PDA

View Full Version : Using Iron X on wheels

lee1dew
11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm about to use Iron X on my wheels for the first time and had a couple of questions:

1. No need to worry about using it on factory brake calipers, right? As I understand it, it's aftermarket brake calipers with acrylic-based paint that I would need to worry about.

2. I've never seen a picture of Iron X being used on a wheel with the wheel weights taped off. Does anyone actually do this or does it not really matter? I've heard that it can turn the wheel weights green and that a little scrubbing will restore the original color. Is that true?

courtdale
11-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I read the same on the weights and will be covering mine.

C. Charles Hahn
11-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Most wheel weights these days have a coating on them; I've never experienced any problem with discoloration.

Judge
11-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Initially I taped off wheel weights but it's too time-consuming

BMW
11-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Depends on the wheel weights...some are actually coated and you do not have to worry about exposed lead.

I avoid getting Iron-X on anything but the wheels...dabbing it on is quite effective and just be rather careful about your aim when spraying. A piece of cardboard can work as an effective backstop...fairly easy to use especially with the front wheels since they can be turned.