PDA

View Full Version : Prime pad for 845 application?

Wes8398
11-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I've read the 845 sticky a hand full of times already. The author mentioned priming his tangerine HT pad with his pre-wax polish, but doesn't address whether he did this with his crimson HT pad and 845 as well. So, I know that just a few pea sized drops will do a fairly large area, but do I prime the pad first? If so, how much do you use to prime? Just enough to cover the face of the pad?
Thanks guys. Almost completely done my very first detail. Megs MF system was completed about 5 days ago, now I just need to wash and get this wax on. A write up and pics will likely be coming tonight or tomorrow. :)

shoeless89
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't go crazy with the priming I just spread a little out at first then just add very small amounts as needed. I wouldn't say you have to totally cover the face of the pad

BobbyG
11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
When I apply Collinite 845

DO NOT COVER THE FACE OF THE PAD WITH COLLINITE 845....

On a clean dry pad I squeeze out 3 dime size globs equally spaced 3/4" or so in from the outer edge. Set the speed setting to 3, place the pad on the surface and switch it on..

Work the product in a criss-cross overlapping pattern and spread very thin. Wait until the product hazes; 30 minutes at 70 degrees, and buff with a clean Microfiber towel...

Wes8398
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Ok. I won't prime the pad like I did with the MF system pads. I'll just get a bit of product on it and lay it down.
Your "3" setting, is that on a GG 6" by chance? Seems this tool is a bit faster than the PC, etc.

BobbyG
11-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Speed 3 is on my Porter Cable 7424 dual action polisher. Speed 3 is just a medium setting and has always worked well for sealants and waxes..

Wes8398
11-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Many thanks. I'll go 2.5 on the GG... just 'cause. lol
Time to get to 'er!

Lasthope05
11-01-2011, 07:08 PM
There is a simpler way of applying 845 by machine or hand and that is by putting a sprayer head on it. One light spray per panel is all thats needed and spread around just like a normal spray wax. This is the only way I apply 845 now because it is so runny.

rider9195
11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Many thanks. I'll go 2.5 on the GG... just 'cause. lol
Time to get to 'er!

Personally I feel like speed 3 is slow for spreading waxes and sealants. If you are using a foam wax/sealant pad with a finishing wax or sealant using a higher speed like 4 won't hurt it. I use speed 4 for spreading sealants and feel that it takes less time and spreads more evenly. Everybody has their own way of doing it though.

skipper1
11-01-2011, 08:44 PM
There is a simpler way of applying 845 by machine or hand and that is by putting a sprayer head on it. One light spray per panel is all thats needed and spread around just like a normal spray wax. This is the only way I apply 845 now because it is so runny.

I just started using 845 and you are right. Let it sit in the sun and get thin, one spray in your pad and go to town. I actually think you use less wax doing it this way.

Wes8398
11-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I already did it the other way; putting a few little globs on per section. Sometimes I felt like I wasn't putting enough down, other times I knew there was waaay too much. Regardless, I fumbled my way through it. I think I'll find a spray nozzle for it next time.
I'm actually a little pissed with myself because I think I installed some swirls/hologram-looking crap to what I was previously REALLY impressed with. Maybe it's the gloss of the 845, maybe it's just my eye being pickier now that it's been done for a week, or maybe it was my wash (shouldn't have been as I employed the 2BM method, dried with a clean Guzzler, etc), but I went to take some after-845 pictures and saw some flaws that I didn't think were there before. Disappointing, but this is my first time, and it was a pre-winter detail, so I'm sure the snow and ice will add to these imperfections anyway. Overall I'm happy. A write up is coming.