PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection against rock chipping

Cruisermark
02-16-2007, 11:07 AM
What is the best thing to use along the rocker pannels and inner fenders to protect from rock chips? I have tried the 3M clear adhesive strips but they do not lay down very well on curver surfaces and also, I am afraid that they will yellow with age. I also have a catylist hardened clear protection coating that is sprayed on but wonder if there is something else out there. Since I repainted my truck, I have no added protection on the lower sections of the panels and need to do something soon as I already have small chips that I will have to repair. Since I am off road quite often, I have to provide extra protection to the paint.

Thanks

JoeD
02-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Do you have mud guards on your vehicle? They will help with the kicking up of small stones that can cause chips on the lower rocket panels and lower rear quarters. Not much help for inner wheel wells. Just a thought.

Cruisermark
02-16-2007, 11:24 AM
Yea, I have the mud flaps/guards on but mostly I get gravel hitting the lower forward portion of the flares on the back doors. The factory had that clear adhesive stuff but it really looked bad and was cracking. That is why I am hesitant to use it again.

chu
02-16-2007, 11:28 AM
I dont think there's much you can do to protect against rocks. One thing is on long drives, tape essential areas up, such as front bumpers, fenders, etc.

noname5
02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
yea, and if on the regular road, stay far, far behind large SUVs, trucks, semi's, etc. Big tires + high clearance can mean rocks can get kicked out from behind another vehicle and be airborne for a long time.

Surfer
02-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Looks like a nice lifted FJ80? Any other pics? We have an 05' LX470 of which I've taken offroad but it's basiclaly stock except for intake/exhaust. Ex-gf a couple years ago, her brother had a bad ass lifted 96'. He started Landcrusher.com if your familiar with the site.

Cruisermark
02-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Yea, I have heard of that site. I have been building on my cruiser now for a few years and enjoy doing all of my own work. At Sleeoffroad.com, you can find alot of parts and kits for the Landcruisers. I currently am running the Slee 4" springs which are included in the 4" kit. Its kind of funny how some of those guys wheel their trucks and hit rocks, trees and whatever else. My cruiser is every bit as capable and that gives me piece of mind knowing that if I had to get somewhere difficult, my truck will get me there. I am just much more careful and have no desire to bang up my new paint and dentless panels. When I do go off road, I wash it imediately at home with low pressure hose, especially the under cairrage. I just know how much easier it is to keep it clean if I keep up with it regularly.

Strokin04
02-16-2007, 09:22 PM
People I know that offroad there jeeps get them sprayed with line-x and that stuff is tough. You can also get different colors sprayed and the vehicles that I have seen actually look good. In fact I have been thinking about doing my lower panels on my truck and line-x has a nationwide lifetime warranty. Mike...

Cruisermark
02-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Yes the LineX is a good idea but I would not want to do that with my only vehicle and also after I have repainted like I have. Some guys have taken their fender flares o the Landcruisers and sprayed them with LineX and they look pretty good and they don't have to worry about scratching or chiping. I do have a full length roof rack that I am thinking about spraying with LineX or equivalent but I would want to be able to control the amount of texture and also the sheen. I would want it to be a semi-gloss rather than just flat black.

Mark