

Armored Personnel Carrier
American Power Converter
All Purpose Cleaner

In this case it's All Purpose Cleaner......... :props: